No announcement yet.

My end of year almost-RTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened up there shall remain undocumented. Luke - shhh!
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Nice report, Keith! And the easy-to-download thumbnails are appreciated.

Comment

16 DEC US2130 LGA-BOS Economy
        Aircraft: A319
        Seat: 9C

My visit to NYC came to an end all too soon. 1 week wasn't enough!

This was a 'Shuttle' by US Airways flight and so had its dedicated check in counter (which was empty when I got there!) as well as gates. LGA was a lovely airport as I was able to proceed from curb to gate in under 15 minutes. Again, no lounge access for UA*Gs on purely domestic itineraries. Had lunch in the food court instead and finished my copy of Michael Crichton's latest novel while waiting for the flight.

It always pays to check the config of any airline/aircraft before requesting for a specific seat. Never having flown US Airways, I naively asked for an emergency exit row seat thinking I could stretch out for the short flight to BOS (ie mid arvo nap). Once onboard, I realised that the seats with extra space were either those in the bulkhead row, or the window seats (10 A and K) that are directly behind the emex row as there's no window seat on the emex row. The emex row was like any other row...bleh.

Pretty uneventful flight, and I was surprised that there's even a drink and pretzel service on such a short hop (an hour-ish).

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The Sheraton Boston has a full time SPG coordinator who makes sure that all SPG elites are looked after. I was automatically upgraded to a club level room even before arrival - even as a Gold! This is also the first hotel I've stayed at that enforces the priority check in line. This was a great relief as I arrived to find a 9 mile long line at the general check in area.

The hotel has recently been refurbished in a lovely Ralph Lauren theme, which shows in the decor and the furnishing. Service was top notch all the way, with very friendly club lounge attendants. Free internet to be found in the lobby (free printing for the first 5 pages) as well as club lounge. The computer terminals came with huge flat screens!

On the 3rd night of my stay, a Starwood GM reception was held in the club lounge. All club level guests were invited and treated to a magnificent spread that spanned from the ubiquitous "chow-dah", to the traditional rack of lamb, and the exotic Peking duck. Mmmmmm!

Lovely view of Boston from my room.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL
            Ground Zero is a misleading name as it implies that there's nothing there. This is now a construction site for Freedom Tower. Let freedom ring!
            Definition of "Ground Zero": the exact location on the ground where any explosion occurs. The term has often been associated with nuclear explosions, but is also used in relation to earthquake epicenter, epidemics and other disasters to mark the point of the most severe damage or destruction. Damage gradually decreases with distance from this point.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
              Definition of "Ground Zero": the exact location on the ground where any explosion occurs. The term has often been associated with nuclear explosions, but is also used in relation to earthquake epicenter, epidemics and other disasters to mark the point of the most severe damage or destruction. Damage gradually decreases with distance from this point.

There is still an implication that there's a sense of inherent emptiness. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but what I meant was people should move on. In more ways than one. The construction of Freedom Tower is perhaps the best thing that could've happened.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 January 2007, 04:32 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

There is still an implication that there's a sense of inherent emptiness. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but what I meant was people should move on. In more ways than one. The construction of Freedom Tower is perhaps the best thing that could've happened.
                I know what you meant but I doubt that moniker will disappear in our lifetime. I think of it much like "Patient Zero" in the AIDS battle.

Anyways, great pics of New York. I'm headed there fairly soon. Still hoping for some winter magic. I'm not sure why they're up to 18 degrees C right now. I'm gonna head to Dean & Deluca for some great food.

Comment

20th Dec BOS-IAD UA989
                  Aircraft: B737-300
                  Seat: 6D
                  ETD: CANCELLED

The UA terminal at BOS was filled to the brim with confused and dazed passengers. I soon found out that DEN had been hit by a blizzard and all flights to DEN were canned. People had to join a 3 hour queue to rebook their flights or struggle with the UA res hotline at home. Stressed UA agents were running around herding DEN pax out of the check in lines and advising them to either go home or face an interminable wait to rebook. And the earliest these pax could make it to DEN was Christmas day.

