No announcement yet.

SQ poised to choose Boeing for next massive order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news! Although it seems likely that SQ might go down the route of 10-abreast 777 with the -9. With other operators like the ME3 and CX poised to offer 10-abreast, it will be difficult for SQ to offer competitive fares in Economy otherwise with 9-abreast. Economy class passengers are more price sensitive and most wouldn't even be aware whether an airline offers 9-abreast or 10-abreast on their 777...

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
      I don't think the 777x are replacing the 77W. They might replace the 77W but I believe the bulk of them is to replace the A380s.

By the time the 777x enters service, SQ's A380 will be hitting 9 to 10 years. Giving the 2nd hand market for the A380s is not positive and the glut of 380s from EK, SQ might be better off getting ride of the earlier.
      Hmm... I don't think the 777-9s were purchased to replace the A380s, as that would be quite a significant drop in capacity. On top of that, their current fleet of 777-300ERs are older than the A380s, so the 779s are probably intended to replace the first batch of 77Ws (SWA-SWT).

Still pretty surprised SQ ended up going with the 777X, as I thought they would've gone with the A350-1000 for fleet commonality, etc. I really hope Boeing addresses the noise levels in the 77W and provides better sound insulation in the 779.

Comment

I also dont think that the A380s will be replaced any time soon. There are still 5 to come and the first 5 will be returned to Lessor. As the resale market is bad they may anyway opt to hold on (as they do for the old nonER-777).

The first batch of 77W are getting quite old. I do see some need to replace all the other 777 variants in the fleet, though some will be replaced by the A350.

Are A330s all leased?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
          The first batch of 77W are getting quite old. I do see some need to replace all the other 777 variants in the fleet, though some will be replaced by the A350.
          The oldest 77Ws are around 11 years old, which is considered old by SQ standards. What surprised me is that SQ is doing such thorough refits (new seats in every cabin, new IFE, WiFi) on all their 77Ws, which means that they would be around for quite a while longer. SQ's new fleet strategy is certainly interesting.

Are A330s all leased?
          Yup, all the A330s are leased.

Comment

Not an expert on these fancy new aircrafts. Could anyone explain on the level of which routes would these aircrafts likely to fly?

Comment

Wow! Looking forward to seeing more new planes in SQ Livery.

Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
              Not an expert on these fancy new aircrafts. Could anyone explain on the level of which routes would these aircrafts likely to fly?
              Very broadly, routes that are flown today by 77W/747s. Boeing is marketing this plane as the largest and most efficient twin-engine jet. Its not substantially larger than the 77W, just a mere 2.9m longer and a cabin about 10cm wider.

Comment

I wouldn't be all that surprised if a large portion of the 49 78J on order are intended for Scoot and other subsidiaries. From a product and brand standpoint, it would make more sense for SQ to use regionally configured A350s on medium haul routes (e,g. Japan, Australia, etc) while utilizing a small fleet of 78J's on higher density short haul hops (CGK, BKK, etc) - I can't see SQ using 9 abreast 787s as extensively as this order suggests.

Comment

WHAT A BEAUTY! Those racked wing tips tho! Note how Boeing has removed the overwing exit to save weight.

Comment

Good point about the doors Avenger777. Also more seats ! Bit of a discussion here:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606227

Comment

Just spoke to someone on condition of anonymity in the company,the aggressive orders are in part in tandem with SQ's strategy to focus on both the Indian and Australia Sub-continent. SQ wants to protect this niche market by covering all cities and providing seamless connections to key destinations worldwide. Makes sense now that I have been "enlightened". In both India and Australia,there is a lack of a local premium carrier capable of providing such connections and SQ's main competition which is the ME3 are ramping up their fleet and SQ cannot slack behind. So better planes and the most cutting edge products to fight the competition. So looking forward to the new arrivals!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                        Just spoke to someone on condition of anonymity in the company,the aggressive orders are in part in tandem with SQ's strategy to focus on both the Indian and Australia Sub-continent. SQ wants to protect this niche market by covering all cities and providing seamless connections to key destinations worldwide. Makes sense now that I have been "enlightened". In both India and Australia,there is a lack of a local premium carrier capable of providing such connections and SQ's main competition which is the ME3 are ramping up their fleet and SQ cannot slack behind. So better planes and the most cutting edge products to fight the competition. So looking forward to the new arrivals!
                        Well this is exactly right and it is what we've seen them begin to do. 5 years ago they were content to offer 3x daily to MEL and turn away customers once those flights filled and they learnt the hard way. These new products can't come fast enough so that destinations like CBR, MEL, BNE, SYD and PER don't get stuck with ancient 772s on flights up to 8 hours. Connecting India with Australia will only get more and more lucrative in the future and the ME3 can't do it because their hub is in the wrong location. QF shows zero interest in getting involved. CX is just too much of a detour, and AI can't organise themselves to do anything with less than a decade. This is SQ's market to lead.

Comment

So i suppose several of the 777-9s will cover such routes with F and J demand and the 787-10s will cover the others with volume demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                            Very nice! I notice the top of the tail has a slant similar to the 787.

Comment

Nice picture, Avenger777!

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Well this is exactly right and it is what we've seen them begin to do. 5 years ago they were content to offer 3x daily to MEL and turn away customers once those flights filled and they learnt the hard way. These new products can't come fast enough so that destinations like CBR, MEL, BNE, SYD and PER don't get stuck with ancient 772s on flights up to 8 hours. Connecting India with Australia will only get more and more lucrative in the future and the ME3 can't do it because their hub is in the wrong location. QF shows zero interest in getting involved. CX is just too much of a detour, and AI can't organise themselves to do anything with less than a decade. This is SQ's market to lead.
                              I have actually heard of a few people who have in fact traveled between Australia/New Zealand and the subcontinent on the ME3. Never mind the backtrack, I guess. SQ is indeed in an ideal position here, as it is has a very good reputation in both of these markets as well as SIN's relatively convenient geographic location. Strange how QF had launched direct flights between SYD and BOM one time, but then rerouted them from BNE via SIN, before soon dropping BOM altogether. Another major player is TG, but it has often had uncertainty due to unpredictable management.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                                Australia has rather more Chinese than Indians (racially) though...

Comment

Working...
                                X