Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be pleased or disappointed?

Just for some fun:

Until the end of 2006 I had a job for almost twenty years that took me from LHR-SYD sometimes as often as every month and rarely less than once every two months, every single journey over those years bar one was with SQ, the exception was one journey with CX which a colleague was keen to try but it did not meet the standard for me.

I loved the job and travel but in 2006 the head hunters came calling with a new opportunity that took me no where near Australia or for that matter South East Asia so although I was and obviously remain an LPPS member I haven't set foot on SQ since then and even a plan for a holiday in Aus fell away. My memories of SQ are 99% positive of the people I met and the service I was given and the product.

All is about to change and although it won't be as often in future within the month I will be routing LHR-SIN-SYD and I expect changes!

The last time T3 at Changi was barely open and the A380 was brand new. T2 at LHR was also not open but as LHR is my base I'm more than familiar with it still preferring *A options when I travel. I think SYD is the same.

My flights are I understand a new A380 on 317 and 232, an older A380 on 308 and a 77W on 288. I'll be in business class which is what I normally used in earlier times though then it was Raffles Class and Space Beds.

I've never been on a 77W ever but am familiar with the A380 from LH, AF, QR and EY. There was a suggestion I use QR or EY in my new role however luckily I'm senior enough to have insisted on my preference.

Most of my flights were obviously on the 747 with a few on the 772ERs but I'm obviously not going to see either of those types on this journey.

So fellow flyers a question to answer based on your much more up to date knowledge than mine, am I going to be pleased, surprised, shocked, delighted or disappointed with the service and product offered some twelve years later?

Although it's twelve years later I still see some familiar names here so best wishes to all.

Originally posted by lhrpete View Post
    Just for some fun:

Until the end of 2006 I had a job for almost twenty years that took me from LHR-SYD sometimes as often as every month and rarely less than once every two months, every single journey over those years bar one was with SQ, the exception was one journey with CX which a colleague was keen to try but it did not meet the standard for me.

I loved the job and travel but in 2006 the head hunters came calling with a new opportunity that took me no where near Australia or for that matter South East Asia so although I was and obviously remain an LPPS member I haven't set foot on SQ since then and even a plan for a holiday in Aus fell away. My memories of SQ are 99% positive of the people I met and the service I was given and the product.

All is about to change and although it won't be as often in future within the month I will be routing LHR-SIN-SYD and I expect changes!

The last time T3 at Changi was barely open and the A380 was brand new. T2 at LHR was also not open but as LHR is my base I'm more than familiar with it still preferring *A options when I travel. I think SYD is the same.

My flights are I understand a new A380 on 317 and 232, an older A380 on 308 and a 77W on 288. I'll be in business class which is what I normally used in earlier times though then it was Raffles Class and Space Beds.

I've never been on a 77W ever but am familiar with the A380 from LH, AF, QR and EY. There was a suggestion I use QR or EY in my new role however luckily I'm senior enough to have insisted on my preference.

Most of my flights were obviously on the 747 with a few on the 772ERs but I'm obviously not going to see either of those types on this journey.

So fellow flyers a question to answer based on your much more up to date knowledge than mine, am I going to be pleased, surprised, shocked, delighted or disappointed with the service and product offered some twelve years later?

Although it's twelve years later I still see some familiar names here so best wishes to all.
    Some things in SQ never change, despite different planes, IFS etc. So every journey is usually quite a reflective experience for me. Enjoy your trip!

Comment

In terms of equipment, I suppose, you would be delighted. The space beds were good at their time, but would not meet todays standards.

In terms of service? Not sure though. Their service had always ups and downs over the years, but generally I would say that SQ still provides a high standard. Not on every flight, though.

Comment

Hello lhrpete.

You can expect the same consistent service in Business Class as you received during the years you flew with them. Food quality remains good and in my opinion SQ is one of the airlines who put good efforts in offering improved selections, taste, and presentation.
        Being an LPP, you will find good onboard recognition from the cabin crew.
        It seems like you will get 3 types of Business Class products (2006 version on older A380, 2013 version on the 77W, and 2017 version on the new A380). It is a good trip to sample each product and see what you think. I have heard good things about the latest 2017 version. Definitely much more comfortable than SpaceBeds.
        I don’t think you will be disappointed. Welcome back onboard SQ!

Comment

Good to see you on here again, lhrpete.

As StarG has said, they are still pretty consistent in delivery of the soft product (always their strong point) and the hard product is pretty good as well, although unlike years gone by there are also a lot of others with good hard products these days so there is no longer the gap there used to be between SQ and the rest.

On a related note, as a regularly from LHR and an LPPS I am sure you know our fabulous UK PPS co-ordinator the one and only Ms M. Unfortunately she is retiring after 40 years at SQ, at the end of this week ironically enough, and I for one will be very sad to see her go as not only is she a lovely person and fabulous fun but she has helped (or rather bailed...) me out an awful lot over the years. We had a nice day with her, SQ UK Management and a few other of her 'time heavy pax' (which is one way of describing us... ) on her leaving do in London earlier this month.

Comment

Working...
          X