Default UA, US introduce checked baggage fee

.. in joining AA to raise more revenue amid surging oil costs

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/0...ags/index.html
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 06:04 PM   #2
zxcvbn
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: SQ CX

Sorry, I'm new to the whole 'pay for checked baggage' idea.
From reading the article, the charge only applies for passengers whos ticket is issued after today?

Would someone clarify please? Thank you
Old 13th June 2008, 06:19 PM   #3
StarG
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP24, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P

Sad news. But I guess with the oil price what they are today, they have to start exploring unconventional solutions.
Hope I won't hear the same news coming form CX/SQ.
StarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 07:35 PM   #4
MegatopLover
SQTalk PPS Club

Yes, the fee applies on a going-forward basis only to tickets issued after the new fee was announced. Baggage charges form part of the contract between pax and airline, and the airline cannot unilaterally change the contract. All it can do it set new terms for future contracts.
MegatopLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:57 PM   #5
milehighj
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.

Ok I'm behind the curve here.

So to clarify what's stated in the article, this new model does not involve F & J pax and those with status on the carrier or their alliance?
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 01:46 AM   #6
cawhite
SQTalk Founder

UA checked bag policy for "United EconomyŽ travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada"
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

US checked bag policy
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...epolicies.aspx
cawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 04:24 AM   #7
HUGE AL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarG View Post
Sad news. But I guess with the oil price what they are today, they have to start exploring unconventional solutions.
Agreed. As stated before in the forums, the American carriers did a bunch of surveys and focus groups to determine if the public here liked or disliked being nickeled and dimed. Though I completely disagree, the resounding answer was, "please bilk me throughout the entire process of flying."

They just completed a year long study of whether we will want to be charged for pop (I mean, "soda" [I'm from the Midwest]). I've heard it's not far behind this retarded move.
Old 14th June 2008, 04:53 AM   #8
taipeiflyer
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE AL View Post
Agreed. As stated before in the forums, the American carriers did a bunch of surveys and focus groups to determine if the public here liked or disliked being nickeled and dimed. Though I completely disagree, the resounding answer was, "please bilk me throughout the entire process of flying."

They just completed a year long study of whether we will want to be charged for pop (I mean, "soda" [I'm from the Midwest]). I've heard it's not far behind this retarded move.
you are right HugeAL, us airways just announced they will start charging passengers $2 for a can of soda or juice. just in case they really start getting stingy, make sure to bring your own toilet paper.
taipeiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 05:22 AM   #9
nickbot
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: UA Plat, IC Plat Amb

Quote:
I love your terminology HUGE AL "pop" is what the older generation in the UK use to refer to fizzy drinks, as in "I'd love a tin of pop" (note, I'm not including myself in this broad sweeping generalisation! We've not quite graduated to "soda" yet (thankfully )

...just pulling your leg you understand Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle
nickbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 09:50 AM   #10
SQ LPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbot View Post
Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle
Congratulations!
Your trip will be splendid and swell...
But just make sure that your reservation showing your newly minted RA status!
SQ LPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 02:50 PM   #11
nickbot
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ LPP View Post
Congratulations!
Your trip will be splendid and swell...
But just make sure that your reservation showing your newly minted RA status!
Thanks,...it will indeed be "splendid and swell" hehe Yes, all ICs in the itinerary have been informed that a VIP will be staying
Old 14th June 2008, 06:31 PM   #12
HUGE AL

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbot View Post
I love your terminology HUGE AL "pop" is what the older generation in the UK use to refer to fizzy drinks, as in "I'd love a tin of pop" (note, I'm not including myself in this broad sweeping generalisation! We've not quite graduated to "soda" yet (thankfully )

...just pulling your leg you understand Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle
"Pop" causes many an argument here in the US.

As for your RA status, when are we meeting up and where? Wasn't there a thread on TOF regarding the best minibars?
Old 15th June 2008, 03:02 AM   #13
nickbot
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
"Pop" causes many an argument here in the US.

As for your RA status, when are we meeting up and where? Wasn't there a thread on TOF regarding the best minibars?
Must check that thread out Current itinerary includes HKG, BKK and SIN ICs, but maybe a roll-out to other destinations - will keep you posted!