A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bishop9011 View Post
    So who is responsible for assigning the aircraft then ?
    @Bishop9011, not me who is responsible. Tonight SQ322 will be served by 9V-SKW , yes it is the new A380//Layout-3 . Your flight on 20 Feb will be The New A380 also, at present it will be served by 9V-SKU (also a new A380) however thing can change, one or two days prior departure will be more accurate.

Comment

• Great posts flyguy, boing & Stratoliner777! Great to see a thread go into thoughtful, factual discussion like this.

It's an interesting point about the Suites offering. The A380 picked up from where the 747 began with offering airlines the possibility of adding elements of private jet interior design into their fit outs. Airports resized gates and tarmac to accommodate these planes. It seems really surreal for the trend to suddenly go smaller. Am I correct in assuming there's now nothing bigger in the Airbus sales catalogue than an A350?

Comment

• With the demise of A380, I foresee First class going the way of the dodo. Major airlines, SQ included, are reducing or eliminating F altogether on the latest aircrafts.

With floorprint vastly reduced in newer generation aircraft and the difference between F and J cabins reducing, F class days are numbered.

Millenials are also starting to form a bigger share in the travel demographics. If past experience with the millenials holds true, they would be another nail in the coffin for F. J would be the new F and PEY the replacement for J. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
          J would be the new F and PEY the replacement for J. Just my 2 cents.
          Agree and when you compare what was on offer 25 years ago J(2019) = F(1994) and PEY(2019) = J(1994)

Comment

• Why doesn't SQ have F on the direct Sin LAX or Sin EWR flights? I would have thought F would be more in demand on these ultra long haul flights?

Also J on the direct flights are much cheaper than going through NRT and FRA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucksta View Post
              Why doesn't SQ have F on the direct Sin LAX or Sin EWR flights? I would have thought F would be more in demand on these ultra long haul flights?

Also J on the direct flights are much cheaper than going through NRT and FRA.
              Unless the 77W F product fits into the A350, they would have had to design a complete new product for that. I guess also that the A340 all J never had F.

Comment

With the demise of A380, I foresee First class going the way of the dodo. Major airlines, SQ included, are reducing or eliminating F altogether on the latest aircrafts.

With floorprint vastly reduced in newer generation aircraft and the difference between F and J cabins reducing, F class days are numbered.

Millenials are also starting to form a bigger share in the travel demographics. If past experience with the millenials holds true, they would be another nail in the coffin for F. J would be the new F and PEY the replacement for J. Just my 2 cents.
                The decline of F is also due more to the economy from the last few years and it was soon after SIA has introduced its suites on the A380, and shorty the demand have gone down and therefore we can see how SIA have decided to reduce its suites from 12 to now 6 in all its A380s and there's only just 4 F seats in its 77W. Certaintly some travellers from F have migrated to business class and SIA have increased its business class seating, and have introduced the PEY, which however is still not particularly popular. But overall, F and suites class have been reduced and when the A380s goes, its unlikely to have anymore suite class.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  Great posts flyguy, boing & Stratoliner777! Great to see a thread go into thoughtful, factual discussion like this.

It's an interesting point about the Suites offering. The A380 picked up from where the 747 began with offering airlines the possibility of adding elements of private jet interior design into their fit outs. Airports resized gates and tarmac to accommodate these planes. It seems really surreal for the trend to suddenly go smaller. Am I correct in assuming there's now nothing bigger in the Airbus sales catalogue than an A350?
                  Correct! All of that upgrading will still be useful given that the aircraft will still be in service in the years ahead. But it may not have been as big a return on investment as once thought.

As for Suites, SQ likes to say in official videos that they are "taking advantage of the real estate" on the Superjumbo. That being said, EK has put its fully-enclosed suites on its 77Ws. It's an interesting contrast with SQ in that EK's best product is on a twinjet widebody. In a similar vein, AF's new F class is on their 77W, and is better than the corresponding product on their purported flagship. QR's world-beating J class is on their 77W too.

It's likely that the SQ Suites would fit in say a 777-9 cabin (given that it is wider than the A380 upper deck, although I wonder whether a single aisle would be allowed.

Comment

J would be the new F and PEY the replacement for J.
                    I can totally see that coming. Absolutely agree!

J products today already outshines F of not-too-distant yesterday. Not only that, many companies are downshifting employee air-travel benefits.

So it makes very logical sense to target the former-F passengers with really good J offerings, and use PEY as a safety net for those dropping out of J.

Back to topic - I feel sad to see the end of the A380 but having said that, whenever given a choice of flying a 777 vs the whalejet, I've always picked the former. And that is despite having always only flown premium cabin in the A380. I'd shudder at the thought of being the last passenger off the huge plane and joining the long immigration queue.

Comment

• Would prefer tha A380 due to its "quietness" and spaciousness but except the many people and longer wait at the baggage carousel on arival. And the best seat in the new A380 is the first row of the PEY and the first seat on the plane. However we still would have at least the next 15 years or so to enjoy flying the A380s, unless the fuel prices goes up too high for airlines to retire them much earlier.
                      Last edited by flyguy; 16 February 2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Airbus could always see if new engines and new wing shapes can make the A380 more efficient.

Seems like a waste to just throw away all that engineering. It’s only been 12 years since the first revenue flight.

Comment

Airbus could always see if new engines and new wing shapes can make the A380 more efficient.

Seems like a waste to just throw away all that engineering. It’s only been 12 years since the first revenue flight.
                          It's not that easy and the main thing is it will cost Airbus a few billion to do a new wing design, and for the engines, Airbus do not make engines, and for the A380, its still a 4 engined plane which the new and efficient planes are all twin engined. Actually Emirates have been asking Airbus to develop a more efficient A380s but its only one major airline and its not in Airbus to really do it.

Comment

• Is the 747-800 more fuel efficient than the A380?

Does anyone know why the 747-800 isn’t as popular with airlines?

Comment

Is the 747-800 more fuel efficient than the A380?

Does anyone know why the 747-800 isn’t as popular with airlines?
                              Simple. It has twice the engine of a twin. Higher fuel consumption and maintenance.

On hindsight, if Airbus had continued with the freighter version of A380, I personally feel it wouldn't be facing its demise right now. Remembered Fedex and UPS ordering A380Fs only for Airbus to cancel it to concentrate on gettings its delays straightened.

With its ability to carry a high volume payload across 3 decks and the present trend of shopping online across the globe, it would have been a good fit for cargo airlines.

It would also have had the flexibility to be converted to a freighter leading it to usefulness after its retirement from pax service.

Comment

Simple. It has twice the engine of a twin. Higher fuel consumption and maintenance.
                                Both 747-8 and A380 have 4 engines?

Comment

Working...
                                X