Emirates A380 to Dubai, the DXB F Lounge, and a glimpse of Islamabad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emirates A380 to Dubai, the DXB F Lounge, and a glimpse of Islamabad

I have flown the competition, and I am in awe.

Everyone in the airline business seems to be afraid of Emirates. They are the one to beat, or at least contain. Having just flown EK’s A380 in Y, and experienced their new F Lounge in DXB's T3 Concourse A, I can see why.

I do not work in the airline industry –- my impressions are all from the outside in, as a customer and a flyer – but even from that perspective it does seem that Emirates is growing from strength to strength, and getting many things right.

They are also quite over-the-top in some ways, pampering the high end, while simultaneously managing to handle low-margin business quite astutely.

Emirates, like SQ, are an airline success story. But EK and SQ are such different airlines, with many differences in product and philosophy, which go far beyond “showers or no showers on the A380”.

I see the rivalry between EK and SQ as being largely healthy for pax and maybe even the industry as a whole, with each introducing one innovation after another to stay ahead. Both airlines are at the top of their game, and play in largely separate markets, although where the markets intersect, the competition is brutal…

I am sure both EK and SQ observe each other closely like opponents in a chess match, although in some ways a poker game is a better analogy for the airline industry.

I recently spent a week in Islamabad, Pakistan – only my second time there in 10 years. There are several ways to get there from Singapore. The easiest are via BKK or DXB. Most of my colleagues prefer to fly via BKK as this is a shorter route, whereas flying via DXB involves some backtracking. However, I’ve never really found anything unique about TG, and I believe they tend to put their older planes on the BKK-ISB route.

I’ve always wanted to try out EK’s A380. EK had a very competitive fare for SIN-DXB-ISB in economy class. Also, my Qantas Platinum FF benefits (The only good thing to come out of the QF/Emirates "partnership"...in inverted commas because I have yet to figure out how QF has benefited from this...) would allow me to sample the Emirates F Lounge. These factors sealed the argument in favour of flying to ISB via DXB on Emirates.

This TR covers SIN-DXB on an Emirates A380 then DXB-ISB on a two-class 777-300ER. I would spend a week in Islamabad, before heading back the same way ISB-DXB, spending a day in Dubai before heading back to SIN on a very new EK A380, with a newer Y cabin product than on my outbound flight. While in DXB, I would also sample the Emirates First Lounge in T3 Concourse A, a dedicated A380 concourse, with 18 A380-ready departure gates, and direct F and J Lounge access to the departure gates.

I stayed at both the Islamabad Marriott, and the Serena Hotel– the top hotels there, located within the so-called “Red Zone”, a highly protected area of Islamabad where the Pakistani Parliament, the Supreme Court, and the PM’s Office are.

My impressions of Emirates coming up, as well as a glimpse of Islamabad…
    Last edited by yflyer; 2 June 2014, 08:22 PM.

I flew once on EK's Y SIN-DXB-AMM. The former sector was flown on a 744. It was one of the most uncomfortable flights I have ever taken. If I recall correctly, it had a 3-5-3 config, and I was seated in dead centre. Looking forward to your TR on the 388.

Comment

My trip started in Changi T1, where I was scheduled to depart on EK355 SIN-DXB at 9.25pm.

This would be operated by an A380. There are multiple EK flights to Dubai, including some operated by EK's 77W. But EK's 77W's are 10 abreast in Y -- I try to avoid that config as a matter of principle...

I first headed to the Emirates Lounge, located at one end of T1, up an escalator from the departure gates.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

This was not a new lounge, and the decor could charitably be described as "classic", but at least it was spacious.

Good beverage selection, including decent champagne and wine...

They even have Singapore Sling on offer...

Comment

The catering in the lounge was superb.

If the catering was not as inspired as QF's lounge offerings overseen by Neil Perry, the EK dishes were of very high quality, very well presented, and far superior to what I saw in most other lounges in Changi (including the J section of the SQ Silver Kris Lounge).

Although I was flying Y, I could imagine that the starters on offer in the lounge were what they served as starters in the premium classes inflight...

Why settle for 3 sticks of satay onboard, when you can gorge yourself on dozens of sticks on the ground

Comment

Basic shower facilities were also available in the lounge, although this was a "self service" shower, rather than a shower area manned by counter staff.

Rattan basket of towels for pax to help themselves to.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

At the boarding gate, airport staff were already setting up temperature sensors, in order to begin screening pax arriving from the Middle East, a MERS hotspot.

My ride for today would be Emirates A380 registration A6-EDA. Emirates displays the registration as part of their flight information screen -- very handy. This plane was six years old, delivered in July 2008, which makes it one of the older A380's flying. At construction number 11, this was the 3rd A380 delivered to Emirates. At that point in time, SQ was still ahead with 5 birds...

