No announcement yet.

The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know when the cabins will be revealed?
    Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
      Does anyone know when the cabins will be revealed?
      When the seats supplier solves their production issues, that's when SIA will unveil the new cabin. As of now, it seems a long way away.

Comment

Hope they make the October launch. It'll be quite something if they can launch the new A380s on the 10th anniversary of the 1st commercial flight.

Comment

Originally posted by 76er View Post
          Hope they make the October launch. It'll be quite something if they can launch the new A380s on the 10th anniversary of the 1st commercial flight.
          Is it going to happen on 25th October 2017, on the 10th anniversary of first SQ380? I check SQ221 still has the old config, layout 1.

Comment

Does seem to me that they are trying.
            Fingers crossed!
            https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...ney-in-october

Comment

We're hearing of a media preview before October.

Comment

There is some whispers about Chubby hole style seats being a thing of the past and the return of the amenity kit on the new J cabin revamp. Apparently management doesn't see the need to distribute amenity kits and cabin services wants to use the kits as a marketing tool to promote awareness of the cabin product. We shall see how this works out!

Comment

Is it likely that the seats will be revealed in September or is it too soon?
                  Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

Interesting thread but I don't see what everybody is focusing on Suite and Business and forgets to talk about Economy. I think that the new released Economy product will be one of the most interesting ones and this is also one of the most important ones for SQ to compete with other airlines. Most are persuaded that SQ will not follow Emirates or Etihad by including shower and bars in the A380. The new A380 Business is likely to be similar to the current A350 product which is mostly appreciated. As for the Economy class, it is likely to look like the new 777-300's with some additional touches. Inflight entertainment system will definitely see some changes. SQ's A380 has overall proven successful amongst reviewers but the main disappointment concerns the absence of outside cameras: SQ definitely loses points in that, none of their aircrafts have integrated cameras while all other A380 major airlines have. Maybe will this be added?

Comment

Originally posted by r123 View Post
                      Interesting thread but I don't see what everybody is focusing on Suite and Business
                      The reason for that is because most people on this forum fly in those classes. I haven't flow in SQ economy since 2012.

Comment

Interesting thread but I don't see what everybody is focusing on Suite and Business and forgets to talk about Economy.
                        Not everyone...

I think that the new released Economy product will be one of the most interesting ones and this is also one of the most important ones for SQ to compete with other airlines.
                        I am following the different iterations of SQ's Y very closely, as well as those of other carriers like Emirates (EK already has 3 generations of their A380 Y seat).

SQ's Y seat has been progressively improved over the years. The latest gen Y on SQ's 77WN/77WR and A350 are some of the most comfortable Y seats out there.

That said, for Y, we may be approaching the point of diminishing returns, or even a step backwards. For example, the 9-abreast 787 economy cabin. 3-3-3 on a Dreamliner is a reasonable product for LCC"s, but doesn't cut it for a full service carrier. And let us not forget CX's well intentioned, but ultimately ill-conceived, experiment with hard shell Y seats.

The cabin space per pax has not changed on the A380, so I wonder what SQ could do to further enhance the Y hard product, which is already industry leading (Unless you are on a pioneer generation 777 to Manila or Bangkok ).

But I would love to be pleasantly surprised by what SQ's A380 Y will offer.

Looking into the admittedly foggy crystal ball, what could be in store for SQ's new A380 Y...

- A bigger screen would be a no brainer.

- Maybe asymmetric headrests like Etihad's A380?

- Maybe a few rows with sleeper couches like Air New Zealand's skycouch?

The new A380 Business is likely to be similar to the current A350 product which is mostly appreciated.
                        I personally like SQ's current A380 J seats, as well as the improved 2013 version on the 77WN and A350, and on the whole these seats have had good reviews.

But I would be disappointed if the new A380 seat is just a slightly updated version of the 2013 J seat.

SQ's 2013 J on 77WN and A350 do have some detractors too. Many folks don't like to get up to fold the bed from seat to bed mode. And if you are very tall, the footwell may not be long enough (Esp on the shorter A350 version).

I fly J very rarely so any time I am in business it is a treat. BA J to me is great, but many folks don't like the narrowness and forward/backward layout. QF A380 J has long beds, but is 2-2-2, with no aisle access for window seat pax.

The J seat which seems to be most universally liked are the Cirrus seats on CX and many other airlines, as well as the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond, on QR. These provide good space/width as well as automated recline to a long fully flat bed.

In terms of innovation, Etihad's A380 J and F looks amazing and QR's Q-suite is probably the most impressive in a long while, and my hope is that SQ can top both EY and QR, which seem to be leading the pack as far as premium cabin innovation is concerned.

SQ's A380 has overall proven successful amongst reviewers but the main disappointment concerns the absence of outside cameras: SQ definitely loses points in that, none of their aircrafts have integrated cameras while all other A380 major airlines have. Maybe will this be added?
                        I dunno about that...I suspect only a very small segment of the travelling population is interested in outside view cameras (Probably an even smaller percentage are interested in UA Channel 9). I personally like the camera views and leave them on for extended periods when I fly airlines which have them, and the new HD cameras on A350's are great, but so far SQ doesn't seem to see cameras as a priority.
                        Last edited by yflyer; 27 August 2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Are we actually expecting a new Y seat with the A380? If we are, I'm probably not expecting a lot more than a slight variant to the 77W/359. I think SQ has decided if you want anything better than that, please select PEY.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            Are we actually expecting a new Y seat with the A380?
                            I think the new seats on the A380 have been announced as the Recaro CL3710s. So they won't be the same as what is currently on the 77W/A350 fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                              I think the new seats on the A380 have been announced as the Recaro CL3710s. So they won't be the same as what is currently on the 77W/A350 fleet.
                              Thanks, a340-313x. I didn't know that. I googled the model number you provided and found the press release:

https://en.recaro-as.com/press/press...nomy-seat.html

Let's see if it can top the current SQ 77WN economy class seat, which is superb.

Comment

Are we actually expecting a new Y seat with the A380?
                                I would have been happy with an update, but as A340-313x has said, this is an entirely new frame.

But I do agree that it is F/R and J that need a complete revamp to stay competitive, not Y.

I think SQ has decided if you want anything better than that, please select PEY.
                                Even for A380 PEY, if you look at what the competition now offers (CX A350 PEY for example), it might be worth updating that too, although SQ's PEY product is quite new.

But then, the main improvement SQ needs in their current PEY is more differentiated catering.

Comment

Working...
                                X