No announcement yet.

SQ - Potential 787-10 Launch Customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day, the airline needs to make money. YCL paxs' comfort is not important.

Comment

From what i hear, the reason why so many people in the region choose to travel SQ over all the other competitors are the service and the comfort levels. Service i'm 100% confident that is a key factor. Comfort levels i'm not too sure. What could happen if SQ goes 3-3-3 on its 787s is that people start to realise (likely it will be because of the seating squeeze) that the SQ experience isn't quite the same, and they start deciding the price difference between SQ and the other carriers isn't quite worth it. This is of course assuming SQ prices remain the same. So the end result would be low, low load factors.

I'm no expert and i can't say for sure what will happen. What seems safer (to me) is to stick with 2-4-2, because the 787-10 can already carry more passengers than the A333 even in 2-4-2 and even with that config the plane is still more cost-efficient than an A333. SQ gains an increase in seat space, leading potentially to higher revenues from more seats potentially being sold, adding to the amount it saves on fuel costs due to the plane's higher efficiency. Both these are more possible because the customer experience remains completely unchanged.

Feel free to disagree, this is just my 2 cents' worth. What SQ will really do, we can only wait til May 2018.

Comment

Agreed with you guys. If I were SQ I'd rather have a full 2-4-2 plane over a semi full 3-3-3 plane. Well let's hope SQ sees it that way too.

Comment

I can see SQ going 3-3-3. I don't think the Y market (outside of those in the know) is at all sensitive to seating layouts. Most wouldn't have a clue before boarding.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
            I can see SQ going 3-3-3. I don't think the Y market (outside of those in the know) is at all sensitive to seating layouts. Most wouldn't have a clue before boarding.
            If they go 3-3-3, I wonder how they will differentiate themselves from Scoot's 787's.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              If they go 3-3-3, I wonder how they will differentiate themselves from Scoot's 787's.
              Nicer boarding pass!

Kidding aside: Lounge access for *G or higher, better food/drinks/service, better protection for irrops, better reliability on schedule/on-time performance

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Simple. Scoot doesn't even come close. Just IFE alone is good enough to differentiate.

More like how will they differentiate themselves from EY / QR / QF / TG.

Comment

1st 787-10 rolls out

Photos from A-Net site
                  Last edited by 9V-JKL; 18 February 2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Looks gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing this magnificent aircraft in SQ livery. Pundits claim that the operating dynamics of the B787-10 has no match in its class. Could this be one major factor that won the deal for Boeing for SQ? Emirates are reportly researching on this and the A350 and their consideration is the MTOW at high dessert climate. Would be interesting to see if they will place an order for these Mid Range birds now that they are also under yield & overcapacity pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                      Looks gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing this magnificent aircraft in SQ livery. Pundits claim that the operating dynamics of the B787-10 has no match in its class. Could this be one major factor that won the deal for Boeing for SQ? Emirates are reportly researching on this and the A350 and their consideration is the MTOW at high dessert climate. Would be interesting to see if they will place an order for these Mid Range birds now that they are also under yield & overcapacity pressure.
                      Wow, did EK's decision to buy over 90 A380s have some negative consequences, like um, if we fly one to Panama it will have a lot of empty seats?

But in all seriousness regarding SQ, their A350 order was pretty massive, so I think now it's time that they want to give Boeing some attention. If you look at SQ's fleet history, they have always had a mix of Airbus and Boeing, which is a strategic standpoint to keep the world's two major plane builders competing for their business.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        But in all seriousness regarding SQ, their A350 order was pretty massive, so I think now it's time that they want to give Boeing some attention. If you look at SQ's fleet history, they have always had a mix of Airbus and Boeing, which is a strategic standpoint to keep the world's two major plane builders competing for their business.
                        I think it's always been very strategic of SQ to placate both airframers and avoid tipping towards one over the other. When SQ first ordered 30 Boeing 787-10 aircraft, it also increased its Airbus A350 order book by 30 and both orders were announced in the same press release.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                          I think it's always been very strategic of SQ to placate both airframers and avoid tipping towards one over the other. When SQ first ordered 30 Boeing 787-10 aircraft, it also increased its Airbus A350 order book by 30 and both orders were announced in the same press release.
                          Very true. I am glad that they did eventually order the 777X though, and hope that in the future it actually becomes the backbone of the airline's long haul flights - instead of the A359.

Comment

I do not believe SQ buy planes just to create a balance between 2 manufacturers. SQ or any airline for that matter will buy planes that best fits their requirements.

SQ bought the 787-10 for short & mid-haul flights because it is the best plane at the moment for that mission profile. Its better than the A359 for those missions.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              I do not believe SQ buy planes just to create a balance between 2 manufacturers. SQ or any airline for that matter will buy planes that best fits their requirements.

SQ bought the 787-10 for short & mid-haul flights because it is the best plane at the moment for that mission profile. Its better than the A359 for those missions.
                              Not all aircraft orders are for planes that best fit airlines' requirements. There are politics involved in some deals, there's the 'prestige factor' etc. I do not doubt that SQ buys the aircraft that best suits their requirements, so I guess it's been a happy coincidence that the best aircraft for the various route profiles have allowed SQ to have a fleet and order book that isn't heavily tilted to either manufacturer. The greater SIA group helps too. For example, Silkair will completely abandon Airbus soon, but overall the group still operates various Airbus fleet types.

Comment

Not to forget that SQ 'dumped', first, MD (MD-11s didn't even make it to SQ before order was cancelled), then Airbus (A340-300s were traded in for Boeings), before finally settling for a huge fleet of 777s. For a few short years I believe the only Airbus they had were the 4 A345s! It was quite annoying that every flight I took was, oh, surprise, a 772.

It's quite clear that their priority is still to purchase the best aircraft that meets their needs, whether Airbus or Boeing...

Comment

Working...
                                X