Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ Emergency and WTF with the Delhi Airport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Emergency and WTF with the Delhi Airport?

I read this in disbelief this morning. SQ's Singapore bound flight from Moscow had a bomb threat but denied to make an emergency landing in DEL because of the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/si...b-threat-56697

Delhi airport is certainly big enough for them to contain 1 distressed aircraft under a bomb threat in a remote location. Thats why WTF DEL?

Oopsss... Moderator, I just realized I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Can someone move this to the right "All About Singapore Airlines" sub forum please? Sorry.

So in the end, the 77W stop over in Kolkata till now.

The aircraft will be back in Singapore estimated tonight at 2230hours.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
      I read this in disbelief this morning. SQ's Singapore bound flight from Moscow had a bomb threat but denied to make an emergency landing in DEL because of the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/si...b-threat-56697

Delhi airport is certainly big enough for them to contain 1 distressed aircraft under a bomb threat in a remote location. Thats why WTF DEL?

Oopsss... Moderator, I just realized I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Can someone move this to the right "All About Singapore Airlines" sub forum please? Sorry.

this is how far we come .... we value some shitty sportsgames * that some people don't get scared, how it was worded* more than 250 lives. Well done India, this will picture you in the right ligt one more time.

Comment

such behavior is just incredible

Comment

This is utterly unbelievable. How in the world could an ATC facility in DEL DENIED an airliner in distress with more than 250 pax for that reason?!

This is really sad. No offense, but that behavior from ATC is simply inhuman. And since when was Singapore ever a terror threat? Very sad indeed...
          Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

I would like to sort of back up DEL, only because if there was something wrong with the aircraft then there was a possibility of a 9/11 style attack, something which Delhi could not afford at that point in time. What I don't know is why it wasnt diverted to a city like Amritsar just 35mins away, and is capable of handling such aircraft, and thus I should assume that this article is slightly dodgy

Comment

E-Aviation, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you.

Delhi's face saving should not come before the lives of 250 pax.

Comment

Diverted SIA plane arrives safely in Singapore

Diverted SIA plane arrives safely in Singapore

A Singapore Airlines flight, which was earlier diverted to Kolkata due to a security scare, has landed safely in Singapore.

SIA confirmed that flight SQ61, arrived at Changi Airport early Tuesday morning.

Public Affairs Vice-President Nicholas Ionides said the aircraft was carrying more than 220 passengers on board and all passengers received meals and accommodation in Kolkata.

Flight SQ61 was diverted to Kolkata on Monday morning due to a "security issue."

SIA has apologised for the inconvenience and sought the understanding of affected passengers that the airline would not compromise on safety and security.

According to some of the passengers on the flight, nobody panicked and everything went smoothly.

"Everyone was calm, cool, collected. They understood...The people at Singapore Airlines and the people at Calcutta airport were fine. They did their best under [a] very tiring and critical situation," a passenger said.

-CNA/ac

Taken off Channel News Asia

Comment

Something very fishy about the handling of this incident. Then again given all the recent debacles, I'm not surprised. Incredible India indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                    This is utterly unbelievable. How in the world could an ATC facility in DEL DENIED an airliner in distress with more than 250 pax for that reason?!

This is really sad. No offense, but that behavior from ATC is simply inhuman. And since when was Singapore ever a terror threat? Very sad indeed...
                    For your information, Singapore is always under terror threat.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                      Singapore is so successful now that other countries take us as a role model, so there are always oppositions & terrorists who want to attack us to make us fall.

Comment

I'm not in any way condoning the Indian government's decision, but do you not suppose that if there were a high profile event (e.g. Presidential inauguration or UN General Assembly), the US authorities would similarly keep a bomb-threat aircraft well out of Washington or New York airspace?

Comment

Notice from all the Singapore media reports (okay, I've only seen 2 of them), there was no mention of Delhi airport rejecting the plane, talk about freedom of press. They are lucky nothing happened. What if the supposed bomb explodes while the passengers are deplaning at Kolkata or enroute to Kolkata, when the passengers could have evacuated to safety if they have landed in Delhi?

Airports should have plenty of empty space to cater for a bomb explosion without too much casualties (maybe just some damages to nearby equipments?), similar to a bomb range, miles of empty space.

Well, is the ground space in an airport part of its airspace? If no, then landing the plane immediately keeps it out of its airspace relatively quickly.

Comment

A lot of armchair experts around here.....
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

If, and I say if, DEL did indeed refuse them landing due to the Commonwealth Games then that is an absolute disgrace and they should be taken to task over it.

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                              Just like almost every other country in the world...

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                              Singapore is so successful now that other countries take us as a role model, so there are always oppositions & terrorists who want to attack us to make us fall.
                              It's got nothing to do with that, there are plenty of other successful countries around the world and they all face a similar problem these days.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                              A lot of armchair experts around here.....
                              Always.

Comment

Working...
                              X