Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planes, Thrills and Meals: SQ to Kansai, Osaka , Kyoto and Universal Studios Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes, Thrills and Meals: SQ to Kansai, Osaka , Kyoto and Universal Studios Japan

Some time in the 2nd half of this year, the different stakeholders in our family of four reached a consensus on where we would go for an end-of-year holiday. I think we all had different reasons to head to Osaka.

Mrs yflyer was clearly going for the cuisine, the shopping scene, and the culture (Probably in that order…). Our two girls voted yes because of the opportunity to visit Universal Studios Japan, located on the outskirts of Osaka, with its recent Harry Potter extension.

Me? All of the reasons above applied to some extent too, but also I did it for KIX…

While I visit Tokyo on a fairly regular basis, I have never been to that marvel of architecture and engineering, Kansai International Airport, a stunning airport built on a man-made island off Osaka Bay. This would be great opportunity to make an aviation pilgrimage to this remarkable structure.

So Osaka and Kyoto it was, and we headed there on SQ at the end of November, and spent the first part of December exploring this fascinating part of Japan.

We would spend two days in Osaka at the start, head to Kyoto for 4 nights, then return to Osaka to visit Universal Studios Japan (USJ) and explore the city and its attractions for the remainder of the trip.

Mrs yflyer had been to Tokyo with her girlfriends in the past, and our kids already had Universal Studios on the itinerary, so they didn’t lobby too hard for Tokyo Disney this time round. There wasn’t a need to fit Tokyo into our 11 day itinerary. That said, if any reader is contemplating a similar trip, it would have been simple to add a few days in Tokyo at the start, or the end, of the itinerary.

As usual, my role in planning this vacation was limited to choosing and booking the flights to and from Osaka, and figuring out how to get from point A to point B once in Japan, whether by train, subway, taxi or on foot. The rest was planned by Mrs yflyer, who in recent years has become quite expert at playing travel planner, utilizing all available internet resources to plan our vacation.

She also needed the help of several Japanese-speaking acquaintances, because some of our reservations could only be done in Japanese, or booked using Japanese language websites.

We stayed mainly in apartments or Japanese style hotels and a traditional house in Kyoto called a machiya. With tatami covered flooring, minimalist wooden design, and comfortable futon bedding on the floor, the accomodations on this trip were a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter rooms in hotel chains that do not give a traveller a sense of place.

And as you would expect from other TR’s featuring Mrs yflyer, we ate a lot...

A couple of gourmet meals in Arashiyama and Osaka aside, it was mainly street food and cheap eats, whether it was street-side ramen, shellfish and sea urchin from the market cooked on the spot, or takoyaki – delicious, creamy minced octopus balls cooked in batter.

The stupendous range of local produce, meat and seafood in butchers, markets and supermarkets meant that Mrs yflyer could cook up a real feast as well, whenever cooking facilities were available in our accomodations. Cook-your-own is definitely a more cost-effective way to sample the famed local cuisine, such as Wagyu, Kobe or Matsusaka beef, compared to eating it in restaurant. If you bought this high-end meat at butchers or supermarkets and cooked it yourself, you could get much more bang for your buck…

A long TR coming up, and as usual, best not to read this on an empty stomach!

You can go straight to different sections of the TR here, or just continue scrolling to begin at the beginning:

SQ Flight SIN-KIX
    Osaka – Hotel Ichei
    Osaka – Dotonburi, Shinsaibashi, Kuromon Ichiba
    Kyoto – Machiya (Traditional House)
    Kyoto – Kichi Kichi Omu-Rice
    Nara - Deer Park
    Kyoto - Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Nishiki Market, Kamo River
    Arashiyama – Temra Matsu
    Kyoto - Gion Geisha District
    Kyoto – Train Journey from Kyoto to Osaka
    Osaka – Dotonburi Apartment
    Osaka – Osaka Castle and Osaka Aquarium
    Osaka – Universal Studios Japan
    Osaka – Kigawa
    Osaka – Seafood and Beef from Kuromon Ichiba Market
    Kansai - Star Gate Hotel
    Kansai - KIX Airport
    SQ Flight KIX-SIN
    Last edited by yflyer; 27 December 2015, 07:28 AM.

