No announcement yet.

My end of year almost-RTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the Tube to LHR for the first time. Beats the HEX as I don't have to change trains or drag my suitcase up and down various flights of stairs. LH departs from T2 which felt positively claustrophobic due to the low ceilings.

Pics of the SEN lounge here.

And yet another LH continental flight...

LH4733 LHR-FRA seat 1A
    a/c - A320-200 (i think...)
    ETD - 1710

Unlike the TG agent in MEL, the LH agent in LHR was able to check me all the way through to my final destination. API was playing up for a bit but eventually it went through and out popped my TG BP printed on LH stock (seq 001 - woot! Ah little joys...).

Once again I apologised for the quality - el cheapo cam for GBP29 (lost the battery of my own cam and the only electronics store in LHR T2 didn't sell the type I needed).
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 January 2007, 09:03 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

FCT FCT FCT!!!

I was advised by Raffles from BA TOF to navigate my way internally to A before heading out into the cold to look for the FCT. Been also told that a buggy can be arranged at the LH F check in counter but that would apparently be slower than walking, and I didn't want to waste precious drinking time.

I arrived into A which was a pleasant surprise as it negates the long way over from B. Headed over to passport control. The officer asked what I was doing in Germany, to which I responded that I was actually going to BKK and am just passing through my make my way to the FCT. He stamped my passport without another word, but not before rolling his eyes. I'm sure he's used to nutters like me already. But I'm glad 'normal' people choose to stay with the FCL so they don't make the FCT too crowded, heh.

I then proceeded down the escalator to the arrivals level, walked out the terminal, and turned left to the FCT. It was only a 10 minutes walk. Buzzed the bell to get in and my PA came down to meet me. The PA was shocked that I walked and told me that I could've got the buggy. I shrugged and simply said that walking seemed easier.

The PA then took my travel documents for the requisite formalities. The FCT has its own check in facilities (didn't need it as I already had my onward BP), security (which was very discrete and done in a leisurely way), and duty free shop.The departure screen only showed the flights of pax in the FCT. The other facilities were the same as the FCL in concourse A, but of course the FCT is bigger.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 January 2007, 04:58 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I spent the next 3 hours feasting at the FCT restaurant (food by Do and Co - the same people who do catering for OS I think), getting tanked for the night flight, having a shower, and surfing the internet.

Comment

Soon it was time to leave for my flight. My PA came to collect me and we headed downstairs where my ride to the aircraft had already been organised. Got my passport back from passport control and I was off across the tarmac in a Merc S class. Didn't receive the standard warning against opening doors and windows I always read about. Had a very nice chauffeur who took pics of me and the car and the aircraft. He even carried my stuff all the way up to my seat and introduced me to the purser.

The FCT ROCKS!!! (sorry for that complete understatement...)
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 January 2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Another LH F flight.

29 DEC LH782 FRA-BKK
            A/c - 744
            Seat 84C
            ETD: 2245

The very delicious goose main. The FA was thrilled and complemented me on choosing a 'nice, traditional German dish.'
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 January 2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

See here for pics of the Royal Silk Lounge near concourse E of BKK. And there was another TG lounge around the corner which was as yet unnamed and unfinished:

Instead of a routine departure from concourse E, TG981 was boarding from the C/D gates that day. Knowing that the lounge at concourse E is infinitely better than the one over at concourse D, I stayed at the former as much as possible. A quick visit to the Royal Silk Lounge in D confirmed everything I've heard prior -it was horribly overcrowded and with non-working airconditioning:

Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 January 2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

The finale

31 Dec TG981 BKK-MEL
                    A/c: B777-200ER
                    Seat: 11A
                    ETD: 0015

My journey home with TG was like flying on a totally different carrier to what I experienced on MEL-BKK TG982.

For one, I actually got the B777-200ER, complete with the comfy, new lie flat seats. I was checking a/c type every 2 seconds while in the lounges to prepare for an itinerary change if needed as there was no way I was going to be stuck in those horrible regional seats for a red eye.

The seats were different to the 'old' lie-flat seats TG had on its other a/c, in that they eliminated problems with sliding with better ergonomics. So instead of a completely smooth surface, the seat adapts to the contours of your entire body and 'holds' it like a cocoon. The wooden material on the handrests was a nice touch but not durable as there was already some obvious wear and tear.

There was AVOD with nice-sized PTVs, but the movie/music selection remained rather limited. As I couldn't sleep and had finished my novel, I resorted to watching the IFE to tire myself out. I watched 'Step Up' featuring Channing Tatum, which was surprisingly good.

Load factor was extremely low in C. Not even 15% IIRC. The service was great with rather efficient and friendly FAs, who had much better communication skills than the other set of TG FAs. There was no amenity kit though, due to issues with changing suppliers as I understand. But that was not a problem as I still had my amenity kit from LH F.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 January 2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Dinner on this flight was great (especially the lamb main course; and the cute little Thai desserts), but breakfast was just average.

Comment

I was disappointed with breakfast - it represented the only time I didn't enjoy hot brekkies onboard. The scrambled eggs were overcooked and everything else was soggy and tasteless.

We soon landed in Tullamarine airport ahead of schedule.

It was a very enjoyable flight on TG. They'd do well to maintain some level of consistency.

As the saying goes, 'That's all, folks!' This is the end of my trippie, and I hope you've all enjoyed it.

Comment

Thanks for the report, Keith.
                          Perhaps the summary of what's to do and not to do would be interesting. I mean, would you take TG J again for your long-haul? Is it worth the money? I know your take on LH FCT and FCL...
                          How about *A vs OW?
                          Cheers,
                          CGK

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                            As the saying goes, 'That's all, folks!' This is the end of my trippie, and I hope you've all enjoyed it.
                            Most certainly did! Many thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              Thanks for the report, Keith.
                              Perhaps the summary of what's to do and not to do would be interesting. I mean, would you take TG J again for your long-haul? Is it worth the money? I know your take on LH FCT and FCL...
                              How about *A vs OW?
                              Cheers,
                              CGK
                              - I would fly TG J again if I can find cheap fares. Now they have AUD2700 fares in J to Thailand and South East Asia. But beyond that it's too much of a gamble and I'd rather pay a little bit more for SQ.

- Yes - LH F and the FCT are both great. I love LH F's catering. They just need to update their seats and their F product would be truly outstanding.

- *A vs OW? I do not wish to open that can of worms.
                              But despite my political grievances with QF, they remain on the list of my fave carriers. I remain adamant that they're the best carrier in oneworld. (dodges from flames by Traitor Air lurkers)
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 January 2007, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Keith thanks for the great trip report

Comment

Working...
                                X