Boarding took place on time...

First impressions...still fairly new on the inside, with decent ambience, although subjectively I felt that SQ's Y cabin felt brighter and more open.

The whole lower deck is Y, in conventional 3-4-3 layout.

The large section in the rear of the Emirates A380 is used for operational purposes/crew rest, and there are no seats there. This gave the rear of the plane a very different feel from SQ's A380.

There were window seats on either side of this enclosed section. These sections were not noisier than the other parts of the cabin, and even felt a little more private, although these seats may not appeal to some pax, simply because they were close to a wall. I was seated in this section, and I found the seats fine.

Comment

Legroom was ok.

Each seat came with a soft blanket and a pillow.

The headrest was adjustable.

Comfort-wise, I found the seat ok. It was a wide seat at 10-abreast on the lower deck, but not especially comfortable when fully upright.

Things were better when reclined (recline was average), but overall I preferred the SQ A380 Y seat to the Emirates seat on this aircraft. The best A380 Y seat I have tried is still the QF A380 Y seat designed by Marc Newson. And just for comparison, this is what Air France offers.

Comment

The IFE was very good. It was full AVOD, with a huge selection of programmes and information. SQ's IFE is great, but this managed to top it.

Although it was a touchscreen, a controller with display was also provided.

Headphones with the 2-pin connector.

In addition, it had 3 external camera views...

A tail camera...

A forward camera, still pointing at C23 while at Changi...

And of course a downward camera.

Each seatrest came with A/C power.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Hot towels were offered prior to take off...

As a Platinum Frequent Flyer, I was also greeted and handed a Fast Track card for Dubai.

And then we were off...

It was a very clear night, and pax on the right of the plane were treated to great views of Singapore by night.

It was not a full flight, and the rear section of the plane was fairly empty. I had 3 Y seats to myself to sleep on. Joy!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

There was also OnAir inflight wifi available at additional charge.

Although I didn't buy the service, I did manage to connect to the login screen via wifi on my Macbook.

Comment

Dinner service started with a round of beverages...

Menu cards were handed out...

Two choice of main, and a nice selection of beverages...but why the exhorbitant charge for champagne? QF offers complimentary sparking wine, and AF offers champagne gratis in Y.

I ordered the Hungarian Chicken. It was a substantial portion, and quite tasty.

Apart from the starter and main, there was a also a pack of biscuits and dips, which I thought was a nice touch.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Another view of the rear section of the plane. I maintain that if a flight is not full, and you are travelling Y, then the rear section of the plane is the place to be (applies to SQ too) as the odds of getting a row of empty seats to yourself are far higher than if you were seated in front (or in the small upper deck Y section on SQ).

Fairly good Y cabin ambience, and a sense of spaciousness that only an A380 could give you, but nothing unique compared to other airlines's A380's. I thought that SQ's Y cabin felt even more elegant and spacious.

Overall, I found this my experience on this A380 flight in Y to be very good -- about comparable to SQ's A380 Y offering, with superior IFE on Emirates, although in many respects (the seat, the cabin ambience, and the catering for example) I found SQ to be preferable. Cabin service was fine (they always make a big deal at the start about the cabin crew onboard coming from x countries and speaking y languages) but SQ cabin crew remain more polished and professional, and have that X factor about them which you don't see on any other airline. So for both hard product and soft product, SQ was still ahead by a hair judging from this flight.

But this was on aircraft A6-EDA, an early build A380. My return flight DXB-SIN would be on A6-EEF, a one year old A380 delivered in May 2013, with a new cabin product in Y. Would this be sufficient to tip the scales in favour of Emirates? More on this when I reach the DXB-SIN sector...

Comment

The external cameras gave pax a great view of the approach into DXB...

The view out the window...

I loved the front camera view of the runway as we landed...

We landed smoothly for an on-time arrival in DXB Terminal 3.

This is a massive terminal, a very long tube-like terminal with a cavernous interior.

And alongside, a row of gleaming A380's.

Emirates uses the Engine Alliance GP7200 engines on the A380, not the Rolls Royce Trent engines that SQ uses.

Comment

Almost everyone arriving on this flight seemed to be heading somewhere else.

In T3, Emirates seems to have worked out a fairly efficient system for moving and sorting out large numbers of pax. There were no real bottlenecks or chokepoints and everyone seemed to head where they needed to go without too much confusion.

Complimentary baby strollers...

After clearing security, I found myself in the main shopping area, still bustling at 1am in the morning.

Camel milk chocolate anyone?

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X