Our flight to Osaka, at the end of November, was on SQ616 SIN-KIX, a 2.05pm departure.

We checked in at the combined Krisflyer Gold and Premium Economy check-in area in T3.

Rather than go directly airside, we headed first to the Star Wars promo/exhibit for a few photos.

More on the Star Wars exhibit here...
    Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Our flight today was operated by an Airbus A330-300, registration 9V-STA, a 7 year old plane, which still looked very new both on the outside and the inside…

Boarding began on time…

This was a 2-class aircraft, with the Business Class cabin equipped with SQ’s latest regional J product, with slanted lie-flat seats arranged 2-2-2.

The bright and spacious economy cabin is laid out in conventional 2-4-2 layout.

Christmas décor was up…the cabin looked very cheerful and festive. I hope SQ continues this tradition of decorating their aircraft at Christmas. Any idea if other airlines do this? In an era where even the number of olives in a salad gets scrutinized by airline bean counters, I am glad SQ continues to indulge in Christmas décor for their planes.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

The SQ A330 cabin felt roomy and comfortable.

Seats were equipped with widescreen AVOD IFE, a USB charging port…

…and in-seat A/C power…

The 2-4-2 layout is near ideal for Y class, with a large proportion of window and aisle seats, and no seat more than one away from the aisle.

No obstructions under the seats either.

Row 48 emex row offers a huge amount of extra legroom, and no door protrusion.

Seat recline is good by Y standards, with the front of the seat sliding forward and the whole seat pivoting slightly for greater comfort.

The 2nd Y cabin:

I find SQ's A330 Y cabin very pleasant, one of my favourite equipment types to fly.

At the rate Y cabin designs are going on SQ and any other airline for that matter, this A330 2-4-2 config, may be the the high watermark for economy class comfort. I think this is a great cabin layout, which I would rate very highly, alongside my other SQ favourites: the 3-3-3 Boeing 77W / 77WN Y cabin, and the A380 Y cabin.

At the very least, from the perspective of passenger comfort, the A330 in 2-4-2 is far superior to 10-abreast 777’s and 9-abreast 787 Dreamliners.

I doubt we will see a Y cabin in the immediate future that is significantly more comfortable than this one. I am sure SQ's upcoming A350 cabin will be superb as well, but that is likely to be an incremental improvement, and not a quantum leap ahead.
        Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hot towels were distributed prior to take-off.

As we taxied to departure on runway 02C, a QR A350 landed on runway 02L.

As we took-off on 02C, out of the right side windows, you could see how the reclaimed land to the east of Changi had been cleared and levelled in preparation for construction of the new T5.

We flew due east for a time before turning to the north towards Japan…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Shortly after take-off, the cabin crew came round with a full beverage service (Not just juices, soft drinks and beer on a tray, it was the full works…)….

I ordered a dry martini, and this was meticulously mixed, and served complete with olives.

Mrs yflyer had a Singapore Sling…

The inevitable peanut shot…

Today’s menu…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The Japanese selection, created by culinary panel member, Chef Yoshihiro Murata, from the famed Kikunoi restaurant in Kyoto, was excellent…

Starter…

Soba…

Fillet steak in Economy Class…something rarely encountered these days.

A superb main course. So good, in fact, that there is a separate SQTalk thread just for the steak...

Japanese green tea, served together with the meal (Coffee & tea only available later)…

Ice cream cone for dessert…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Krisworld IFE…

This looked to be the familiar Krisworld IFE, with a very wide range of movie, TV and music options…

An excellent selection of movies this month...

But something was missing…the radio channels were gone!

On the main menu, between "Music" and "Games" there used to be a "Radio" option, which had different music channels. That option is no longer there.

Instead of radio channels, with fixed playlists, you only had on-demand CD selections, as well as “podcasts”…

To me, this was quite a big change to Krisworld, as I have always enjoyed the radio music channels they had.
                Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

One of the movies this month was Hitman: Agent 47. This is a mindless action flick, nothing more, and I enjoyed watching it. It had one unique feature: It was filmed partly in Singapore.

