SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Other Airlines > Other Airlines

Old 11th June 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
vincent0720
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: Krisflyer Elite Silver
Default How is MH? Close to SQ?

That's my question. MH is the cheapest in Taiwan for TPE-LAX route. But I've never flied with MH. Would like to ask everyone's opinion. Is it like SQ?

Thanks!
vincent0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
singaporu_kooku
SQTalk PPS Club

I'm not sure with F or C, but it seems that many are raving about their service.

In Y, however, I have tried to avoid them whenever I can. The staff morale has been low, even the cabin attendants are often not as 5 stars they claimed to be. Food has been deteriorating in quality and quantity. A month ago, a friend took MEL-KUL flight and he said no amenity kits given. Price wise, however, can be very competitive, depending on the season and routes. It seems that they are more obsessed about competing against Air Asia, than the full service airlines.
singaporu_kooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
jhm
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
A month ago, a friend took MEL-KUL flight and he said no amenity kits given.
That's hardly a criticism of MH given that SQ (for example) don't give you a kit either.

I flew MH Y too long ago to remember so can't comment on that; but my handful of MH C flights last year were really excellent - fabulous lounges at KUL, food which is more Asian and warm service.
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Kyo
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP3

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, KF*S, MPC Green, SPG Plat, Ex-BA*G, Ex-HH*D, IC RA, Ex-BD55

MH is actually pretty darned decent, I'd say.

Have tried them out quite a few times in Y and F, both as recently as last year.

Posting MH miles to Velocity however... is a nightmare.
Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
singaporu_kooku
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
That's hardly a criticism of MH given that SQ (for example) don't give you a kit either.
SQ does give kit for Y. It's definitely nothing to rave about. But at least they try to make the Y more comfortable. Btw, my comment was for Y class. I have no experience with them in C. Another thing I don't like about them is their mileage. For SQ, you either get it or you don't. For MH, they have these tiered mileage earning scheme. I think, it's like 0%, 30%, 50%, 70%, and 100%. You really need to go for the most expensive ones to get 100%.

Sorry to be a little bias, but my experience with them in the recent years have not been really good. On a recent 8 hours flight between MEL-KUL-MEL, for example, only twice that they bother to patrol with drinks on the cabin. The rest of the time, they just disappeared. They only cleaned the toilet once. When passengers pressed the call button, it took 5-10 minutes just to be attended and they were not serving any passengers at the time, it was rather empty flight.

To be honest, I used to think they are decent, somewhat close if not in the same league as SQ. But, these days, I think they are very lost. Not quite SQ, but not quite AK. One of the TR in airliners.net (comparing MH and PR): http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/149032/
singaporu_kooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
SQflyergirl
SQTalk Founder

Programs: Kali inilah!

I fly them every other week - they're pretty good. I like 'em lots. Not quite SQ standards, but good enough for me
SQflyergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
SQJunkie
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQflyergirl View Post
Not quite SQ standards, but good enough for me
Methinks they like you lots SQFG.

My brother just flew Y, KUL-SYD.
Said it was awful.
Cabin crew were rude and unhelpful when he asked for assistance: overweight pax in the next seat kept spilling over.
He will not fly MH again.
(Sidenote: I was scheduled on MH this week, but have decided to stick to good ol' SQ, and forfeit my paid for discounted fare.)
Old 11th June 2009, 08:47 PM   #8
SQflyergirl
SQTalk Founder

Programs: Kali inilah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQJunkie View Post
Methinks they like you lots SQFG.
Oh i wouldn't say that. I've just got low expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQJunkie View Post
(Sidenote: I was scheduled on MH this week, but have decided to stick to good ol' SQ, and forfeit my paid for discounted fare.)
Now that's dedication
SQflyergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Quote:
I fly them every other week - they're pretty good. I like 'em lots. Not quite SQ standards, but good enough for me
I totally agree.

As someone who flies with both airlines frequently, I would say that MH are very close to SQ in terms of on board service. In fact, there is only SQ I would rate higher than MH for on board service, with OZ giving them a run for their money.
Old 11th June 2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Kyo

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, KF*S, MPC Green, SPG Plat, Ex-BA*G, Ex-HH*D, IC RA, Ex-BD55

No way, and I'll bet the HUGE one agrees with me - NH service... now that's awesomeness!!! (with three exclamation marks!!!)

Different league altogether!
Old 11th June 2009, 10:25 PM   #11
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
No way, and I'll bet the HUGE one agrees with me - NH service... now that's awesomeness!!! (with three exclamation marks!!!)

Different league altogether!
Sorry, but an airline that will not give me a pre take-off drink (and ex-JFK, that meant over an hour after boarding before we got one...) cannot be considered up there with the best.

I am not surprised HUGE AL likes them though, he spends all week flying domestically in the US.
Old 11th June 2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Kyo

I would forego every single pre-takeoff drink and have NH J service after take-off than use that as the defining criteria to rate MH over NH.

SQ... well, debatable. It would depend on availability of champagne service or not.

As for the HUGE comment - I see you're adding more salt into the wound, there! LOL...
Old 11th June 2009, 10:41 PM   #13
jhm
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

I assume you mean alcoholic drinks. I seem to remember reading on TOF that Japaese airlines are prohibited by the Japanese authorities from serving pre-takeoff drinks apparently due to safety reasons.
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
I assume you mean alcoholic drinks. I seem to remember reading on TOF that Japaese airlines are prohibited by the Japanese authorities from serving pre-takeoff drinks apparently due to safety reasons.
They are banned by their authorites for sure, how that comes under 'safety' I'll never know.

Besides, I'm not interested in excuses (I spend half my life hearing them and making my own..), I just know I didn't get a drink for almost an hour and a half after boarding on JFK-NRT. No good for the 'best' I'm afraid...
Old 11th June 2009, 11:22 PM   #15
SQJunkie
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Now that's dedication
I guess it must be !
And... I did some sums ..... I'd come out ahead with future travel plans taken into consideration.