SQ863 HKG-SIN in A350 Economy, and Hong Kong before the Protests/Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very quiet take-off...

Cabin service started with a round of drinks...

Wifi was available on this flight...

Not the most generous data-based packages...

...but probably adequate for a quick WhatsApp message or Facebook post or two. Just remember to turn off your connection when not in use, as typical background data usage on a smartphone would deplete your data allowance very quickly unless all background and system activity was turned off.

Comment

Meal service was next...

The menu...

Two choices in Y...

The Oriental selection...

The International selection...

I decided on the International...

This was a wonderful meal...

A tasty shrimp salad starter...

The chicken was quite delicious!

Haagen Dazs chocolate ice cream for dessert...perfect...

I rewatched parts of Crazy Rich Asians as I ate...

Comment

We were soon over the coast of Vietnam...

Bathrooms were done in light tones, with a splash of colour...

A view out the window...

Great cabin ambience in A350 Y....

Last edited by yflyer; 11 April 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I browsed the Dec 2018 issue of SilverKris magazine...

SQ's route map...

Who knew that in a year and a half, much of SQ's fleet would be grounded in the midst of the Covid-19 crisis...

Much of the fleet listed in the SilverKris magazine is now parked at Changi Airport, grounded until the air travel situation returns to normal.

There are a few pictures circulating on the internet of the grounded fleet at Changi. Not a pretty sight.

But all that was in the future, on that day in November 2018, we began our descent and landed at Changi on a very busy evening...

This was a wonderful flight...very good cabin crew, superb catering and a top notch cabin product on SQ's A350.
          Last edited by yflyer; 11 April 2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Final reflections...

It is quite difficult to comprehend how different the situation is now, compared to what it was at the end of 2018. Both Hong Kong and Singapore are quite different places now, as we grapple with the impact of Covid-19. The aviation sector is one that is among the hardest hit, and I worry about how airlines like SQ and CX will weather the current turmoil.

With so few flights still operating, we are seeing SQ cabin crew voluntarily redeployed as "care ambassadors" to assist in the current Covid-19 situation, which I think is really admirable. In this crisis, everyone can play a part, either by helping the national effort, or simply by abiding by restrictions and staying at home, and I am glad SQ is also playing a role.

Stay safe everyone, and thanks for reading!

Comment

Hey there,

Always a pleasure to read your trip reports. So wholesome.

Makes the circuit breaker more bearable.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                Hey there,

Always a pleasure to read your trip reports. So wholesome.

Makes the circuit breaker more bearable.
                Thanks, SINFJ! Mostly wholesome, except for some sinfully high calorie meals!

Comment

Great TR, yflyer. Love your pics of the SQ 77W (Which I was hoping to fly on this year on SQ1 and SQ2) and the A350. Hong Kong is also really nice. I do hope one time I get to visit the city on a different trip on CX when times get back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    Great TR, yflyer. Love your pics of the SQ 77W (Which I was hoping to fly on this year on SQ1 and SQ2) and the A350. Hong Kong is also really nice. I do hope one time I get to visit the city on a different trip on CX when times get back to normal.
                    Thanks SQfanatic! Those were very different times! I wonder when I will have the opportunity to head back to Hong Kong again. It's an amazing place with a vibe like almost no other city.

Comment

What a great read. Thoroughly loved it please don't stop doing more

Comment

Originally posted by jani View Post
                        What a great read. Thoroughly loved it please don't stop doing more
                        Thanks very much, jani! Nothing would make me happier than the end of travel restrictions, and getting on a plane again for another trip (report)!

Comment

Working...
                        X