Some familiar locales from the movie….

As well as some CGI…

Always nice to see Singapore featured in a Hollywood movie…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Cabin ambience in the front Y cabin…

…and the rear Y cabin, done in a warm beige/brown colour scheme…

The first half of the flight was flown in daylight…we were treated to a beautiful sunset …

…before approaching KIX in the evening…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

As it was dark when we landed, I did not manage to see a lot of the airport, or the man-made island, as we landed…any aerial views of KIX would have to wait until our departure in 11 days time…

Manually guided to our parking bay by paddle-waving ground staff..

Arrival formalities, immigration and baggage claim were quick.

No pictures of KIX to speak of on our inbound flight as it was night time. I was slightly disappointed that day at not seeing much of the airport as we landed that evening. But we saw much more of KIX at the end of our trip, on our daytime departure back to Singapore.

More pictures of KIX at the end of the TR, but here is a preview of KIX during the day, an amazing airport that fully lives up to it’s billing as one of the great civil engineering achievements of our time.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

We took an express train from KIX into the city…this was very convenient…

The express train gets you from KIX to Namba Station in Osaka in less than an hour, a quick and very cost effective way to get into town.

Comment

For our first two nights, Mrs yflyer chose a hotel very close to Namba Station, Hotel Ichiei.

This hotel was just 5 minutes walk from Namba Station in Central Osaka, close to Dotonburi.

The hotel has both Western and Japanese style rooms.

We booked a Japanese style room, and were handed a laminated sheet of instructions as we checked in, and politely briefed on common practices in a Japanese style room, for example, no footwear in the room, how the beds were rolled up during the day, and prepared at night, and advised not to roll luggage over the delicate tatami flooring.

The room itself was a very refreshing change from regular Western style hotel rooms:

Beautifully laid out, comfortable tatami floors, and inviting looking futon mattresses on the floor…

Elaborately decorated ceiling…

HD flatscreen TV, with mainly Japanese language programmes…

Traditional tea pot and tea cups…

Separate seating area by the window…

Mini-fridge and hot water dispenser…

Well-equipped bathroom…

…with Toto Washlet…

Comment

This was the hotel room during the day, with the beds folded up. Very elegant…

Namba Station by day, with the Swissotel close by in the background.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

The next morning, we headed to Dotonburi, a ten minute walk away.

Dotonburi is a lively dining, shopping and entertainment district, parallel to the Dotonburi canal. With a profusion of colorful signs and storefronts (And neon lighting at night), many shops have taken to putting up animated models of their product (Including gigantic animatronic snow crabs…an Osaka speciality) on their signboards to stand out from the crowd.

That said, signboard aside, the delicious aroma of snow crab being slowly barbequed along the street was probably doing its part to entice diners…

The weather was very pleasant through most of our trip, cool and sunny, with only one day of rain and cloud, this made strolling along the canal and along the streets and sights of Osaka very comfortable.

One Dotonburi landmark is the Glico Pocky “Running Man” signboard, which was installed in 1935 and has been there in various iterations since then.

This is something of an attraction in Dotonburi, with many Japanese and foreign tourists taking their photo in front of this landmark, with most assuming the position…

And running perpendicular to Dotonburi were the awesome covered shopping streets of Shinsaibashi…

This was a lively and bustling shopping street which spanned hundred of meters, across multiple city blocks, lined with all manner of shops selling everything from clothes, cosmetics, and household items, not to mention Pachinko and Hello Kitty, and the occasional restaurant or snack outlet. Shinsaibashi was busy on regular days, and absolutely packed solid on weekends and peak periods.

A visitor could spend days just strolling up and down this shopping street. A great concept, if one that is probably difficult to replicate in Singapore or other countries, as I think the success of this concept does depend on several Japanese characteristics, such as the narrow streets, the discipline of pedestrians navigating the walkway, and the courtesy and patience of cars at the block intersections where the shopping street cuts across the many regular roads in the city’s grid.

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X