Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh joy, more security on flights to the US...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh joy, more security on flights to the US...

Just in time for my flight from Heathrow to Miami on Saturday.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28138526

Originally posted by Straits Times
    The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will not allow cellphones or other electronic devices on US-bound planes at some overseas airports if the devices are not charged up, the agency said on Sunday.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/news/wor...anes-if-theyre
    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

That's gonna be a real pain. How much charge are they expecting, geez...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        That's gonna be a real pain. How much charge are they expecting, geez...
        Presumably to able to switch it on?

Comment

So when (not if) we're out of power, there'd better be plenty of wall sockets (with transformers for us non-US pax) ready to prove our devices don't have nefarious purposes. Still a royal pain.

Comment

There didn't seem to be much difference on Saturday for my LHR-MIA flight, although the latter announcement hadn't been made then.

On a related note coming through MIA on Saturday, traditionally one of the worst airports in the US (and beyond...) to transit, wasn't as bad as usual due to us arriving an hour late and those of us on tight connections as a result getting a Fast Track Voucher, which I have kept for future use. A couple of our Engineers went through yesterday and had a two hour saga with grief off the authorities about the short notice trip.

Comment

Still a royal pain.
              Well its not called The Land of the Free and Paranoid for no apparent reason
              I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

So when (not if) we're out of power, there'd better be plenty of wall sockets (with transformers for us non-US pax) ready to prove our devices don't have nefarious purposes. Still a royal pain.

It's only a matter of time.......

Given I also put ALL my chargers and cables in my check-in bags, I can see a day when I need to leave behind a laptop because nobody has a plug for it at security. The need for flexible tickets just increased 30%.

Comment

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

TSA misses loaded gun, knife on passengers boarding separate London-bound flights
                    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/10...cmp=latestnews
                    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                      So is that only cabin baggage or does that also include checked in?
                      As far as I can read, this affects only cabin baggage and if you run out of juice, your equipment will go below as checked-luggage.

This seems to be the same way they handle things like scissors, etc.

Comment

This is always in my handcarry..... don't board an airplane without it....

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I've just switched to the Sony 10,000 (virtually the same). It's slimmer (but longer), however it's a lot less bulky and allows dual pass-through charging (can charge two things plugged in while battery itself is charging).

Also, it fits right into my tiny camera bag slot (the Xiaomi wouldn't, too chubby)! Bought in HKG for only HKD469...

I have two more Xiaomis (one is quite mint) I want to get rid off now, in case you want another one?

Comment

I've just switched to the Sony 10,000 (virtually the same). It's slimmer (but longer), however it's a lot less bulky and allows dual pass-through charging (can charge two things plugged in while battery itself is charging).

Also, it fits right into my tiny camera bag slot (the Xiaomi wouldn't, too chubby)! Bought in HKG for only HKD469...

I have two more Xiaomis (one is quite mint) I want to get rid off now, in case you want another one?
                            1 is enough, I have another slimmer one...
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I flew CDG-USA with DL on July 3 and the security was less than usual. I was never asked the standard questions about who packed my bag, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X