This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longstanding Aussie customers will recall:

The A340-300 was replaced by the 777-200ER, which was replaced by the A330-300. And now on secondary routes (e.g. BNE) the A330-300 seems to be being replaced by the old 777-200ERs but refurbed. Says something about the 777 airframe.

Meanwhile, CX is well into the process of replacing all A330-300s with A350-900s on their Australian sectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      Yes some of the 773s got the hand me down hard-shells but I think the 772s got the new long-haul Y seats. (no longer 'new' since A350 has introduced yet another Y seat...)
      From your photo, I think the Y seats are the same deal as the 773s- they are ex-77W seats recovered in the new fabric. I did at first wonder if they were all new, but the IFE controller is the key. The new 77W seats have a touchscreen controller whereas your photo shows the 2006 controller. The other telling sign is that the audio jacks are not on the seat back - or somebody correct me if the 77WN seat has the audio jack under the screen or on the armrest?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        From your photo, I think the Y seats are the same deal as the 773s- they are ex-77W seats recovered in the new fabric. I did at first wonder if they were all new, but the IFE controller is the key. The new 77W seats have a touchscreen controller whereas your photo shows the 2006 controller. The other telling sign is that the audio jacks are not on the seat back - or somebody correct me if the 77WN seat has the audio jack under the screen or on the armrest?
        Apologies SQ228, my post was referring to Cathay Pacific's fleet of 772/773, not SQ's. There is no doubt that 9V-SVB has been refurbished with the 2006 seats and IFE but with 2013 seat covers and carpets.

Audio jack of the 2013 Y seats are on the seat back too but even then there are differences between the 77WN/Rs and A350.

77W:

A350:

Let's play spot the difference!!

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
          Apologies SQ228, my post was referring to Cathay Pacific's fleet of 772/773, not SQ's. There is no doubt that 9V-SVB has been refurbished with the 2006 seats and IFE but with 2013 seat covers and carpets.

Audio jack of the 2013 Y seats are on the seat back too but even then there are differences between the 77WN/Rs and A350.

77W:

A350:

Let's play spot the difference!!
          Hmm interesting, I have not traveled on A359 but did travel on the 777WR. My observation was that it was not comfortable for me especially during meal time with my knees coming up to the tray (I am tall 6'2). With the ports band on the side in A359 this problem may have been solved

Comment

• Originally posted by Concorde View Post
            Longstanding Aussie customers will recall:

The A340-300 was replaced by the 777-200ER, which was replaced by the A330-300. And now on secondary routes (e.g. BNE) the A330-300 seems to be being replaced by the old 777-200ERs but refurbed. Says something about the 777 airframe.

Meanwhile, CX is well into the process of replacing all A330-300s with A350-900s on their Australian sectors.
            To be fair CX will only reach that goal by 2019 https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...-a350s-by-2019

So by then SQ would also have their regional a350 in inventory and I'm pretty sure AU would be a recipient of these new Aircrafts. I think BNE getting the 200ERs were more for the lie flats in J purpose as this was a big gripe

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
              It sure would be pretty awesome!
              How exciting. I find myself to be booked on 9V-SVF in 2 weeks' time.

Actually would be nice to have a blast from the past! Last I flew a Spacebed was in 2011. Should I write a TR....?

Comment

Hi pokfur and welcome to the forum!

I don't think I've ever seen a better first post than this! Really excellent work and something the whole forum will find valuable.

I was wondering why SVB was out of service for such a long time and now you've answered the question with really good news as someone who is frequently flying on this type of plane.

I'm also really stunned that they would refurnish their oldest plane. My guess was that they would have begun with the newer ones in the series, e.g. SVL-N and worked out over time how many they needed to keep. Clearly SQ sees these planes as sufficiently fuel efficient to keep them in the skies for quite a few more years. Basically, as long as I get a good seat and IFE (2006 passes that test) then I'm not concerned if I'm on a 20yo SQ plane.

For people's reference, here is a seat in Y on the exact same plane that I had to sit in for almost 8 hours:

That's quite an upgrade that's just occurred because sitting on that old thing was like sitting on a park bench!
                The yellow stain on the seat is really unsettling! Should write in a complain to SQ.
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                  The yellow stain on the seat is really unsettling! Should write in a complain to SQ.
                  You should know to whom I complained...

Comment

You should know to whom I complained...
                    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• 9V-SVC has been resting for 4 days already. Hopefully a sign of another SV getting refitted!

Also while waiting for takeoff this morning, I saw 9V-SRL on her takeoff roll to BKK, complete with peeling paint on her tail, and mismatched engine cowling colors.

Poor girl really needs to be retired or spruced up, but seems unlikely.

Comment

• SWD just did airtest as 8877.

Comment

• Then the next thing to do will be to monitor the flights it takes for the next coupla weeks. SQ326/325, 328/327, 8/7, 12/11, 306/305 will be the main flight pairs to take note of. They almost always get 77WRs, especially the US flights (8/7, 12/11).

Of course, if any SQTalker actually flies on the bird that'd be best. I'd also be interested to see whether the seats (specifically the config of the Y seatbacks) and IFE software installed are the same as the latest A350 ones (as SQ228 detailed in another thread about 3D Maps) or whether its the slightly older, more buggy system.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                            Of course, if any SQTalker actually flies on the bird that'd be best. I'd also be interested to see whether the seats (specifically the config of the Y seatbacks) and IFE software installed are the same as the latest A350 ones (as SQ228 detailed in another thread about 3D Maps) or whether its the slightly older, more buggy system.
                            I don't see why it wouldn't be updated. Contrary to the ramblings of a previous self-appointed expert, who seemed to believe it took a week to install 3D maps, it would just be a software upgrade. Most likely a technician carries onboard a laptop, plugs it into the server, transfers files and then tests. It's likely they wait until the plane has some kind of scheduled maintenance to do it as you wouldn't want to delay a flight because a file is taking too long to load. I'd imagine there's a comprehensive software maintenance agreement in place but it probably precludes providing service during a plane's layover on a Saturday night.

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't be updated. Contrary to the ramblings of a previous self-appointed expert, who seemed to believe it took a week to install 3D maps, it would just be a software upgrade. Most likely a technician carries onboard a laptop, plugs it into the server, transfers files and then tests. It's likely they wait until the plane has some kind of scheduled maintenance to do it as you wouldn't want to delay a flight because a file is taking too long to load. I'd imagine there's a comprehensive software maintenance agreement in place but it probably precludes providing service during a plane's layover on a Saturday night.
                              Yeah true. 1 week to install 3D Maps would be insane unless an entire hardware overhaul for the IFE was needed. I'm also thinking about the Y seatbacks (you pointed out the differences between the 2 planes). Given that the A350 seat is actually slightly slimmer and also the seats have different kinds of armrests, i'm supposing that the seatback arrangement/design of the ports and table will be the same as the other 77WN/WRs.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                                Yeah true. 1 week to install 3D Maps would be insane unless an entire hardware overhaul for the IFE was needed. I'm also thinking about the Y seatbacks (you pointed out the differences between the 2 planes). Given that the A350 seat is actually slightly slimmer and also the seats have different kinds of armrests, i'm supposing that the seatback arrangement/design of the ports and table will be the same as the other 77WN/WRs.
                                Most likely as I expect they would have ordered them all at the same time, having already tested the product sufficiently on the 77WN.

Comment

Working...
                                X