EK A380 vs QR/EY 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EK A380 vs QR/EY 787

So last year we managed to get to South Africa for an epic time involving being right on Kruger but without the night time lock up.
    Flew an A380 for the first time. What a plane. Lovely and quiet and now that EK are running a two class variant, nice big toilets for those in upstairs economy in a spacious 2-4-2 arrangement.

Aiming to get back later this year, but will be with a 7 month old baby.....
    So going to be resigned to the middle seats with a bassinet no matter who with....but who is better for on-board with a baby?

anyone any experience of The Dreamliner with QR /EY in WhY? Seatmaps suggest slightly less pitch and a narrower seat than the a380, which wouldn't be good if that was the reality.....
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

I have flown on EK's A380s in Y multiple times, and less than a year ago had two flights on QR's 787s in Y. There is just no comparison in seat comfort. 9-abreast on a 787 is as bad as 10-abreast on a 777 for me. While QR's service was good, I found the 17.2 inch width to be too cramped, compared to the 18 inches on the A380. The aisles were narrow too. Haven't flown on EY's 787, but according to Seatguru, the seat pitch and width are identical to QR's 787.

I would stick with the A380, or perhaps try the A350, which has more comfortable seats in Y due to the wider cabin, even with a 9-abreast layout.

Comment

I did think we'd be looking at sticking with EK a380, looking at the planes being used for each leg and the dates in question.
      There's no a350 on the routes. Just A380s, 787s and 773s.
      Disturbingly, some the the European carriers are showing using A321s.....long haul on an old narrow body? No thank you!
      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Hi Javaman!

I agree with SQGamespeed...any 787 in 9-abreast is going to feel cramped compared to an A380 in 10-abreast (main deck) or 8-abreast (upper deck).

For your reference, a TR of a QR Dreamliner flight I took can be found here.

EK's A380 is pretty comfortable in Y. If your choice was between QR 787 and EK A380, I would go for EK's A380.

Comment

HA ! dont tell Akbar Al Baker that though ... he claims his Y is just as good as PEY !!!

“No,” said Mr. Al Baker. “We won’t roll-out premium economy… I don’t think there is any room for premium economy in our region, and of course in Qatar Airways. We give you a premium economy seat with an economy class price.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonrab.../#4c5dd410781b

Other great Al Baker Quotes reference
          http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-baker-quotes/
          Last edited by alian; 14 February 2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X