Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which seat to choose in J class on A350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had 2 flights on the A350 in J. Anything but Row 18 will be my advice. The proximity to the galley and toilets is going to be bothersome me thinks.

K

Comment

Originally posted by KFly View Post
      ...bothersome
      Someone has been reading seatguru...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Someone has been reading seatguru...
        Oh? Is it the wording I used? I didn't know "bothersome" is exclusive to seatguru. Or do you disagree that Row 18 is a bad seat due to the proximity to the galley and toilets?

Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken in my own experience

K

Comment

Originally posted by KFly View Post
          Oh? Is it the wording I used? I didn't know "bothersome" is exclusive to seatguru. Or do you disagree that Row 18 is a bad seat due to the proximity to the galley and toilets?

Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken in my own experience

K
          Yes, it's quite funny!

All Seatguru's automatically generated warnings usually use the words "proximity" and "bothersome". But you added a Shakespearean touch, although to be pedantic "methinks" is actually one word!

Comment

I just had to re-read the thread topic again to make sure I didn't post to a wrong thread, but I think I'm good... phew!

Comment

I will likely get flamed massively by the Airbus fanboys for what I am about to post. So, deep breath and here goes:

Just off my first A359 flight (HKG-SIN) and, to be frank, I was underwhelmed.

The cabin is noticeably smaller and narrower than the 77W. The seats, most obviously in row 11 but actually throughout the cabin, have been narrowed to be able to fit the A350 cross-section. Take a closer look at the area to the side of the screen (the drink holder and sliding cubbyhole and the difference from the 77W will be obvious. When turned into a bed, the footwell is so narrow that you have to have ballet toes to fit it in.

The aisles are quite a bit narrower, which means that the seats get banged and grabbed anytime someone walks by. This can disturb sleeping passengers.

The J galley area is totally congested, as it is half the size of the 77W and yet needs to serve a similar number of passengers. As a result, the crew is harried and constantly running into each other. The IFS told me that cabin crews are finding it very difficult to carry out their duties efficiently as a result.

The lavatories are very small, with inward-sloping walls and very little space. I kept banging my head against the cabin wall as I turned to use the sink. I am not a giant but I felt like I was in a tiny, cramped closet.

I was shocked to see just how small the economy section is -- on routes where the A359 replaces a 77W (e.g. SFO), this will represent a substantial reduction in capacity. I wonder what effect that will have on overall prices and availability.

Overall, I struggled to understand the excitement over this aircraft. It felt like an A330 with better overhead bins. At least the 787 has the polarised windows! The "XWB" silliness was and is nothing more than marketing B.S. Really not looking forward to my SIN-SFO nonstop next month.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrab955 View Post
                I will likely get flamed massively by the Airbus fanboys for what I am about to post. So, deep breath and here goes:

The cabin is noticeably smaller and narrower than the 77W. The seats, most obviously in row 11 but actually throughout the cabin, have been narrowed to be able to fit the A350 cross-section. Take a closer look at the area to the side of the screen (the drink holder and sliding cubbyhole and the difference from the 77W will be obvious. When turned into a bed, the footwell is so narrow that you have to have ballet toes to fit it in.

The aisles are quite a bit narrower, which means that the seats get banged and grabbed anytime someone walks by. This can disturb sleeping passengers.

The J galley area is totally congested, as it is half the size of the 77W and yet needs to serve a similar number of passengers. As a result, the crew is harried and constantly running into each other. The IFS told me that cabin crews are finding it very difficult to carry out their duties efficiently as a result.

The lavatories are very small, with inward-sloping walls and very little space. I kept banging my head against the cabin wall as I turned to use the sink. I am not a giant but I felt like I was in a tiny, cramped closet.

I was shocked to see just how small the economy section is -- on routes where the A359 replaces a 77W (e.g. SFO), this will represent a substantial reduction in capacity. I wonder what effect that will have on overall prices and availability.

