SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alian View Post
    Haha ... Good one. Maybe SIA should return to giving their planes name like in the past. The 772s will be called the golden girls

If I'm not wrong the 772s were given the name Jubilee well I guess it is Golden Jubilee now
    My prediction (I do not know for sure) is that the 772s are possibly getting better treatment of the 2006 77W old cabin for Y. After all, since they seem to plan to refit more 77W, I am sure they won't even let the seats go to waste.

Side note: 9V-SYG is flying to DXB. After DXB's launch of PEY, they never had a sub to a old 773 for ages (Probably one case of a 772, otherwise it's a mix of all 77W (2006 77W, 77WN, or 77WR).

Also, 9V-SWW has been out since Monday (9/5), and even then it is not flying, my assumption is since peak season is over, they are doing a 2-week maps upgrade as well as maintenance (2D to 3D maps). If that be the case (Which most likely would be), then we'd have 2 more frames left (9V-SWY, 9V-SNA). Guess by December, I'll be on a 77WN and have a better likelihood of 3D maps, even likely on a SN* bird (SNA since that is only a 77WN in the SN* series).

Comment

• I wonder with the number of A333 leaving what will happen to the 772's mostly on regional routes like MAA, AMD, CCU, etc....Will those go back to 772/773 or even 77W for the routes that support F?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        I wonder with the number of A333 leaving what will happen to the 772's mostly on regional routes like MAA, AMD, CCU, etc....Will those go back to 772/773 or even 77W for the routes that support F?
        Yes, it's likely to see 772s appear on a few more A330 routes while they wait for more A359s and the regional variant in particular. I'd expect routes like SGN, BKK, PER, HKG, DEL that already use a mix of planes to perhaps be first in line to lose A330s. Some routes haven't seen anything but A330s for many years and I guess you could expect it to remain that way as a default. Routes that would lend themselves to a better J product may see the 772ERs replace the A330s, to the detriment of Y passengers.

Comment

• From ninervictor:

Singapore Airlines' first B777-200ER, 9V-SVA, will be returning home from Alice Springs this afternoon on callsign SIA8877. Current estimated arrival into Singapore is 17.55 this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            From ninervictor:

Singapore Airlines' first B777-200ER, 9V-SVA, will be returning home from Alice Springs this afternoon on callsign SIA8877. Current estimated arrival into Singapore is 17.55 this evening.
            It isn't the first 772, I thought the first had left the fleet?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              It isn't the first 772, I thought the first had left the fleet?
              Well the 1st SV-series.
              It's being brought back from the desert for sale/re-entry to service/....

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                Well the 1st SV-series.
                It's being brought back from the desert for sale/re-entry to service/....
                I know it's due to lease contract expiries but it's hard to accept giving away 330's with a good regional product while keeping much older, non-refitted products flying. Flew SRJ last week and it is just falling apart, not to mention the totally outdated product itself.

Comment

• I find it hard to believe that it would be re-entering service. It hasn't seen service since it came back from Royal Brunei. They've just taken delivery of a whole swag of A350s with more due in the next couple of months and the number of departing A330s doesn't compare, so I think they have enough old 772s sitting about being used less than they could be.

That said, if it did re-enter service as a purple SpaceBed companion to SVF, it will steal SVB's crown as "oldest in fleet".

The earliest of the SQ-series were much older- a good two years or more older than the start of the SV-series IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    I find it hard to believe that it would be re-entering service. It hasn't seen service since it came back from Royal Brunei. They've just taken delivery of a whole swag of A350s with more due in the next couple of months and the number of departing A330s doesn't compare, so I think they have enough old 772s sitting about being used less than they could be.
                    I agree it seems unlikely SQ would bring an old spacebed bird back into service given the A350s coming online and the spare 777-300ERs available (they have swapped so many to A350s now).

It looks like SVA was stored on 12 Dec 15 which indicates it was only ever stored for 1 year. Maybe it is going to be parted out / sold / leased? While I think this is most likely, some other possible scenarios I can think of -

1) NokScoot are going to take 2 of the 777-200s next year (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...on-growth-plan) so maybe SVA is filling in for one of the aircraft moving on? Having 2 spacebed 777s has to be easier for planning than just the one.

2) SQ has been expanding recently in some creative ways (such as the planned JKT - SYD flight that got delayed). Maybe the old 777-300ER Biz seats will find their way into SVA so that other options can be pursued.

3) It is way too early to be probable but another option might be for Vistara so that it go International.

4) Given the problems with NokScoot operating to Japan and South Korea with the 'red flag', maybe Scoot will start operating a few 777s again based in Bangkok that would operate the routes instead? Normally would be costly but given NokScoot have crew and pilots and operate the same aircraft, maybe they can come up with an effective arrangement.

Ah well enough theorizing from me!

Comment

• Not many noticed but SVD has also been returned from storage and arrived on 04 November.

I wonder what plans they have for these two then...

Comment

• I personally think SQ is not reviving both for SQ service, or NokScoot for that matter as the latter is trying to stabilise their business and Thai government does not allow airlines in Thailand to induct older plane.

My best bet is they are going to some second or third their airlines or some Russian charter airlines. Few have gone to Russia.

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                          I personally think SQ is not reviving both for SQ service, or NokScoot for that matter as the latter is trying to stabilise their business and Thai government does not allow airlines in Thailand to induct older plane.

My best bet is they are going to some second or third their airlines or some Russian charter airlines. Few have gone to Russia.
                          Unfortunately Transaero is no longer in existence, because I think SQ had hopes of selling even more of their old planes to them.

I can't see any form of refurbishment happening as they are just using all these old 772s as a fill-in before more of the A350s arrive and so they don't get caught short if an A330 ends its lease combined with a production delay. If they do end up doing some patching up inside any of the 772s, I would be expecting it to happen with the slightly younger ones, e.g. SVM, SVN. They've already got a decent J product installed and just need new IFE and Y-seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            Unfortunately Transaero is no longer in existence, because I think SQ had hopes of selling even more of their old planes to them.

I can't see any form of refurbishment happening as they are just using all these old 772s as a fill-in before more of the A350s arrive and so they don't get caught short if an A330 ends its lease combined with a production delay. If they do end up doing some patching up inside any of the 772s, I would be expecting it to happen with the slightly younger ones, e.g. SVM, SVN. They've already got a decent J product installed and just need new IFE and Y-seats.
                            Not sure how critical is SQ capacity management is but didn't SQ took delivery of two A359 last week? (9V-SMG and 9V-SMH) Is SQ short of aircraft now or they have some extra aircraft for breather?

On side note, Rossiya took up most of ex-Transaero jet originally from SQ. Maybe they can take up more. VIM-avia added few ex-SQ 777 recently.

Comment

• 9V-SVA (which came back from storage) is currently on the way to ASP on SQ8877, probably for storage again.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
                                9V-SVA (which came back from storage) is currently on the way to ASP on SQ8877, probably for storage again.
                                Wasn't that where it was before? The market for old 777s must be pretty dire.

SVD is also listed as stored on planespotters. SVK & SVO are both sitting at VCV at the respective ex-lessors' expense. Only SVH seems to have a home with VIM Airlines, a Russian airline which has 3 ex-SQ 777s (SRD, SRK & SVH) and seems to be expecting a fourth (SRB), but the notation is unclear.

Comment

Working...
                                X