SQ351 Was Only 25km NE Of Ill-fated MH17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ351 Was Only 25km NE Of Ill-fated MH17

It is a scary thought that SQ351 from CPH to SIN was so close to MH17 at that time.
    Why was SIA still using the flight route over that warzone when other airlines like BA, AF, CI, OZ, QF have banned flights over eastern Ukraine?
    Off course now, after the tradegy, SIA has come out to say that with immediate effect they will no longer fly over Ukraine.

Because, however inaccurately, ICAO and IATA had said the airspace was safe. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Let's go current:

1) Which airline today doesn't fly over Taliban-held Afghanistan?
      2) Does the ME airlines fly over ISIS-held Iraq?

Thank heavens, most have the sense not to go anywhere near Mr Kim's Never Never Land.

Comment

One good thing that might come out of this is a more serious approach to risk assessment around airspace. The current NOTAMS compiled by various agencies appear inconsistent, and obviously flawed. The is little transparency as to the real risk and asessment thereof, just an assumption that someone has been able to assess the situation properly.

The presence of 'a safe above 320' may have given a false sense of security - a belief that someone actually had thought about the weapons on the ground, in the light of good credible intelligence, and come to a reasonable conclusion based on that intelligence. Anyone care to bet if that was actually the case?

As an aside, many, including the operational management of the Airlines, may as I was, been unaware that the situation in Eastern Ukraine was as serious as it obviously is. I had men with pitchforks as my starting point, not heavily armed Russian backed 'troops'.
        Last edited by mr_botak; 19 July 2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Let's go current:

1) Which airline today doesn't fly over Taliban-held Afghanistan?
          2) Does the ME airlines fly over ISIS-held Iraq?

Thank heavens, most have the sense not to go anywhere near Mr Kim's Never Never Land.
          "1)" is technically wrong.

Comment

In today's papers, there was a report on which airlines flew across Ukraine using this air route as MH17 - and surprise surprise, SIA tops the list as the heaviest user for a total of 75 times over the past week as a foreign carrier, other than Russia's Aeroflot !

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              Exception being any carrier flying in and out of ICN of course...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                Exception being any carrier flying in and out of ICN of course...
                Well them, and the esteemed JS, the world's most awarded 1-star airline!

Comment

Originally posted by kevin-sg View Post
                  It is a scary thought that SQ351 from CPH to SIN was so close to MH17 at that time.
                  Why was SIA still using the flight route over that warzone when other airlines like BA, AF, CI, OZ, QF have banned flights over eastern Ukraine?
                  Off course now, after the tradegy, SIA has come out to say that with immediate effect they will no longer fly over Ukraine.
                  QF no longer fly over Ukraine since moving all Aus-European operations to fly via Dubai...however they do fly over Iraq and Syria when flying between DXB and LHR

Comment

Does anyone know if it is still true that only 3 commercial airliners may fly over Afghanistan at 3 different flight levels at a time? Flying from BKK-ZRH, I noticed that the plane had flown a loop and reduced its flight level before entering Afghan airspace. Landing lights were also turned on. A pilot from Swiss once told me that this was required..

Comment

It may have just been that, whilst a warning was issued, the UN still said it was safe enough for airliners to fly over eastern Ukraine, MAS, SIA they were all told that whilst warnings were issued. I think it was cheaper to fly over eastern Ukraine than to go around. Anyway, think about all the economic pressure airlines must be under, I mean, how often when you need to travel go online and search for the cheapest flights? (I personally always go SQ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Digthatjive View Post
                        QF no longer fly over Ukraine since moving all Aus-European operations to fly via Dubai...however they do fly over Iraq and Syria when flying between DXB and LHR
                        http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...t/1270536.html

Has more details.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                          Looking at great circle route not sure why QF would have flown over Ukraine from DXB-LHR at any point. Would have been out of the way and burnt more fuel...not sure Mr Joyce would have approved that arrangement. When QF flew SIN-LHR and HKG-LHR pre the DXB/Emirates re-alignment of the Kangaroo route, then Ukraine would have been on the path between these city pairs for QF1/2,QF9/10, etc

Apologies for diverting topic onto a minor point...I just don't believe the statements coming out of Qantas media unit on this issue.

Comment

Just the thought of arms proliferation makes me wish all airlines took precautions by default.

Besides capability, there's also motive/intent. In Ukraine, there's no benefit to downing a passenger jet, at least for the pro-separatists. In some parts of the world, it's grand to take down anything. Then there's the occasional "oops".

I'm glad to see major US and some European carriers are temporarily halting flights to Tel Aviv amidst escalating violence.

At the moment, mixed reports on LH, BA, and AF.

Comment

What was the registration of the B772 that was operating SQ351 on July 17, 2014 when MH17 was shot down?

9V-SV*?
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Working...
                              X