Overall, I struggled to understand the excitement over this aircraft. It felt like an A330 with better overhead bins. At least the 787 has the polarised windows! The "XWB" silliness was and is nothing more than marketing B.S. Really not looking forward to my SIN-SFO nonstop next month.
                In a world where many airlines are putting 10-abreast on 77Ws, no surprise that SQ is following a similar vein by buying and outfitting its A350s as such. Its to become the new backbone of the fleet (67 planes!), much like how the 772s were a decade ago.

I myself am a huge fan of the 77W but i also have to admit that we've been thoroughly spoilt by SQ all these years.

We can only hope that SQ decides to order 777-8s or 777-9s (most likely the latter to replace the 77Ws), but even so the number will definitely be less than the number of A350s ordered, so fewer routes will feature them. And even so, the new 777s are designed for 10-abreast in Y, so only J passengers really benefit. The rest of us will just have to tahan, i guess.

Comment

Crazycrab955 I totally agree. I did post similar sentiments on my a350 experience. It's not bad but it's not something to rave about. Everything is smaller in my perspective so 77W is still my preference or A380.

But one benefit is the ambient pressure that is something I note the a350 is better. The real benefit I guess is the airline with better fuel efficiency this relates to better profits

Comment

Agree with you on the narrow aisle and small lavatory.
                    I think the lavatory is not well designed as well - no 'design' feel at all.
                    Don't know why the step to open the trash bin is missing.

I don't really like those electronic window shades on 787s though. They don't totally block sun light, bothersome when I try to manage my sleeptime to avoid jetlag.

The A350 is a very beautiful aircraft. The interior is functional but yes it feels slightly more cramped than 77W's.

Comment

Another points as a few have noted the toilets are smaller. In the first lav in J in the front is so small there is not space for the amenities drawer the last flight I took I notice they had to put the usual amenities in a cup.

First world problems but does reflect some limitations of the a350 and why I prefer the 777Ws. I really keen to find out how SQ 787 will be configured.

Comment

Row 11 perspective?

Originally posted by alian View Post

People have noted row 11 while bulkhead is not good due to plane curvature. I'm on 11k in Sep so I'll share my views and pic after that trip.

Alian, I might have missed this but what was your take on 11K in the A350?

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                          Alian, I might have missed this but what was your take on 11K in the A350?
                          Sorry I forgot to feedback. I swapped the seat with my mom as she wanted to go HK. But I did I get see it. There is a mild curvature but it's not as bad as one would think and overall still better than the rest except row 19.

Still a lot of foot space compared to the non bulkheads. I still reckon it's one of the better seats so grab one if you can but try your luck on row 19 at check in

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                            Sorry I forgot to feedback. I swapped the seat with my mom as she wanted to go HK. But I did I get see it. There is a mild curvature but it's not as bad as one would think and overall still better than the rest except row 19.

Still a lot of foot space compared to the non bulkheads. I still reckon it's one of the better seats so grab one if you can but try your luck on row 19 at check in
                            Thanks Alian!

Comment

Seat of A359 is similar to 77WN, but the overall cabin seems to be narrower, I tried 19DF from HKG - SIN.

I am going to try A359 on SQ32 just to test my endurance ;-)) , but hard to redeem, so i might stick to SQ2 on 77WN 11DF (mini F), which I really like, so I don't mind flying SQ2 and miss SQ32...

Comment

At the end if the day, the economics of the plane is the biggest cost factor and what matters most to airlines- any airline, contrary to what they may claim.

With the 77W, SQ virtually did not expand at all for 6 years. Then the 350s came in and SQ added 5 new routes within its first year in service (counting SFO non-stop as one). Clearly the 350 has better economics for them.

Does one really need all that space anyway? In the 77W J both 2007 and 2013 versions, I need extra cushions to fill the empty space in the seats.. Two of me can fit comfortably in there!

Comment

Working...
                                X