2017 A380 First Class Suites and Business Class pics and reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST: SIA's new Suites for A-380s fail to wow premium passengers

The Straits Times published an article quoting one (!) businessman who (at least according to Google and his extensive press coverage) is a big fan of Etihad...

"Those who have flown in the A-380's ultra first-class Suites, since the new-look aircraft made its debut on the Singapore-Sydney route in December, have complained of a lack of privacy, especially during meal times when the sliding doors are kept open."

ST hasn't contacted me but there is no SQ policy to keep doors open during meal service.

"It is a clear unobstructed view between Suites across the aisle, they say. There are six Suites on the revamped A-380s."

I concur with the issue when both doors are open and the only situation where you cannot avoid this is take-off and landing.

"Despite some issues with the Suites, the spokesman said: "Overall feedback about the new A-380 Suites product, as well as about the other cabin products on the aircraft, has been extremely positive. We are very pleased with what our customers have been telling us about it.""

I think there is a long list of things I like about the new Suites and I am not sure whether in summary I come to the same conclusion as the ST and my headline for an article would look diffferent.

"SIA would not say if they are considering a redesign of the Suites."

They are definitely looking into this but the actual options are limited.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      The Straits Times published an article quoting one (!) businessman who (at least according to Google and his extensive press coverage) is a big fan of Etihad...

"Those who have flown in the A-380's ultra first-class Suites, since the new-look aircraft made its debut on the Singapore-Sydney route in December, have complained of a lack of privacy, especially during meal times when the sliding doors are kept open."

ST hasn't contacted me but there is no SQ policy to keep doors open during meal service.

"It is a clear unobstructed view between Suites across the aisle, they say. There are six Suites on the revamped A-380s."

I concur with the issue when both doors are open and the only situation where you cannot avoid this is take-off and landing.

"Despite some issues with the Suites, the spokesman said: "Overall feedback about the new A-380 Suites product, as well as about the other cabin products on the aircraft, has been extremely positive. We are very pleased with what our customers have been telling us about it.""

I think there is a long list of things I like about the new Suites and I am not sure whether in summary I come to the same conclusion as the ST and my headline for an article would look diffferent.

"SIA would not say if they are considering a redesign of the Suites."

They are definitely looking into this but the actual options are limited.
      Etihad is still in blatant disregards to profit and I don't know how long it would last for living dangerously.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
        Etihad is still in blatant disregards to profit and I don't know how long it would last for living dangerously.
        Until the ground literally caves in beneath them?

Comment

Took SQ856 too. I picked 97A, just to see how it feels like, sitting right at the back of the bus in a J seat.

The good part. It was cosy. Seat feels more modern and luxurious. Storage was very good with areas exactly at the places you put your things like phones etc. Really like the new table that extends out from under the arm rest which can be set at various positions. The LCD screen is very much improved. The seat cushion is comfortable and in flat bed position, there is no longer the funny intrusion on the side.

97A for my trip was a mixed bag. I was on 9V-SKV which took over shuddering like a old 747, if you know what I mean. Strange as there were no shuddering in older A380s, but it was as quiet as usual after that. Weather en route was horrid with almost unrelenting turbulence until the last hour or so. Sitting at the back I was thrown left and right. The last window was covered by the shell of the seat. What a waste. The good thing was: the height of the seat seems to be higher now that light from my sole window does not seem to disturb the surrounding seats, thanks to the enveloping shells, so I can keep my window open throughout the flight, as did a gentleman in 97F.

The side panel which controls the seat lights, call buttons etc was a nightmare as some of you pointed out. I pressed the call button by accident no less than 5 times, and I had no idea how I did it. Half way into take off I found my seat extending by itself. My arm must have touched the button.

Do I miss the width of the older seats? I actually do. It lacks a certain imposing 'wow' with the older benches, although I appreciate all the improvements. And I can't sit cross legged anymore, unless I turn it into a bed. Will I avoid it? Of course not. But I supposed this is as best they can do with an already very good seat in my opinion. But I am not going out of my way for the new seats.

Those who value IFE will find much joy in the new seats.

Will be flying back to SIN in the new suites at the end of the week. Happy flying!

Comment

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
            Took SQ856 too. I picked 97A, just to see how it feels like, sitting right at the back of the bus in a J seat.

The good part. It was cosy. Seat feels more modern and luxurious. Storage was very good with areas exactly at the places you put your things like phones etc. Really like the new table that extends out from under the arm rest which can be set at various positions. The LCD screen is very much improved. The seat cushion is comfortable and in flat bed position, there is no longer the funny intrusion on the side.

97A for my trip was a mixed bag. I was on 9V-SKV which took over shuddering like a old 747, if you know what I mean. Strange as there were no shuddering in older A380s, but it was as quiet as usual after that. Weather en route was horrid with almost unrelenting turbulence until the last hour or so. Sitting at the back I was thrown left and right. The last window was covered by the shell of the seat. What a waste. The good thing was: the height of the seat seems to be higher now that light from my sole window does not seem to disturb the surrounding seats, thanks to the enveloping shells, so I can keep my window open throughout the flight, as did a gentleman in 97F.