And how was I affected by the chaos? The aircraft scheduled to operate as UA989 to IAD was to come in from UA's mini hub at DEN. The easy check in system indicated that I'd been rebooked on a UA flight to IAD some 7 hours later. The elite/F check in agent, brimming with attitude, put me on standby on the next UA flight to IAD and refused to check for availability on US (whose flights to DCA UA codeshares on).

I tried my luck again at the customer service desk once air side. The (comparatively) nicer UA rep managed to rebook me on US2037 bound for DCA which departed around the same time my UA flight had been scheduled to take off for IAD. Great!

Behind me there were tonnes of UA989 pax trying to do the same thing as I did but they were turned away. They were told that US would only give UA a single seat as the plane was full... and they'd have to be on standby anyway should they try to get on to the US flights to DCA.

20th Dec BOS-DCA US2037
                  Aircraft : A319
                  Seat: 4D
                  ETD: 1345

I made it to the US flight just in time after a sprint, which I thought was worthy of an Olympic commendation, across BOS to the US terminal, through check in, TSA and finally the gate. Was down to the wire but I made it.

Contrary to what UA had the pax of UA989 believe, or what US would have UA believe, the plane was by no means even half full!

I was exhausted by my marathon journey to make US2037 that I fell asleep. Was not in a state of mind to take any pictures or even remotely take note of my surrounds - sorry!

Since my suitcase had been checked in with UA, I had to file a delayed baggage report with US. IATA rules dictate that I'd have to file it with US despite UA having my bag all this time - a most illogical and, as I was to learn, frustrating arrangement. My bag was scheduled to arrive at IAD on the same arvo as it'd been checked into the flight I was on standby for. But it's only 24 hours later that UA transferred the bag to US at IAD who then organised for it to be delivered. Throughout this time the US staff at DCA were most helpful and sent numerous msgs to UA at IAD pleading for my bag.

2 delayed baggage situations in 1 trip - man!

Next: Four Points Washington DC Downtown, and DC - Power Capital!
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 January 2007, 04:40 PM.

Comment

The UA terminal at BOS was filled to the brim with confused and dazed passengers. I soon found out that DEN had been hit by a blizzard and all flights to DEN were canned. People had to join a 3 hour queue to rebook their flights or struggle with the UA res hotline at home. Stressed UA agents were running around herding DEN pax out of the check in lines and advising them to either go home or face an interminable wait to rebook. And the earliest these pax could make it to DEN was Christmas day.

And how was I affected by the chaos? The aircraft scheduled to operate as UA989 to IAD was to come in from UA's mini hub at DEN. The easy check in system indicated that I'd been rebooked on a UA flight to IAD some 7 hours later. The elite/F check in agent, brimming with attitude, put me on standby on the next UA flight to IAD and refused to check for availability on US (whose flights to DCA UA codeshares on).

I tried my luck again at the customer service desk once air side. The (comparatively) nicer UA rep managed to rebook me on US2037 bound for DCA which departed around the same time my UA flight had been scheduled to take off for IAD. Great!

Behind me there were tonnes of UA989 pax trying to do the same thing as I did but they were turned away. They were told that US would only give UA a single seat as the plane was full... and they'd have to be on standby anyway should they try to get on to the US flights to DCA.
                    I think this is one of the big perks of being a UA elite member - irregular ops. Instead of heading to the CS desk or anywhere else for that matter, call your elite tier reservations. I've found out that they are more than willing to help you out and reroute you on a different route or different airline altogether. Although I'm not sure if it would have worked out for you since UA Reservations crashed right around the time of the first blizzard (according to TOF).

Maybe CGK, DFP, and some other UA regulars can vouch for this idea too.

Comment

The Four Points by Sheraton Washington DC Downtown is probably one of the better Four Points out there as it's recently renovated. The lobby looked more upscale than other 4P (except Sydney) and was filled with the brand's signature cinnamon apple scent. I was upgraded onto the club level and given a huge corner room (by 4P's standards anyway). Free wifi in room as well as bottled water - as with all North American 4Ps. Caswell Massey bath products! Weird that you'd get more by paying less, minus all the goss of course. The Four Comfort Bed was decent, but I still prefer the beds of the W and the Westin.

