Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Program to get Oneworld Elite Status

So I have a series of flights coming up;

PER-SYD-NRT-LAX-NRT-SYD-PER-MEL-BNE-TSV-BNE-PER (All booked in the 'N' fare bucket) on AA and QF and travelling in Y class.

Which Oneworld program should I join so that I can get elite status the easiest, especially travelling in Y class?

Thanks.

Originally posted by SQ225 View Post
    So I have a series of flights coming up;

PER-SYD-NRT-LAX-NRT-SYD-PER-MEL-BNE-TSV-BNE-PER (All booked in the 'N' fare bucket) on AA and QF and travelling in Y class.

Which Oneworld program should I join so that I can get elite status the easiest, especially travelling in Y class?

Thanks.
    I think AA would be the easiest with gold/plat challenge.

Comment

I've asked several people about this too.

Since I'm a Y traveller 99.999% of the time, AA works best. But it would also mean I need to fly a lot to achieve any status with AA.

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
        I think AA would be the easiest with gold/plat challenge.
        Not really, not in N class and with QF significantly present in the mix. IIRC, for the challenges, EQPs on AA-coded flights are the ones that count.

SQ225, OW is not that friendly towards discount-Y travellers. AA is the most hospitable, but you would get zero miles on CX flights below H class. Other partners have discount factors agains the cheapest fares.

Also note that OW elite privileges start to be meaningful (IMO) at Sapphire, to which your flights won't put you very close.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

I have applied for the double EQM promotion, so i'm not too sure if that will get me to AA gold before my next batch of QF flights, but thanks for all your input. I guess I'll try my best to stick with Star Alliance next time.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Not really, not in N class and with QF significantly present in the mix. IIRC, for the challenges, EQPs on AA-coded flights are the ones that count.
            N class on AA earns .5 EQP and I'm pretty sure NRT-LAX-NRT would earn more than 5,000 EQP.

Comment

It really does depend. In theory the AAdvantage challenge is a no brainer but in this instance, bear in mind that all your QF segments earn no miles on AAdvantage as they're booked in N.

I agree with jjpb3. It is much harder to achieve OW status with discount economy fares. Generally, AAdvantage is good if you have a considerable number of segments operated and marketed by AA so that you can achieve status through the Gold (OW Ruby) and Platinum (OW Sapphire) challenge. And even then for someone who's based in Australia, you need to be at least Platinum to have a use for AA status - lounge access and the 100% award mileage bonus on QF flights were the main thing for me; the priority check in you get as Gold doesn't make much of a difference on domestic flights as you can eliminate the need to queue through the SSCI and OLCI facilities. I suppose the 500 min miles guarantee can be handy for short flights, but I don't think you have those out of PER unless you make frequent visits to mining towns? Other benefits like upgrades are only good on AA metal.

For this itinerary, if you really do want some form of OW status, do the following:
              - Sign up for the AAdvantage Gold challenge, you then have 90 days to earn 5000 EQPs to achieve Gold status
              - Credit AA segments to AAdvantage - this should get you AA Gold through the challenge (NRT-LAX-NRT x 0.5 = 5451 EQPs)
              - Credit QF segments to QFF - so you get *something* for the QF segments

Now you have to be very careful that the correct FF number is entered for each segment as reversing incorrectly credited miles is a PITA process.

Alternatively if you credit everything towards QFF you will gain 265 SCs and will need another 85 SCs for QF Silver (OW Ruby).
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 November 2009, 10:17 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
                N class on AA earns .5 EQP and I'm pretty sure NRT-LAX-NRT would earn more than 5,000 EQP.
                Thanks, I stand corrected on that count. (Should've checked the mileages more carefully.)

I'm still not sure what the value of AA Ruby on QF (my guess as to the airline OP would use most) would be, especially if future flights are in discount Y. Priority checkin, I guess?
                Last edited by jjpb3; 21 November 2009, 06:37 PM.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                X