Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My end of year almost-RTW

Departure at MEL, Air NZ Lounge

Feeling rejuvenated after a 1 night stay at the Westin Melbourne (forgot to take pics, sorry!) I headed to MEL all pumped up for my month long vacation. The air conditioning of Terminal 2 was a great relief from the scorching Melburnian sun. I confused the poor TG check in agent a fair bit as hardly anyone (any sensible person that is) uses TG982 MEL-BKK to go to the USA and she didn't know what the code for Chicago O'Hare (ORD) was. She was mildly freaked out when I recited all the codes and flight numbers she needed to type into her computer to tag my bags and issue my BPs. My bags were tagged to ORD via BKK and FRA. Unfortunately IRT wasn't working too well and I would need to pick up my LH BP at Suvarnabhumi. I headed straight to a relatively quiet passport control and then to the Air New Zealand lounge which is located 2 levels below the departure concourse.

The Air NZ lounge is by far the best lounge in MEL. Stylish and warm decor, and comfy couches. Better variety of food and beverages than the SKL, and surprisingly children-free compared to the QC. Spotters will love this lounge as it is one of the few lounges in MEL with windows looking out to the tarmac. This also means that natural light is plentiful - another reason why this is one of my favourite lounges.

Unfortunately you'd need to be flying either NZ or TG (who signed an agreement with NZ) to gain access, even if you're a *G customer. Or butter up the lounge dragons (well worth a try!). Otherwise you will be sent up the escalator to the SQ lounge. And technically they are well within their rights to do so, due to a Star Alliance 'capacity control' clause for airports where there are more than 1 Star Alliance airline-operated lounges in operation, which they enjoy invoking. And understandably so as the lounge can get pretty busy during peak hour departures for NZ's transtasman flights.

And so it was with much glee that I waltzed into the NZ lounge near Gate 15 without needing to think of an excuse as to why they should let me in instead of exiling me up to the SKL.

You'd need to look at the pics starting with the bottom one. Apologies for the reversed chronological order of the pictures. I have no idea why they got uploaded to photobucket in that order.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Comment

TG982, MEL-BKK, Royal Silk Class
        Aircraft: B777-300
        Seat: 11A
        ETD: 1700

The boarding call was soon made for passengers of TG982 bound for BKK. As I walked out to the gate, I noted that the NZ lounge matrons have timed the boarding call very well as there were no pax left at the gate area and so no queuing was necessary. The plane looked like a 777 variant of some sort so I was still thinking that it must be the new 772ER, as opposed to recent reports that a disgusting old 743 has been appearing in place of the usual 772s.

I almost got a heart attack when I stepped onboard. It was a 773 instead, complete with non-lie flat seats, contrary to TG's big budget advertising campaign in MEL of late! I choked out the obvious ('aircraft swap?!') to a very apologetic flight attendant and she sheepishly nodded in affirmative. My seatmate was flabbergasted and vowed to stick with Qantas or Singapore Airlines from then on.

It's ok, I thought - it's only a day flight and maybe the good TG service would make up for it. Wrong! The first sign of what was to come was when an 'amenity kit' (if I could even call it that, but apparently the real kits weren't available due to problems with stock - at least SQ doesn't pretend that they have real amenity kits in RAFFLES class) and a menu was dumped at my seat by a rather unsmiling FA. Then the same FA, without saying a single word, threw a hot towel at me. If I wasn't fumbling about with the towel trying to cool it down I might have been slightly more agile and threw it into her face, blaming it on my reflex. Pre-take off drinks were then served and I had a glass of champers. Orders for the main course of the first meal were also taken.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 December 2006, 04:43 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

We lifted off on schedule. Some stark reminders of Thai's rather lax attitudes about safety - at no point was a check done to make sure the cabin was prepared for take off (the people in the bulkhead across the aisle still had their bags on the ground against the bulkhead), and a male FA did not have his seatbelt on while on the jump seat.

Soon the a/c levelled off and the crew sprang into action for the first drinks run and first meal service of the flight - one of the rare times we actually saw them. I asked for a glass of the Bourgogne wine that I spotted on the menu. Unfortunately I was cruelly reminded that I was on Thai as the crew member was clueless as to what I was asking for. After several minutes of repeatedly yelling 'No - it's the bourgogne!' (he was going to serve me the Bordeaux as it was the first bottle he saw on the cart), I saw the wine I actually wanted on his cart and pointed towards it.

The meal service then began. I was warned by friends to be careful of what I chose as 2 of the choices were the same as what Economy pax were eating. I thought it would be weird to try to check and the 5 spiced beef looked good (last I had it was on an SQ flight and I remember asking for seconds heh). And indeed it was good and complemented very well by the wine - possibly the only redeeming feature of the entire flight, along with the brie.

The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful. It was literally impossible to get drinks under 10 minutes after pressing the crew call button. The only way I quenched my thirst was to walk up to the galley, only to be met with evil-looking glares. Not good enough, TG!

IFE was pitiful. There was PTV but with a very limited choice. Some movies I hadn't even heard of and the music selection was equally woeful. Needless to say time passed pretty slowly and this was one of the times I wished a flight was ending faster. Soon the second meal service commenced, and with its conclusion - the descent.

Next: Transfer at BKK Suvarnabhumi
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 December 2006, 06:49 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Great trip report so far!

Comment

I know that pics.... and i know you're hiding some of them to us
              There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
              If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

Feeling rejuvenated
                That kind of behaviour is not allowed here on SQTalk. Besides, I'm not sure his girlfriend would like it either.

Comment

Oh, btw... great report too

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                    I know that pics.... and i know you're hiding some of them to us
                    *cough* excuse me?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      That kind of behaviour is not allowed here on SQTalk. Besides, I'm not sure his girlfriend would like it either.

Oh well... she doesn't know where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        *cough* excuse me?
                        LOLOL.... i saw last night your complete album

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                          LOLOL.... i saw last night your complete album
                          And what did you see?

Comment

LOLOLOL

Comment

Nice pics... great report!
                              Looking forward to more soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X