A380plus: Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380plus: Yay or nay?

Hi all i'm sorry i'm not sure where to put this. If it needs to be moved please move it. But anyway, i was surfing YouTube and stumbled across this from Airbus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmf8YBigM1Y

My thoughts are that it looks and sounds cool enough, but 11 abreast economy is just yucks. Wonder which airlines will go for it.....there must have been some interest for Airbus to even invest in concepting it. Or will this be an all-Emirates venture?

Airlines don't have to go for high density, they can just enjoy 4% less fuel burn for the given config. This might be the only way to attract any new orders but will make the old A380 unsellable for sure.

Comment

As has been pointed out on other threads before, more seats = more seats to sell. Great for holiday weeks in Japan. Not so great for February or November. I also question the sheer ability for airports, checkins, gate lounges and on board catering to actually manage an additional 30+ passengers with even less space to do so. Would be sheer hell to be cabin crew with a 3-5-3 layout.

We were also told at the dawn of the A380 that an all-Y config could get over 800 passengers squeezed in. Still waiting to see what that joy would look like and what such an airline would do during a tech failure with their 800+ delayed passengers...

Comment

I'll be surprised if this goes anywhere.

Comment

The A380 was an aircraft designed in the 90s, for the 90s. The commercial aviation market has changed alot, especially for the Eastern Asian region. SE Asian carriers like TG and MH,and to a certain extent SQ, which ordered the aircraft in the 90s and early 2000s are struggling to make the aircraft work in the current aviation landscape.
          If Airbus had continued with the freighter version of the aircraft, I believe the A380s could have had an afterlife as converted freighters after ending their pax operations. Some carriers are struggling to offload these giants now, reducing their attractiveness for airlines.
          As much as I marvel at it for its sheer size, I believe Airbus are flogging a dead horse.

Comment

Might be improvements demanded by EK for their existing order?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              Might be improvements demanded by EK for their existing order?
              I think you may be right. If they can't get EK to buy them, it's game over.

Comment

emirates will buy them for sure!the big difference however this time is the asian carriers might not be so keen on them.I am only hopeful about sq ,no one else is likely to buy

Comment

Working...
                X