Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has coronavirus affected your travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am flying for the first time since January tomorrow. After thinking I would be really looking forward to it after so long, the hassle of masks and all the other stuff (like the countries I am visiting suddenly going on the UK quarantine list) sadly means I'm not, despite it being to two of my favourite cities and hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      I am in Bangkok now and wow is it quiet. I did think about cancelling but in the end I think I am just as likely to catch it at home as I am here.

I did have to cancel a trip to Hong Kong, I probably would have gone but my flight home was cancelled.
      Turned out I was overly optimistic. Got stranded trying to get home when the Philippines went on lockdown. I managed to get a flight to Manila but could not get a flight back to where I live.

So I ended up spending 4.5 months stranded. First 6 weeks in hotel and then I managed to move to an Airbnb apartment. Finally I managed to get the required paperwork to get a sweeper flight back to where I live. But then I had to go into quarantine for 14 days on arrival (in the end I did 10 days in a hotel and when my test result came back I was allowed to do the final 4 days at home).

I think it is going to be a very long time before I travel anywhere again.

Comment

Turned out I was overly optimistic. Got stranded trying to get home when the Philippines went on lockdown. I managed to get a flight to Manila but could not get a flight back to where I live.

So I ended up spending 4.5 months stranded. First 6 weeks in hotel and then I managed to move to an Airbnb apartment. Finally I managed to get the required paperwork to get a sweeper flight back to where I live. But then I had to go into quarantine for 14 days on arrival (in the end I did 10 days in a hotel and when my test result came back I was allowed to do the final 4 days at home).

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lobster! Sounds like quite an ordeal. I can't imagine living away for 4.5 months like that. Glad you made it back home eventually!

Comment

So I ended up spending 4.5 months stranded.
          That's just not fun at all.

Comment

That's awful! What an ordeal... Quite a few heartrending stories out there of Australians not being able to travel to be with dying family members, attend funerals, help out with birth of grandchildren etc, and equally expats not being able to return home because of the strict cap on inbound arrivals (these aren't tourists who have been gallivanting overseas but expats who have been living overseas for a while but suddenly find themselves out of work).

This lady was one of the lucky ones:
            https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-ve...20-p55njy.html
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 August 2020, 02:23 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Goodness, even booking a hotel for a simple overnight trip to Canberra - 3-4h drive from where we are depending on traffic - for a truffle hunt feels like locking in the Trip of a Lifetime... We're not even getting on a plane...
              Pics of said overnight trip. So good to get out of Sydney for a bit.

Truffle hunting at The Truffle Farm - definitely returning next season for the Truffle Degustation. Jason the owner used to be a canine trainer for the AFP and has done many a stint at airports across the country. Half the fun was playing with the truffle dogs:
              https://www.instagram.com/p/CD74Nflj..._web_copy_link

Pretty fun wine bar that serves tasty food - Bar Rochford:
              https://www.instagram.com/p/CD71LxLj..._web_copy_link

Moar truffles at Rebel Rebel:
              https://www.instagram.com/p/CD70snij..._web_copy_link

We also played our part in documenting these COVID19 times for the National Archives:
              https://www.instagram.com/p/CD70ES1D..._web_copy_link

We stayed at Midnight Hotel in Braddon, a Bonvoy-affiliated property (Autograph Collection). Great Gold Elite recognition - FREE MINIBAR*, 1400 late checkout proactively offered, and 1 category room upgrade.

Returned to Sydney with a boot full of our favourite single-source Tempranillos from Mt Majura. The Canberra District produces some of the best cool climate reds IMO (try the Syrah over at Lerida Estate or Clonanakilla, or the Cab Sav at Lark Hill if you haven't already).

Now I'm hoping Lord Howe Island happens! They got spooked by the 2nd wave in VIC and resurgence in NSW, and have delayed their re-opening from 3 August to 31 August but our trip isn't till October so fingers crossed NSW holds the line between now and then (a month feels like a century these days...).

*Convo went something like...
              Hotel receptionist : As a Gold member you get.... free minibar.
              Me: Oh, sweet. (thinking one could really get drunk on OJ and milk)
              Hotel receptionist, nodding earnestly, probably wondering about my mildly disinterested reaction: Yes, everything in that minibar is free.

Arrived at room to find, amongst other things, 2 half bottles of wine and cans of beer in said minibar. Cue call to reception.

Me:... so when you said "free minibar", does that also include the alcohol?
              Receptionist: Yes, everything is free. All for you. Enjoy.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 22 August 2020, 03:04 PM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hello All

To all those who know me it has been far to long and I hope you are all doing well. As for traveling around I haven't done much of that for far too long and it's been tough. I had the big C and that curtailed my travels for a long time. When I was finally able to travel again coronavirus hit cancelling all my planned trips. I had another go recently, but unfortunately those flights were also cancelled. I will most likely wait until next year now.

My international Playboy days are behind me, I sort of miss that, but I can't say my bank balance isn't happy about it. I still remain close to some of the girls from my adventures, but I did find myself a special someone in the end and all is going well so far.

Everybody stay safe and I hope you can all spread your wings again soon.

Comment

Working...
                X