Close encounters of the SQ 744 kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close encounters of the SQ 744 kind

Well, I know I have bemoaned the sad and slow disappearance of the 744's, but I didn't expect two close ups to the same one in the same day, especially the second time...

First one was this morning on the ground at FRA. While being driven to my remote gate LH4850 to MAN, we drove right past 9V-SPO at her gate prior to setting off to JFK.

The second one, was most unexpected but absolutely spectacular. We were at our crusing altitude and approaching the UK coast, when the Captain came on with an update and out of my window I could see London and pick out LCY. The Captain finished and we banked to the right to head North. Just as he did that my window basically 'filled up with an Megatop', that was very close. I am used to passing across, over and under aircraft in stacks in various places, but I have never seen this before.

With the surprise of seeing it I let out of gasp of 'Jesus'. The guy sat next to me and who I had just been chatting with looked over and I pointed out the window and said 'look at that'. He said 'forking hell, did we nearly hit it?'.

I just really wish my camera was not in my hand luggage in the overhead bin, as it would have made a spectacular picture.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Well, I know I have bemoaned the sad and slow disappearance of the 744's, but I didn't expect two close ups to the same one in the same day, especially the second time...

First one was this morning on the ground at FRA. While being driven to my remote gate LH4850 to MAN, we drove right past 9V-SPO at her gate prior to setting off to JFK.

The second one, was most unexpected but absolutely spectacular. We were at our crusing altitude and approaching the UK coast, when the Captain came on with an update and out of my window I could see London and pick out LCY. The Captain finished and we banked to the right to head North. Just as he did that my window basically 'filled up with an Megatop', that was very close. I am used to passing across, over and under aircraft in stacks in various places, but I have never seen this before.

With the surprise of seeing it I let out of gasp of 'Jesus'. The guy sat next to me and who I had just been chatting with looked over and I pointed out the window and said 'look at that'. He said 'forking hell, did we nearly hit it?'.

I just really wish my camera was not in my hand luggage in the overhead bin, as it would have made a spectacular picture.
    If it was indeed "too" close, will there be report about it somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
      If it was indeed "too" close, will there be report about it somewhere?
      I'm not quite seeing the bit where I said it was 'too' close ?.

I said it was very close, which it was.

Comment

I wasn't quoting you (obviously, since you didn't say that). The dialog you reported suggested it was much closer than one would expect or be comfortable with. That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Just as he did that my window basically 'filled up with an Megatop', that was very close.
          lol, that makes the Megatop sound liquid

Honestly, that must have been an awe inspiring sight. I kinda pity the passengers sitting on the other side.

Comment

I'm suprised you saw a SQ 744 over UK airspace though since SQ no longer flies megatops to LHR unless it was subbed for a 77W??

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyer View Post
              I'm suprised you saw a SQ 744 over UK airspace though since SQ no longer flies megatops to LHR unless it was subbed for a 77W??
              SQ26 would pass through UK airspace on its way from FRA-JFK. Man Flyer noted that the incident occured at cruising altitude so yes it would have happened

Comment

MAN Flyer, were you in any danger? Did you feel it's wake?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  SQ26 would pass through UK airspace on its way from FRA-JFK. Man Flyer noted that the incident occured at cruising altitude so yes it would have happened
                  I was on SQ26 once when it landed at MAN for what later transpired to have been because of a terrorist threat. So I can confirm that the routing of 26 has it up and over the UK in the same way as most US-bound traffic out of LHR.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    His timing would have been better for SQ 25, which usually flies right over Heathrow.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyer View Post
                      As pointed about by 9V-JKL, it was SQ26 on it's way to JFK, which flies over the UK. We were both rather high in the sky at the time. I had driven right past the same a/c on the ground at FRA a short while earlier.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                      MAN Flyer, were you in any danger? Did you feel it's wake?
                      Noo, it was perfectly safe. I probably over did the 'filled the window' bit.

It just looked spectacular and appeared out of the blue when we banked right. We must have been following a very similar path for a while so the pilots must have had a great view of it. As I said, I just wish I had a camera handy.

Comment

Two aircraft cruising on the same heading must be separated by at least 1000Ft. according to air traffic protocols. But the 744 is a big bird so as the plane above banked right to get established on the main N/S airway over the UK, the SQ 744 would have been 1000Ft below but would have appeared much closer.
                        Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Working...
                        X