No announcement yet.

SIA brand set for major overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just few days ago we were still able to pick bassinets seats in J through the call centre, but just today it seems that call center just had a system upgrade and no one can pick bassinet seats in J now as of 31/8/2018 in J now unless you have a infant booking???

have been HUACA-ing many time and all different agents singing the same tune, anyone can give further insight on this?

just for info kefg here.. no chance at all

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
      One of the reasons the millenials prefer flying LCCs over SQ is the price. With apps to sieve out the lowest fare available, most tech savvy youngsters rarely fly SQ due to its high fares ex-SIN. SQ has always marketed itself as a premium airline and I fear changing their branding to attract this segment would do them no good.
      Agree boing. But relying on the baby boomers as the main target market may also be an issue as they head into retirement and fly less. There is, of course, a segment of BBs who will retire well and will continue to indulge in a premium airline but a larger group will probably hunt for better value like "J" seats in LCCs.

Presumably, SQ can continue to rely on commercial pax, because most will have no qualms spending company money to travel on a premium airline from J to Y.
      Last edited by CarbonMan; 31 August 2018, 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Presumably, SQ can continue to rely on commercial pax, because most will have no qualms spending company money to travel on a premium airline from J to Y.
        That's assuming employees get to make the decision. But increasingly, corporates are becoming more sophisticated at curbing travel expenses. I am traveling a lot less than my predecessor at my job used to as I'm required to consolidate several meetings into a single trip. In addition, our TA is required to provide several flight options for each booking, and I am obliged to take the cheapest one that is within x hours of my preferred travel time. It means that quite often, I am flying full service airlines other than SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Anecdotally, I observe the bulk of SQ's current customers belonging to Baby Boomers and Gen X and their dependent children, while the younger generations tend to prefer LCCs. I don't have hard numbers but this is just observations of what my nephews and nieces do, once they do not have their parents paying for their holidays.
          I am a Gen Xer. I hardly ever pay for SQ out of my pocket, even if I can afford to. And I know many of my peers who do the same. LCCs are good enough for flights under 5 hours, and there always seems to be better priced full service carriers for longer destinations.

Sometimes it is also a matter of convenience. Eg, if I want to fly on Y class to LAX or NYC, SQ is not even the airline with the shortest flight duration nor the one with the most frequency.

Comment

But LCCs are not necessarily the most value for money (or even the cheapest) though. Some places like HKG are so competitively price for full service carriers (both SQ and CX for this case), there's no need to even consider about LCCs.

Hmm I still remember paying only $88 nett for MH to Bangkok round-trip (which was a few year back)...
            Last edited by orionmiz; 31 August 2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vader View Post
              just few days ago we were still able to pick bassinets seats in J through the call centre, but just today it seems that call center just had a system upgrade and no one can pick bassinet seats in J now as of 31/8/2018 in J now unless you have a infant booking???

have been HUACA-ing many time and all different agents singing the same tune, anyone can give further insight on this?

just for info kefg here.. no chance at all

Similar problem here, although mine’s in Y class. In fact, the seat map looks almost filled up these days. Not many seats to choose from, let alone the bulkheads. Noticed this was gradually becoming the norm from a few months back.
              Not sure when this changed but I don’t like it!

(I’m referring to my SIN-HKG on 1 sept flight on 772 btw)

Comment

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                Similar problem here, although mine’s in Y class. In fact, the seat map looks almost filled up these days. Not many seats to choose from, let alone the bulkheads. Noticed this was gradually becoming the norm from a few months back.
                Not sure when this changed but I don’t like it!

(I’m referring to my SIN-HKG on 1 sept flight on 772 btw)
                The Y-Bulkheads availability hasn't changed. On the regional flights, the chargeable bulkhead seats are easily available even for last-minute bookings. I tend to book quite late and generally I have no problem reserving them. Rarely one or two are taken when I reserve them. Sat in one yesterday and Y was pretty full.
                For the specific flight you mention, it is worth to note that the school holidays are starting in Singapore which surely has an impact on seat availability on certain flights. I had no issues to reserve seats for my family and me for tomorrows flight. But I tend to book my holiday flights early.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                  One of the reasons the millenials prefer flying LCCs over SQ is the price. With apps to sieve out the lowest fare available, most tech savvy youngsters rarely fly SQ due to its high fares ex-SIN. SQ has always marketed itself as a premium airline and I fear changing their branding to attract this segment would do them no good.
                  As a millennial, I wholeheartedly agree. Although I'm keen on KF accumulating miles via credit card spending and I tend to travel on SQ when I'm with parents (on my own dime), I fly LCCs more than half the time for regional destinations when its for leisure. The biggest reason being that even while we can afford to fly SQ, we would rather save on the air tickets and spend more on the experiences at our destination. Rest assured, we know flying SQ is a well-afforded luxury and privilege and we most certainly appreciate flying SQ over LCCs!

