SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
    I think that the planes are just at the limit of their range and just cant reach FRA or even further into LHR.

There are rumors that Vistara will place a big order of narrow and wide body airplanes in the near future (CAPA reports 50 narrow and 50 wide bodies) and CAPA claims that the intention is to start Longhaul by the end of 2018. The rumor says that they may lease 787s from SQ.
    Wasn't there an instance (over a decade ago), SQ sent a 77E to FRA at the time the 77W got debuted?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      Wasn't there an instance (over a decade ago), SQ sent a 77E to FRA at the time the 77W got debuted?
      He's referring to Vistara's domestic planes. A 777-200ER would have no problem flying from DEL to FRA.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        That is distinctly possible. Unless the rule has been recently revoked, airlines based in India can only commence international flights when their total fleet exceeds 20 craft. It's a strange rule, most likely aimed at protecting AI.
        And isn't they also need to operate for at least 5 years in order to launch international route? Has this requirement been revoked?

Well whilst it is good that UK can make use of some SQ B777-200ER to launch Europe route, I just wondering whether SQ/MI should also hand over some routes to UK once UK can operate international flights? I think running a flight with Indian crew could be cheaper than a flight ran by Singaporean crew, thus more profitable to the parent company?

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
          And isn't they also need to operate for at least 5 years in order to launch international route? Has this requirement been revoked?

Well whilst it is good that UK can make use of some SQ B777-200ER to launch Europe route, I just wondering whether SQ/MI should also hand over some routes to UK once UK can operate international flights? I think running a flight with Indian crew could be cheaper than a flight ran by Singaporean crew, thus more profitable to the parent company?
          Well, Vistara is a JV so they will extract just 50% of the profit made there. Secondly the tax system in India is complex and the profit in India would attract also higher taxes if you compare that to SIN.

Comment

• Indeed I was referring to the A320s. Generally I would not see the benefit of using the Domestic configured A320 on European routes. The hard product is not designed for longhaul routes and there is enough competition offering much better hardware on the European routes.

Vistara will have anyway quite some competition if they would enter the European market. I think they should rather start with flights into Asia (BKK, HKG, China, maybe even OZ).

Comment

Indeed I was referring to the A320s. Generally I would not see the benefit of using the Domestic configured A320 on European routes. The hard product is not designed for longhaul routes and there is enough competition offering much better hardware on the European routes.

Vistara will have anyway quite some competition if they would enter the European market. I think they should rather start with flights into Asia (BKK, HKG, China, maybe even OZ).
              Very true on many points. I think flights to Australia would be incredibly popular, however that also would run the risk of taking business off SQ. A significant proportion of the growth in flights to SYD and MEL has been due to passengers connecting from India, although at the point where other airlines might ramp up direct flights, at least UK is ready and waiting to compete on behalf of SQ.

Comment

• 9V-SVD is out on an air-test as SQ8877.
                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• 9V-SVA was flown to VCV for long term storage on 12 June 2017. She spent most of her time for past two years in storage at Alice Spring ASP (Dec 2015 till Dec 2016) after her lease with Royal Brunei (V8-BLC) ended.

She was flown back to Singapore in Jan 2017 for heavy maintenance check before leaving again for ASP in Feb 2017. She did air test on 30 May 2017 as SQ8877 2hr 43 mins, before her official retirement to USA.

A side note: Since her return from Royal Brunei in May 2014, she never return to SQ service and was never repainted into SQ livery, rather sitting at SIN and ASP in all white livery, with hints of RBA's livery.

Meanwhile, VIM Avia picked up ex-SQ and TZ 9V-SQH/9V-OTE now registered as N394BC. The only ex-TZ B772ER to survive from scrapping.

Comment

• Why would they do "heavy maintenance" on an aircraft before scrapping it?
                    Referring to SVA

Meanwhile I was thinking, which other aircraft are in line to fill in for the 772Rs? Can't really picture the A350s doing those regional routes given their smaller economy capacity. And most of the a330s go back to lessors in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps a regional version of 350?

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                      Why would they do "heavy maintenance" on an aircraft before scrapping it?
                      Referring to SVA

Meanwhile I was thinking, which other aircraft are in line to fill in for the 772Rs? Can't really picture the A350s doing those regional routes given their smaller economy capacity. And most of the a330s go back to lessors in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps a regional version of 350?
                      SVA was sent to VCV for storage, not scrapping. Perhaps the maintenance was also to ensure that she could complete the 15 hour nonstop flight.

There is supposed to be a regional version of the A350, but not sure when the first of that variant will be delivered. Perhaps they will wait for the B787-10, which will be used for regional routes up to 8 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                        SVA was sent to VCV for storage, not scrapping. Perhaps the maintenance was also to ensure that she could complete the 15 hour nonstop flight.

There is supposed to be a regional version of the A350, but not sure when the first of that variant will be delivered. Perhaps they will wait for the B787-10, which will be used for regional routes up to 8 hours.
                        IIRC, the first regional A350 should be after the 20th A350 has been delivered. The regional A350s will replace the current A330s on regional short and medium haul routes, like BKK, SGN, MNL, while the long haul A350s will replace the 772ER on thinner but long haul routes, like AMS, MAN.

The 787-10 will replace the 777-300 on high load medium haul routes, like PEK, PVG, while the 777-9X will replace the 777-300ER on high load long haul routes, like LHR, LAX.

Comment

I think that the planes are just at the limit of their range and just cant reach FRA or even further into LHR.

There are rumors that Vistara will place a big order of narrow and wide body airplanes in the near future (CAPA reports 50 narrow and 50 wide bodies) and CAPA claims that the intention is to start Longhaul by the end of 2018. The rumor says that they may lease 787s from SQ.
                          I read an article in Australian media today talking about Vistara policies for solo female flyers. In it they also mentioned that while Vistara currently flies only A320s, they have advertised to recruit pilots to fly Boeing aircraft for long haul destinations. Unfortunately they didn't specify 777 or 787.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
                            IIRC, the first regional A350 should be after the 20th A350 has been delivered. The regional A350s will replace the current A330s on regional short and medium haul routes, like BKK, SGN, MNL, while the long haul A350s will replace the 772ER on thinner but long haul routes, like AMS, MAN.

The 787-10 will replace the 777-300 on high load medium haul routes, like PEK, PVG, while the 777-9X will replace the 777-300ER on high load long haul routes, like LHR, LAX.
                            Nice. I definitely am looking forward to the new 777-9X but does anyone know if that has the range to fly SIN-SFO/LAX/JFK nonstop or not? It is definitely a great replacement for thicker long haul routes like LHR, LAX, SFO, JFK, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              Nice. I definitely am looking forward to the new 777-9X but does anyone know if that has the range to fly SIN-SFO/LAX/JFK nonstop or not? It is definitely a great replacement for thicker long haul routes like LHR, LAX, SFO, JFK, etc.
                              It will not make it to LAX or JFK from SIN. I doubt SFO would work unless SQ goes for a very low density configuration which is highly unlikely. Who knows, SQ might go 3-4-3 in Economy with the 777-9.

Comment

• Who knows, SQ might go 3-4-3 in Economy with the 777-9.
                                I would bet my car that they will. The 777X series have a wide fuselage specifically for 3-4-3

Comment

Working...
                                X