The side panel which controls the seat lights, call buttons etc was a nightmare as some of you pointed out. I pressed the call button by accident no less than 5 times, and I had no idea how I did it. Half way into take off I found my seat extending by itself. My arm must have touched the button.

Do I miss the width of the older seats? I actually do. It lacks a certain imposing 'wow' with the older benches, although I appreciate all the improvements. And I can't sit cross legged anymore, unless I turn it into a bed. Will I avoid it? Of course not. But I supposed this is as best they can do with an already very good seat in my opinion. But I am not going out of my way for the new seats.

Those who value IFE will find much joy in the new seats.

Will be flying back to SIN in the new suites at the end of the week. Happy flying!
            I was on SQ861 in Suites on Sunday. The leather strap at the bag storage shelf under the window had already torn out of their leather screws (what do you call them) and it looked like ground crew tried a quick fix by wrapping masking tape over the torn screwholes and rescrewing the strap in. Obviously wouldn't work.

Indeed one of the key problem(s) with the new Suites is that you keep facing the person across the corridor when eating or watching TV from the seat. Doors must always be kept closed now.

The larger toilet is awesome. Even the smaller one is still a massive improvement from old Suites toilets.

The passenger in 3A was very pleased with the new Suites and told the CS that he felt like he was James Bond in his control chair.

Comment

I took sq856 this morning. I didn't find the seat/bed hard at all. In fact it's more comfortable and softer than the 2006/13 seat. The plane is also less noisy. The call button is very sensitive. Cabin crews appeared at my seat twice unintentionally.
              Indeed, these newer A380s seem to be markedly quieter than the older ones. Was in middle seats at rear J cabin and didn't keep track of plane descent and got surprised by the landing jolt. Takeoff also is quieter than many of the taxis in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                Indeed, these newer A380s seem to be markedly quieter than the older ones. Was in middle seats at rear J cabin and didn't keep track of plane descent and got surprised by the landing jolt. Takeoff also is quieter than many of the taxis in Singapore.
                the middle seats in the forward cabin would be good sleeping spots for long haul or red eye flights. If there's a double bed then it would be a bonus. I was en-route to FRA from HK through SIN and immediately, the noise level of the 777 was too loud for me!

I like the 2013 product very much but the 2017 one makes me to not like this so much.

Comment

I didn't find the seat/bed hard at all. In fact it's more comfortable and softer than the 2006/13 seat.
                  There are facts and there are alternative facts: The backrest of the new 2017 J class has zero padding/cushioning. Even the Dreamliner 2018 Biz is much superior and more comfortable.

The seat cushion of the new 2017 J class has a slowly moving memory foam so it gets comfy after some time. That doesn't change the fact that the backrest has almost no padding and for side sleepers the sleeping comfort is unacceptable by any means as your upper body including your hips are resting on the backrest when in bed mode.

Comment

There are facts and there are alternative facts: The backrest of the new 2017 J class has zero padding/cushioning. Even the Dreamliner 2018 Biz is much superior and more comfortable.

The seat cushion of the new 2017 J class has a slowly moving memory foam so it gets comfy after some time. That doesn't change the fact that the backrest has almost no padding and for side sleepers the sleeping comfort is unacceptable by any means as your upper body including your hips are resting on the backrest when in bed mode.
                    Wouldn't the contours on the bed of the 2013 seat be a bigger problem to the hip area? Practically I have to shift my body upwards by curling it in order to sleep. The fabric material doesn't help to smoothen it at all. This is not a problem in the 2017 seat.

Comment

I think you mean alternative views, not alternative facts.

Personally, I think the 2006, 2013, and 2017 are all not conducive for side sleeping. One needs a proper mattress for that. And I do not find 2013 bed surface to be significantly more comfortable than 2017 seat surface.

Comment

Came back on SQ861 and again on 9V-SKV last night in 1F. Not sure I like the overall experience. The size of the suite is really amazing. The entire section feels very private, but not so much for the seat itself. As many of you mentioned, the eating position is really silly. I felt like I was eating on the corridor when the door is opened.

I didn't really like the chair. It could be because of my height. I felt like the wall was really close to me in take off position with not a lot of leg space. My most comfortable position was to swivel it facing the other way, slightly towards the window where I can stretch out. But in that position, the chair does not allow me to recline or extend the leg rest. Apparently it can only allow recline in certain specific positions.

There are 2 screens in the suite. The smaller one is for take off/landing and the bigger ones for other times. The crew told me that switching over must be done by them and the control for that is outside the suite. This is really strange to me.