The service was patchy. Front desk was pretty friendly but clearly understaffed as often there was only a single person running the show. The concierge was pretty clueless about anything, even when it comes to simple inquiries like restaurant suggestions.

The property's restaurant, Corduroy touts itself as being amongst the top 100 restaurants in the city. I was glad my expectations were met.

The location of this property is not flash. It is in the middle of the business district which can get pretty empty, almost eerie at night and over the weekend. This hotel is perhaps more suitable for people who come to DC strictly for business - especially political lobbyists as the hotel is located on K St and is very near lots of right wing lobby firms.

Other Starwood properties in the vicinity are much better located for leisure travelers - The Westin Embassy Row near the famed Dupont Circle, and the Westin Grand near Georgetown (although the latter is pretty run down by all accounts).

Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 January 2007, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Let's play 'Name the Monuments!'

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Let's play 'Name the Monuments!'
                          Too easy. Give me a real challenge.

Great lighting on the exterior of the Jefferson Memorial.

Comment

Refer to 'The Lounges' section for Admirals Clubs in both DCA and DFW.

AA1199 DCA-DFW 24th Dec
                            Seat 4F
                            Aircraft: S80
                            ETD: can't remember....10AMish...

Horrendous queues at check in and security. Thankfully the F lines were empty. Although there's a fast track queue at security, there's no dedicated section for those using fast track - you'd have to cut the 'regular' queue (and endure glares from those in the 'regular' line).

The catering on AA domestic F was appaling. I did not even dare take a picture for fear of eliciting a surprise chemical reaction from the unidentifiable glob in front of me. Service was ok, and the seats were adequately comfy for such a short flight.

AA70 DFW-FRA 24th Dec
                            Seat 3A
                            Aircraft: 763
                            ETD: 1400-ish

As I did not sleep the previous night, I fell asleep almost immediately after taking my seat. Not as lucky to score the new seats this time. Missed the first meal service but was woken up for breakfast, which was surprisingly rather edible. The crew was a rather pleasant lot.

Comment

See here for pictures of FRA SEN lounge.

Arrived around half past 7 in the morning in a dark and foggy FRA. AA'd already checked my baggage to LHR so there was no need to recheck it. There was a queue at the transfer desk so I decided to get my onward BP on LH in the Senator lounge. Free wifi wasn't working in the lounge unfortunately. While casually glancing up from my book, I saw the golden goose on the tarmac. Missed SQ so much then as it's been ages since I last flew them, great as LH F experience has been.

I checked the screens a few times to ensure that the flight wasn't delayed due to adverse conditions in London. Thankfully it wasn't and soon it was time to trot off to gate B31.

LH4728 FRA-LHR 25 DEC
                              a/c - A320-200
                              Seat 1A
                              ETD - 1235

Eep - bus gate again! But no biggie as I wasn't pressed for time. Like all short haul C service in Europe, the LH C seats are identical to the Y ones, except that the middle seat is blocked and used as a cocktail table. The curtain dividing C from Y only moved back to row 3 today, with a low load of 5 in C. It was a rather pleasant 90 mins flight, with a very nice tray of savoury snacks.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 11 January 2007, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The Hoxton Hotel in London is a newly opened hotel owned by Pret-A-manger. I got my room at a special promo rate of GBP29 (VAT included). The hotel markets itself as a budget but with-frills hotel (bath amenities by 'The White Company', fluffy towels, frette linen, sumptous duck-down duvets, free wifi, wide screen tv). It's very nicely appointed with hip decor. You also get a free Pret-lite brekkies every morning, which consists of a freshly-made yoghurt, OJ and a banana. The hotel has a fantastic location near Hoxton Square in East London with its eclectic array of restaurants (Fifteen by Jamie Oliver is just steps away) and nightlife. Old Street Tube is just a stone's throw away.

Next: LH LHR-FRA, The FCT, LH FRA-BKK
                                Last edited by KeithMEL; 11 January 2007, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X