Start of another round of cost-cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedEyeflight View Post
    For flights under 4 hours, in Y do away with hot towels, pillows and blankets (have to be requested, this is already MI policy), menu cards, and maybe even full meals on BKK, CGK, DPS.
    CGK doesn't even get a full meal in Y, just a main and fruits. I don't think SE Asian flights get menus at the back of the bus either.

It's a slippery slope, and there's not a whole lot more they can cut without stooping to European/North American standards.

Comment

Recently in J I noticed they changed the Philtek Headphones to a SIA OEM headset

I actually find them comfortable and one feature I like is the volume control on the side which i can adjust easily

Not sure if this is a cost cutting items but it is a change. Anyone knows where they are from?
      Last edited by alian; 27 June 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Just got off a flight with the new headphones in jcl as well. According to the crew, the headphones are from Hitachi.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
          Recently in J I noticed they changed the Philtek Headphones to a SIA OEM headset

I actually find them comfortable and one feature I like is the volume control on the side which i can adjust easily

Not sure if this is a cost cutting items but it is a change. Anyone knows where they are from?
          Thanks, didn't notice the volume control! I agree that these are more comfy, as they fit over the ear better. The Phitek's ear pads were too small, couldn't leave them on for more than an hour or so without pinching.

Comment

I just flew on SQ801 PEK-SIN. The mixed nuts, hot towel, menu and bread roll with strawberry jam were still available in Y class. However, the return flight SQ 806 didn't provide any jam.

Comment

Originally posted by heninkk View Post
              I just flew on SQ801 PEK-SIN. The mixed nuts, hot towel, menu and bread roll with strawberry jam were still available in Y class. However, the return flight SQ 806 didn't provide any jam.
              Because jam is only provided for breakfast, and not lunch/dinner in economy.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                CGK doesn't even get a full meal in Y, just a main and fruits. I don't think SE Asian flights get menus at the back of the bus either.

It's a slippery slope, and there's not a whole lot more they can cut without stooping to European/North American standards.
                That's a shame. It used to be only that KUL flights get no menus/meals (cos there's no need for one). Last year, I flew SIN-SUB and there was a full meal and a menu.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHnkPD4sks

Noticed in 2:54 of the video that SQ has introduced disposable casserole in the PY cabin on certain sectors. Have not seen similar casseroles in Y yet; but if it is good enough for PY, I am sure it is good enough for Y.

Based on the video, it looks like the casseroles warp when heated, or is it simply designed this way?
                  Last edited by icn.sg; 25 September 2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Did HKG sector in Business Class this week.

1. No satay service (noon and evening flight).
                    2. Nuts served in packets and no longer in small warm bowl.
                    3. No table cloth (777-300ER - not A330) used in dining service.
                    4. No provision of slippers / socks - had to request.
                    5. No refill of champagne. Had to request 2x before they do so.
                    6. No selection of cheese. Its pre-plated.
                    7. Bread rolls are cold.

Not sure if I have gotten a lousy set of crew or its a round of cost cutting measures.

Comment

• Originally posted by humgen View Post

7. Bread rolls are cold.

Not sure if I have gotten a lousy set of crew or its a round of cost cutting measures.
                      Perhaps it's just the crew? Did you write in to get some feedback from them? These were my recollections based on the photos I took from the food service from my recent travels to ICN, NRT/HND and BKK in early Sept.

1. Served only on my return flight from HND.
                      2. Served on both legs of ICN and NRT/HND. In fact the crew on my trip from SIN-ICN were so attentive to my empty bowl, that they kept topping the bowl up with nuts.
                      3. ICN, NRT/HND had table cloth laid out, BKK no, since it is probably a regional service and the food was served on a tray.
                      4. Got the slippers, not sure about socks as I do not use them.
                      5. Got mine refilled when they went around during the drink service.
                      6. Don't remember the cheese part, but I got to choose my fruits from the fruit basket. IIRC, the fruit basket comes with the cheese cart right?
                      7. The rolls I chose were warm.

Comment

7. Bread rolls are cold.

I'm not aware of any HKG flights that get satay. As for the other complaints, you probably just got a bad set of crew.

Comment

7. Bread rolls are cold.

Hi. Never had satay even in Suites for the past few years to and fro HKG. I noticed that Business on A380 and B777-300ER have some differences. A380 use stemless wine glasses and may have nuts on bowl. B777-300ER gave nuts packets and stemmed glasses. Sometimes I get socks, sometimes I get slippers or even shades. Seems to vary. Sometimes desert and cheese came on a trolley, sometimes it is plated, and more variation depending if it is brunch, lunch or dinner. The crew told me that dinner is usually the most elaborate. Service is usually very good, but not always. Still remembered one time when the bread basket came during dinner service, and I really wanted a croissant, so I asked if there were any. "That one only for breakfast. Eat garlic bread!" an elderly uncle huffed. I was amused and agreed and it was quite nice. LOL.

Comment

7. Bread rolls are cold.

2. Don't remember them ever being in a warm bowl, except in first class.
                            4. Are slippers/socks supposed to be distributed for the short HKG flight? Have they ever been?
                            5. Don't think this is cost cutting, more like inattentiveness.
                            6. Cheese platter on HKG flight (and other relatively short regional flights) are plated, rather than served by trolley. This isn't new.
                            7. Again, sounds like inattentiveness, coz there is no cost saving from not heating up bread.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post

Dunno what you are talking about my friend. CGK Y gets a full meal: Main with protein, starch and veg, bread roll, orange juice and dessert. And that's just what's on the tray.

Comment

• Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                                Dunno what you are talking about my friend. CGK Y gets a full meal: Main with protein, starch and veg, bread roll, orange juice and dessert. And that's just what's on the tray.
                                A full meal without an appetiser?

Comment

Working...
                                X