Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIA A380 Premium Economy from Beijing to Singapore on SQ807 - "To Bid or Not to Bid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Excellent TR, as usual. ]
    Thanks, HUGE AL!

If you paid for a preferred seat, then bid successfully for PEY, is your preferred seat fee applied to the bid?
    Hmmm...good question. I suspect the two services are not linked. I would be very impressed with SQ's IT systems if this were so!

Was there a reason you didn't BTC?
    Yes there was. I would have wanted to BTC the chicken rice just to try it, but this wasn't available out of PEK...

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      Hello yflyer!

Excellent TR. I had fun reading it.
      Thanks, pokfur!

Was PEY lightly loaded? On mine I was treated like any other Y pax. Nowadays it's really not difficult to put a manifest on the trolley and refer to it before addressing passengers (I can see the crew doing it in J anyway... )
      Yes, this was a mid-week flight, so PEY load was about 1/3. When it comes to cabin service, I think a lot does depend on the individual crewmembers or IFS / lead (Although SQ seems more consistent than most other airlines in that respect.).

On my flight, the cabin service was really superb. Among other things, I was addressed by name throughout the flight without referring to a manifest. I'm planning to send in a compliment via SQ's website. Probably easier to provide outstanding service if the flight is not full, but at least for this team of cabin crew my impression is that their attitude was such that they would do a good job on a full flight too...

Speaking of champagne...
      Champagne wasn't even loaded on the trolley, and I think the stewardess served the entire Y cabin before returning back to me. It's as if SQ wanted to "hide" it and not offer it if possible. Again, a totally different experience from yours.
      Yes, that is the reverse of what I experienced. They cabin crew started with the champagne right away, with the champagne bottle on full display on the cart.

At this point, I would still choose to fly BA on an European flight because they offer better food in my opinion. If SQ copies BA and provides a J main dish, and really provides that sort of personalized service like you experienced, I think their product would definitely be superior to the competition since the hard product is already considered top notch.
      BA PEY and SQ PEY look quite evenly matched as far as the seat is concerned. I do agree that BA's food may have a slight edge because of the J main course they offer for the 1st meal service. Not a good week for BA this week, though, with their global IT outage still affecting flight operations.
      Last edited by yflyer; 30 May 2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        Finally, back to the question: To Bid or Not to Bid?

For me, based on this week's experience, I would definitely want to bid for PEY using "mySQupgrade" on future flights.

I would likely bid for all flights 5 hours or longer. I would bid low for 5 or 6 hour sectors, but would bid more aggressively for red-eyes and long haul flights.

Is PEY necessary for a 6 hour sector? While I would much prefer PEY to Y on a longhaul sector, I view PEY on a medium haul non red-eye flight to be something close to a luxury. I would bid, but I would not be willing to pay that much of a premium. That said, the bid range on SQ's mySQupgrade for my PEK-SIN sector looked quite reasonable.

Would I ever place a high bid for PEY? Perhaps on a long SIN-LHR or SIN-Europe/SIN-USA sector. I would also have more incentive to make higher bids if SQ would enhance the catering options in PEY to be more inline with what other carriers are offering i.e. enhanced mains and other dishes, and real glassware.

What kind of flights represent good value? I think off-peak or mid-week flights, like SQ807 would be a good example of this...if a flight is lightly loaded, I suspect there is a higher probability of a low bid being accepted, and that is exactly what happened on my flight.
        Excellent analysis, yflyer! I can't agree more. As it stands, the price of PEY of around 2.5x of Y is unreasonable. Do I get twice the space, the quality of food? The answer is no, of course, but that's thinking process of price/value sensitive flyers (ahem, yours truly). But I like the way SQ has given us the opportunity to name our price.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Excellent analysis, yflyer! I can't agree more. As it stands, the price of PEY of around 2.5x of Y is unreasonable. Do I get twice the space, the quality of food? The answer is no, of course, but that's thinking process of price/value sensitive flyers (ahem, yours truly). But I like the way SQ has given us the opportunity to name our price.
          Thanks, CarbonMan!

Price/value is definitely a big part of the equation (Count me included as well in that category!), and not just for personal travel. An increasing number of corporates are also tightening travel policy.

For SQ PEY, while the standard prices are on the high side, there are some good deals out there, and occasionally I have found discount PEY fares priced cheaper than the more expensive Y fare classes. There was one trip booking I made to DEL (Eventually had to cancel) where a discount PEY fare was actually the cheapest option since the heavily discounted Y fares were all sold out.

Agree that it is great to have the opportunity to "name our price" for PEY!

Comment

Hmmm...good question. I suspect the two services are not linked. I would be very impressed with SQ's IT systems if this were so!
            Yeah, I figured. It IS a Singaporean airline, after all... LOL

Yes there was. I would have wanted to BTC the chicken rice just to try it, but this wasn't available out of PEK...
            The Beef Bourguignon Penne Pasta doesn't sound horrible.
            HUGE AL

Comment

The Beef Bourguignon Penne Pasta doesn't sound horrible.
              That was one of the more interesting options out of Beijing!

If I was flying out on a breakfast flight on PEY, I would have picked Szechuan Style Beef with Fried Rice Noodles (only available for Breakfast)...wonder why they don't have this for lunch or dinner too. Sounds like a perfect dish for those meal times too.
              Last edited by yflyer; 2 June 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Wonderful trip report! Thanks for posting. The SQ Y product is already industry leading, so the Y+ cabin has to really stand out. IMO, the hardware is pretty great (except the orange trim which is a small quibble), as is the addressed-by-name service, but I agree that the cuisine could be improved. Euro-style J meals for one of the services sounds like a good idea. Another option, like what BR has done, is to offer an extra appetizer dish on the tray, plus use better crockery.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratoliner777 View Post
                  Wonderful trip report! Thanks for posting. The SQ Y product is already industry leading, so the Y+ cabin has to really stand out. IMO, the hardware is pretty great (except the orange trim which is a small quibble), as is the addressed-by-name service, but I agree that the cuisine could be improved. Euro-style J meals for one of the services sounds like a good idea.
                  Thanks, Stratoliner777! So many ways to enhance the PEY dining experience on SQ. I hope they make changes sooner rather than later!

Originally posted by Stratoliner777 View Post
                  Another option, like what BR has done, is to offer an extra appetizer dish on the tray, plus use better crockery.
                  An extra appetizer...that is an interesting idea! I've not had the opportunity to fly BR yet. Would not mind trying their PEY if the price was right.

Comment

Working...
                  X