Comment

I (an early millennial) agree that times have changed. Flying is not like in the past. It's so commonplace (for most people with an average earning), and people's expectations for what a reasonable fare is have come down (in dollar terms) for all destinations. A decade ago I would shell out $1900-2000 for a return to New York, or $400 to Hong Kong, but not anymore (maybe corporates will but even here there are pressures - my friends in banking fly LCCs sometimes). Singapore Air needs to offer the right perks like better entertainment (I find the movie lists quite tepid these days), better routings and affordable connections (I was quoted $2000 to go to Xi An via PEK), and useful conveniences (transfer tie ups?) that set the airline apart... not, dare I say, poor value facilities like Krispay. Up to this day, I still can't agree charging for seats is the right move. In fact, I was a bit pissed recently people connecting from N America through LHR were able to choose seats before my statusless travel partner (in LHR) even though they likely have no status with SQ. i had to keep reselecting my seat to ensure we could sit together

Comment

That's why SQ have a subsidiary called Scoot, to cater for the millennials.

By the way, it's odd for companies to choose LCC (unless they buy the much more expensive flex LCC tickets), because they need the tickets to be changeable and cancellable.

Comment

I’m not a pioneer, merdeka nor millennial but more so, madonna generation. Price isn’t everything to me. If it is then fly mh and pray I don’t have to recite the bible during flights or get a free stopover at alice spring. Value is highly subjective. Some will fall for tangibles while others prefer experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                          I’m not a pioneer, merdeka nor millennial but more so, madonna generation. Price isn’t everything to me. If it is then fly mh and pray I don’t have to recite the bible during flights or get a free stopover at alice spring. Value is highly subjective. Some will fall for tangibles while others prefer experience.

Where is the value in SQ charging ~S$10k for a J ticket to EU when TK, TG and LO are ~S$6k or lower on the same day when checking all at the same time and VN is ~S$3k or lower?

Going direct, avoiding an hour or two of stopover, is not worth $4-7k.

I look for value and still do take SQ to HKG on their LITE fare which, though more expensive than LLC, is still value for the flexible options, baggage etc.

On earlier sentiments...….the website is still driving me nuts. That bl@@dy spinny thing makes my head spin - we'll take you there soon.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                            That's why SQ have a subsidiary called Scoot, to cater for the millennials.

By the way, it's odd for companies to choose LCC (unless they buy the much more expensive flex LCC tickets), because they need the tickets to be changeable and cancellable.
                            There's no need to fly with TR. Many FSCs now offer value fares that make one think twice about SQ. Is the extra comfort really worth the $X differentiation? Especially when SQ is now resorting to serving Y meals from a tin foil ex-Sin, is rolling back movies (it seems), is giving cheap earbuds that keep falling off, is not stocking enough snacks for long haul (they actually do run out now), is cutting back on menu cards for regional. It goes back to the question of what the transformation office is doing

On corporate travel on LCC, it's true. It did happen and is happening. Maybe they couldn't find last minute flights (and flexibility is inconsequential at that hour)

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                              There's no need to fly with TR. Many FSCs now offer value fares that make one think twice about SQ. Is the extra comfort really worth the $X differentiation? Especially when SQ is now resorting to serving Y meals from a tin foil ex-Sin, is rolling back movies (it seems), is giving cheap earbuds that keep falling off, is not stocking enough snacks for long haul (they actually do run out now), is cutting back on menu cards for regional. It goes back to the question of what the transformation office is doing

On corporate travel on LCC, it's true. It did happen and is happening. Maybe they couldn't find last minute flights (and flexibility is inconsequential at that hour)
                              Inconsequential until someone decided to extend the meeting date because the agreement have still not been made yet, and then they realised they can't really change the date like that and have to forfeit the inflexible ticket to get a new one (worst if the meeting is extended a few more times, and you need to change ticket a few more times).

For my company, if they write-off the forfeited ticket, there will be a lot of explaining to do...

And by the way, I thought the company should have established a contract with airlines or travel agencies to provide discounts on flexible tickets?
                              Last edited by orionmiz; 5 September 2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                                Where is the value in SQ charging ~S$10k for a J ticket to EU when TK, TG and LO are ~S$6k or lower on the same day when checking all at the same time and VN is ~S$3k or lower?

Going direct, avoiding an hour or two of stopover, is not worth $4-7k.

I look for value and still do take SQ to HKG on their LITE fare which, though more expensive than LLC, is still value for the flexible options, baggage etc.

On earlier sentiments...….the website is still driving me nuts. That bl@@dy spinny thing makes my head spin - we'll take you there soon.
                                S$10k to EU? LHR/FRA/MUC is about 6 to 8k these days depending on the timing of the booking. You can't look at price alone. TK or LH is a 2-2-2 cabin and virtually no privacy. TG and VN catering are widely known to be of a lower quality than SQ. If you put everything in, that explains why they're in the $4 to 7k range.

Comment

Working...
                                X