SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
    I should have consulted Google earlier. The plane was used to ferry our SAF boys to their Brunei jungle training.
    Originally posted by pokfur View Post
    Back when I flew it, it was also an SR series with Ultimo seats.
    Back when I flew there, it was an SQ 757

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
    I don't think the IFE was switched on, and the cabin crew had the most sullen faces.
    No IFE on the 757's. But the best IFE was later on, out the open doors of the bird below! They flew them doors wide open. I had the biggest grin on my face looking at the scenery going by...

Last edited by yflyer; 22 October 2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Yes during my NS overseas' training some many years ago, we always flew by SIA to Taiwan, Brunei and Australia. Never really heard about our SAF using foreign carriers.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        Yes during my NS overseas' training some many years ago, we always flew by SIA to Taiwan, Brunei and Australia. Never really heard about our SAF using foreign carriers.
        Off-topic from this thread.... but these days it is the lowest quote that gets the business. Previous years apart from SQ, there are BI chartered to BWN, CI/BR to KHH/TPE (I flew on BR B744 once too), MH/QF/NZ to Rockhampton, TG to DMK etc...
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
          Flew on the same flight too, but was on a MEGATOP B747-400! The IFE was switched on and the crew were fine, but the catering was dismal... Fried rice with minimal proteins for main course and canned fruit cocktail for dessert. Also, soft drinks were very limited and quickly ran out. Also flew on the chartered B772 SR series to Kaohsiung with similar service.
          According to a trip record I found on airliners.net, apparently one of the SQ 747-400 chartered for the SAF flight had pre-SkySuites First Class Interior, which was identical to present day US domestic first seats!

TR: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156453

Image: http://bit.ly/2xd7DbD

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            OK troops, sorry to deviate from Memory Lane but the purple cabin club has been given new deployments...

SRL only missed its evening flight pair for two days, replaced by SV-refitted craft. It maintained its morning flight pair every day, however.

SVF on the other hand has been taken off its usual MNL assignment and is working for TR again. First a flight to SYD, then for 3 nights running it's headed to MEL in place of a Scoot 787.
            SVF seems to be following the same approach as SRJ which was moved to do a series of TR flights before being taken for heavy maintenance prior to moving to NokScoot. SVF will turn 16 in January so would need to be delivered that month under Thai law. Withdrawal for service about now would work for that timing. This also lines up with the Feb delivery of the next aircraft for NokScoot (after SRJ this month).

That then leaves SRL. Based on the SQ fleet plan for this FY, it should be withdrawn by the end of March. 2-3 months for maintenance would then leave it ready for delivery by June / July which is when it turns 16. This is still a few months before the next expected delivery for NokScoot in October. It is possible that the removal of the ICAO red flag will speed up the delivery I guess.

Next year will be even more interesting. It looks like quite a few 787s and possibly regional A350s will join the fleet next year. There are 3 A330s that would be older than 6 years so it will be interesting to see if they all leave the fleet and the new 787s just replace them or if they stay longer with more of the old 777s leaving.

The old 777-300s are also interesting - there are only 5 remaining and some are still only 12.5 years old while others are over 16.

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
              Next year will be even more interesting. It looks like quite a few 787s and possibly regional A350s will join the fleet next year.
              On top of that the A380 fleet should be back up to 19 aircraft and the 77W refit should finally be complete, adding a bit of extra capacity. Although they may be starting to refit the older A380's. I'd say there will be quite a few aircraft been pulled out of service during the next Singapore financial year.

Comment

SRL only missed its evening flight pair for two days, replaced by SV-refitted craft. It maintained its morning flight pair every day, however.
                Yes, I noticed that SRL is back to its twice-daily BKK run.

Mehopes that someone will charter an SIA plane on 26 November for I'm booked on SQ982. Let's pray hard!

Comment

Yes, I noticed that SRL is back to its twice-daily BKK run.

Mehopes that someone will charter an SIA plane on 26 November for I'm booked on SQ982. Let's pray hard!
                  May the force be with you. If not, collect some pics and keep for nostalgia sakes if you think this will be your last adventure on purple cabins

Comment

• Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
                    May the force be with you. If not, collect some pics and keep for nostalgia sakes if you think this will be your last adventure on purple cabins
                    Hehe. I'll do a trip report for sure! Yeah, while SRL may not be the newest plane in SIA's fleet, this flight will be one worth remembering. We all miss the 747, don't we?

Comment

Hehe. I'll do a trip report for sure! Yeah, while SRL may not be the newest plane in SIA's fleet, this flight will be one worth remembering. We all miss the 747, don't we?
                      I can't help but recall what one Leading Stewardess remarked during a recent Grabhitch ride (she had just done the SQ972/SQ975 turnaround a few days before we met). "The IFE screen is even smaller than an iPad mini. Cannot make it...".

Comment

SVF on the other hand has been taken off its usual MNL assignment and is working for TR again. First a flight to SYD, then for 3 nights running it's headed to MEL in place of a Scoot 787.
                        Hehe... tongue in cheek, I won't mind a flat bed on scootbiz anytime

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          Yes during my NS overseas' training some many years ago, we always flew by SIA to Taiwan, Brunei and Australia. Never really heard about our SAF using foreign carriers.
                          They use QF for trips down to Rocky at times. Did it once during my active NS days and once recently for reservist

Comment

We only have a few months left before I am 95% sure that all the purple will be gone. That TR will be much loved in a few years when people remember back.

Comment

We only have a few months left before I am 95% sure that all the purple will be gone. That TR will be much loved in a few years when people remember back.
                              I have pics from flying SRL to Manila but never wrote a report though! Maybe will save it for the day that she's history... My report on SVF from earlier this year is however somewhere in the deep recesses of this website. Am currently scheduled to fly her in end Nov but things may change.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                                I have pics from flying SRL to Manila but never wrote a report though! Maybe will save it for the day that she's history... My report on SVF from earlier this year is however somewhere in the deep recesses of this website. Am currently scheduled to fly her in end Nov but things may change.
                                Are you sure if you'd know if you were on SRL? Let's wait to see if it flies to BKK again and then we'll have enough evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X