The crew gently suggested that I keep my door closed. I am used to the fact that the crew can top up my drinks etc when they walk past, most times without needing me to ask. Now I have to press the button or open the door to find somebody, or they have to knock to come in. I know it's all for privacy, but i'm not sure I prefer that over more seamless and attentive service.

The old suite was much smaller, but I find that I am positioned in a more natural direction/way when I am seated, and the seat is wider than the swivel chair. And it's nice to eat with somebody in the suite. I remembered feeling like there is hardly anybody in the old 1F because it was by the staircase and the toilets and galley was quite a distance to the back. The suites cabin space is now much smaller and the one and only aisle now seems a lot more more busy. The clanging from the galley sounds much closer too. By moving suites to the upper deck, suites passengers no longer have an exclusive door to themselves or priority at disembarking. On both trips, both suites and business class passengers disembarked together. In fact, PY passengers reached the terminal first!

I am sure the new seats provide good marketing for SQ, but I will not be too unhappy to fly in the old suites, or the older J seats for the matter over the new A380 seats.

My 2 cents. Have a good weekend all.

Comment

Came back on SQ861 and again on 9V-SKV last night in 1F. Not sure I like the overall experience. The size of the suite is really amazing. The entire section feels very private, but not so much for the seat itself. As many of you mentioned, the eating position is really silly. I felt like I was eating on the corridor when the door is opened.

I didn't really like the chair. It could be because of my height. I felt like the wall was really close to me in take off position with not a lot of leg space. My most comfortable position was to swivel it facing the other way, slightly towards the window where I can stretch out. But in that position, the chair does not allow me to recline or extend the leg rest. Apparently it can only allow recline in certain specific positions.

There are 2 screens in the suite. The smaller one is for take off/landing and the bigger ones for other times. The crew told me that switching over must be done by them and the control for that is outside the suite. This is really strange to me.

The crew gently suggested that I keep my door closed. I am used to the fact that the crew can top up my drinks etc when they walk past, most times without needing me to ask. Now I have to press the button or open the door to find somebody, or they have to knock to come in. I know it's all for privacy, but i'm not sure I prefer that over more seamless and attentive service.

The old suite was much smaller, but I find that I am positioned in a more natural direction/way when I am seated, and the seat is wider than the swivel chair. And it's nice to eat with somebody in the suite. I remembered feeling like there is hardly anybody in the old 1F because it was by the staircase and the toilets and galley was quite a distance to the back. The suites cabin space is now much smaller and the one and only aisle now seems a lot more more busy. The clanging from the galley sounds much closer too. By moving suites to the upper deck, suites passengers no longer have an exclusive door to themselves or priority at disembarking. On both trips, both suites and business class passengers disembarked together. In fact, PY passengers reached the terminal first!

I am sure the new seats provide good marketing for SQ, but I will not be too unhappy to fly in the old suites, or the older J seats for the matter over the new A380 seats.

My 2 cents. Have a good weekend all.
                          The two screens in suite setup is only for rows 1, due to the fact that in that particular suite setup you cannot see the big screen as it is behind you when chair is in landing takeoff position.

Yes, I think they only allowed recline in certain positions as if they let the passenger have free control, some positions you may well have a spatially challenged passenger reclining the chair into the wall or the side etc.

For row 1 suite, I felt leg space was still okay in the landing takeoff position. I’m 1.9m. Maybe still quite short hehe.

Comment

The two screens in suite setup is only for rows 1, due to the fact that in that particular suite setup you cannot see the big screen as it is behind you when chair is in landing takeoff position.

Yes, I think they only allowed recline in certain positions as if they let the passenger have free control, some positions you may well have a spatially challenged passenger reclining the chair into the wall or the side etc.

For row 1 suite, I felt leg space was still okay in the landing takeoff position. I’m 1.9m. Maybe still quite short hehe.
                            Ah, noted with thanks. Think I will pick 3F the next time. I am 1.9m too! I'm too fussy. haha.

Comment

Agree with your points on the switchover function between the two monitors in row 1, and the disembarkation issue.
                              I think cabin crew should ensure Suites pax can disembark first.
                              Maybe even ask if the Suites pax prefer to disembark thru Main Deck Door 1L or Upper Deck 1L?
                              That would be a nice touch.

Comment

I think you mean alternative views, not alternative facts.
                                Yes, quite.

Ah, noted with thanks. Think I will pick 3F the next time. I am 1.9m too! I'm too fussy. haha.
                                I would personally advise avoiding row 3 unless it's a 'day flight' and you have no wish or need to sleep, or there are no row 1 or 2 seats left. Those seats are just in front a large galley that covers both FCL and the forward upper JCL cabin and gets very heavy crew traffic, including their 'hang out' during down times between meal services. As a result you get the accompanying noise that comes with all that, as much as SQ crews are pretty good at knowing to keep noise to a minimum when people are trying to sleep.

It's the same reason I avoid row 19 on the A350.

Comment

Working...
                                X