No announcement yet.

Run Report: Changi Airport Connector - ECP to Jurassic Mile & Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday morning (Sunday 18 Oct), after passing early morning showers, the weather was too good for me to pass up the opportunity to revisit this running route from East Coast Park to the Changi Jurassic Mile and then to Hub & Spoke once again.

I ran the same route as before, only this time I did this starting at 9.25am in the morning, arriving at the Jurassic Mile at 10.17am and continuing to Hub & Spoke by 10.45am.

As mentioned, this was perfect running weather, cool and overcast, with just the occasional mild drizzle.

I've covered East Coast Park in my earlier post, here are some additional pics of Changi Jurassic Mile, and Hub & Spoke, during the daytime...

The Jurassic Mile has a slightly different vibe during the daytime, compared to the evening. A visit any time during the day or evening would be good, but I would recommend early evening / dusk as a great time to visit...

This was a Sunday, and until January 2021, pre-booking (via website) is required for visitors from Fri-Sun. I did not have a booking: when I checked the website earlier in the day, all slots were fully redeemed.

That said, I thought, what the heck, let me give it a shot anyway and headed out for my run regardless.

At the entrance to the Jurassic Mile, a small checkpoint had been setup to manage entry, and I was asked if I had a booking. When I told them I did not have a booking, and asked if I could go through anyway, they did allow me through as it was not very crowded that morning (I think the rain kept crowds away)...

I thanked the staff, and headed in, all perspiration (and rain) soaked from the previous 9K...

While not packed, it was still fairly busy, despite a slight drizzle...

I noticed that the baby T-Rex in the egg was indeed missing a few teeth from vandals...what idiots. I believe it has now been taken away for repairs...

Near the end point (Or start point if you are starting from the Airport end) of the Jurassic Mile...where you can see gate G1 of T4 in the background...

In the daytime I could better see the T4 building near where the Jurassic Mile entry/exit point was...

Wish I was on that A350 taking off...and not on the ground...

Last edited by yflyer; 19 October 2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

The Airport Connector continued past the front of T4, which is currently closed...

The empty driveway of T4...

There is a bus stop to the city at the T4 multistorey carpark...

The bus stop is still operating, and was quite busy...

The connector continues past T4...

...and goes by SATS, Dnata before passing the VIP complex and Jetquay...

Along the way distances were conveniently indicated on wooden signs...

Just follow the red trail...

...to Hub & Spoke...

Comment

Hub & Spoke was fairly busy at 10.45am in the morning that Sunday...

There is a large public carpark opposite Hub & Spoke...

Beyond Hub & Spoke, the connector continued for a short distance to T2, which is currently also not operating...

Bike Lockers just outside T2...

Bike Locker rates...

At this point, those on bikes have to dismount...

From here there are lifts and walkways to access all other airport terminals and Jewel...

That wraps up this update...maybe next time I'll head into Jewel itself to cool off after my run!

Comment

Brown Netting at Jurassic Mile

By now most folks in Singapore would have read the news that there has been at least one case of a golf ball from Tanah Merah Country Club hitting a visitor at Changi Jurassic Mile. There have apparently also been some near misses.

As a result, brown netting has now been installed along the Jurassic Mile.

My take? The brown netting is terribly unsightly, and to me, has ruined the whole scenic experience.

Look at how the trail looks now...

I am glad I went before the nets went up. And I should probably count myself lucky that the golfers that day didn't lob one over the fence...although the odds are really very low for a ball to actually hit a visitor.

While the brown netting might be seen by some to be a necessary safety measure, I wish a more elegant solution could have been found. For example, cyclists are already protected (To some extent) by their biking helmets...

Perhaps a neater solution would be to hand out construction hard hats at each end of the trail, like they did at Taiwan's Taroko Gorge...

Heck, even umbrellas would have done the trick.

How about it, NParks, or whoever administers the PCN? Just offer umbrellas and hard hats at either end, along with a sign that all visitors are to enter at their own risk. Get rid of those ugly nets. And perhaps encourage the golfers at Tanah Merah to go for more lessons...

As it is right now, the attractiveness of Changi Jurassic Mile is greatly diminished. I would no longer recommend this place as an "attraction", although it still serves a great purpose as a park connector between East Coast Park and Changi Airport.

On the bright side, at least the baby dinosaur egg is back in place. It's teeth were previously damaged by inconsiderate visitors. The baby dino is now back, after undergoing top notch dental care!

Last edited by yflyer; 30 November 2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            By now most folks in Singapore would have read the news that there has been at least one case of a golf ball from Tanah Merah Country Club hitting a visitor at Changi Jurassic Mile. There have apparently also been some near misses.

As a result, brown netting has now been installed along the Jurassic Mile.

My take? The brown netting is terribly unsightly, and to me, has ruined the whole scenic experience.

Look at how the trail looks now...

I am glad I went before the nets went up. And I should probably count myself lucky that the golfers that day didn't lob one over the fence...although the odds are really very low for a ball to actually hit a visitor.

While the brown netting might be seen as some to be a necessary safety measure, I wish a more elegant solution could have been found. For example, cyclists are already protected (To some extent) by their biking helmets...

Perhaps a neater solution would be to hand out construction hard hats at each end of the trail, like they did at Taiwan's Taroko Gorge...

Heck, even umbrellas would have done the trick.

How about it, NParks, CIAS or whoever administers the PCN? Just offer umbrellas and hard hats at either end, along with a sign that all visitors are to enter at their own risk. Get rid of those ugly nets. And perhaps encourage the golfers at Tanah Merah to go for more lessons...

As it is right now, the attractiveness of Changi Jurassic Mile is greatly diminished. I would no longer recommend this place as an "attraction", although it still serves a great purpose as a park connector between East Coast Park and Changi Airport.

On the bright side, at least the baby dinosaur egg is back in place. It's teeth were previously damaged by inconsiderate visitors. The baby dino is now back, after undergoing top notch dental care!

I read somewhere it was tenah merah country club that said it wouldn’t be an issue because of the wind direction.

I reckon they should pay for a better and more elegant solution, like a much higher vertical netting rather than overhead. Had it been planned during the construction of the infrastructure, a better solution could possibly have been found.

Comment

Working...
            X