SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Other Airlines > Star Alliance Partners

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2018, 08:55 AM   #1
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, sometimes DUS
Programs: KFEG
Posts: 2,501
Default Air China miles accrual?

Hi, I thought someone with more experience flying with Air China might be able to solve this one easily for me.

I took two CA international flights (PEK-TSE return) in early April. The economy booking class was T. I specified my KF number when I booked online and that number is on my e-Ticket, although shows as my PhoenixMiles No.

Nowhere on my ticket can I find a reference to miles accrual and nothing has shown up in my account almost 8 weeks since the first flight.

Does CA actually even issue miles? Or could the problem be the T fare class? The PhoenixMiles website I can access is full of "under construction" sections and when I try to use the mileage calculator, it only allows selecting from drop-downs in fields that are all in Chinese characters, which isn't much use to me. The KF calculator only shows information for SQ/MI flights.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 09:46 AM   #2
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 10-Aug-2008
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ228 View Post
Hi, I thought someone with more experience flying with Air China might be able to solve this one easily for me.

I took two CA international flights (PEK-TSE return) in early April. The economy booking class was T. I specified my KF number when I booked online and that number is on my e-Ticket, although shows as my PhoenixMiles No.

Nowhere on my ticket can I find a reference to miles accrual and nothing has shown up in my account almost 8 weeks since the first flight.

Does CA actually even issue miles? Or could the problem be the T fare class? The PhoenixMiles website I can access is full of "under construction" sections and when I try to use the mileage calculator, it only allows selecting from drop-downs in fields that are all in Chinese characters, which isn't much use to me. The KF calculator only shows information for SQ/MI flights.
The problem is with T class. You don't earn miles on Krisflyer for that fare class.
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ228 View Post
Does CA actually even issue miles? Or could the problem be the T fare class? The PhoenixMiles website I can access is full of "under construction" sections and when I try to use the mileage calculator, it only allows selecting from drop-downs in fields that are all in Chinese characters, which isn't much use to me. The KF calculator only shows information for SQ/MI flights.
This chart is your friend: KrisFlyer mileage accrual levels on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and Partner airlines

From the chart, there is no T booking class in the row for Air China, which means that it does not earn any miles at all.

I refer to it constantly when making flight bookings on partner airlines to check if it's worth going for a slightly more expensive fare for more miles that can be credited to Krisflyer, almost always avoiding fare classes which do not earn me any Krisflyer miles.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 01:21 PM   #4
davidfusq
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 03-Jun-2017
Posts: 101
Default

I did the same 'mistake' years ago thinking my relatively cheaper (compared to SQ) SIN-PEK-SIN flight on Air China would accrue KF miles. It didn't accrue any. Later I found out about the booking class and accrual tables and have used it religiously when booking flight on partner airlines.

Using the table, I used to figure out some "hacks" to maximise KF miles accruals without paying expensive fares.
eg.
1. SIN-HKG-SIN on United (before the accrual table changed, United Economy fare always get 100% even the cheapest one like S$ 250 ~ 330) but now this route is no longer served.
2. SIN-TPE-SIN on EVA Air Premium Economy earns you 110% miles at the price cheaper than SQ Economy fare which probably earn only 70% miles.

Interestingly, some of these cheaper fares would still accrue the operating carrier's frequent flyer miles albeit not at 100%, but earn 0% on KF.
davidfusq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 06:16 AM   #5
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, sometimes DUS
Programs: KFEG
Posts: 2,501
Default

Thanks everyone! This saves my time not looking further into it.

That chart was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle, although had I looked at it before booking, I doubt it'd have helped in this case, as T class was expensive as it was and the only other option was the full-flexi that was insanely expensive. That's the reality of flying a route with hardly any competition I guess.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 09:44 AM   #6
zilchster
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 10-Aug-2008
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ228 View Post
Thanks everyone! This saves my time not looking further into it.

That chart was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle, although had I looked at it before booking, I doubt it'd have helped in this case, as T class was expensive as it was and the only other option was the full-flexi that was insanely expensive. That's the reality of flying a route with hardly any competition I guess.
Basically, Air China's cheaper fares accrue almost nothing on KF, only the full-flexi fares. And the full-flexi fares on most routes ain't cheap either. So try to avoid Air China I suppose.
zilchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Unionruler
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 11-Apr-2014
Location: Singapore
Programs: KFEG, AA Gold
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilchster View Post
Basically, Air China's cheaper fares accrue almost nothing on KF, only the full-flexi fares. And the full-flexi fares on most routes ain't cheap either. So try to avoid Air China I suppose.
Full flexi ain't but discount PE to PEK is on sale quite often.
Unionruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net