Confirmed : SIN-MAN-IAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
    This excludes SIN-IAH traffic (unsure from your post if you'd picked that up and I didn't explain). You can probably assume SIN-IAH traffic in the 30-35% LF range (otherwise why bother with IAH at all) which takes MAN-SIN up to the mid/high 90% and MAN-IAH to 65-70% which I inderstand is about where it's been.

I agree it shows a big disparity between the two sectors, the question is can MAN-SIN traffic sustain a daily tag to IAH or can MAN-SIN capacity be added is some other way?
    It suffers from the same situation as SIN-FRA/FRA-JFK. I'm not sure there's much hope of ever getting even traffic levels on either of those flights. Are there any tagged flights that do? LAX perhaps?

Comment

• Was just trying to book SIN - MAN - IAH, Sunday departure. Interestingly, the economy fares were all available, including Economy Saver. However business class was sold out. Interesting, trying to book SIN - MAN or MAN - IAH, seats are still available.

So the said yield should be of the whole aircraft by number of seats? Perhaps the premium sector is sufficient to sustain the route, without having to fill the economy cabin?

Comment

This excludes SIN-IAH traffic (unsure from your post if you'd picked that up and I didn't explain). You can probably assume SIN-IAH traffic in the 30-35% LF range (otherwise why bother with IAH at all) which takes MAN-SIN up to the mid/high 90% and MAN-IAH to 65-70% which I inderstand is about where it's been.
        Thanks for clarifying, was not clear to me that the figures exclude the direct traffic between IAH to SIN. Beyond 80% load to me should be sustainable.

Comment

• Yes - it's the MAN-IAH sector that needs the work. Big price discrepancy between the sectors tells much. Let's see what the next few months brings...

Comment

• To pick up on this, the SIN-MAN loads remained static in March (165 per sector - remember this does not include SIN-IAH traffic) whilst MAN-IAH loads increased to 107 per sector (this also does not include SIN-IAH traffic, and is an increase from 89 in Feb, 77 in Jan and 71 in December). It's heading in the right direction.

Still a disparity between the two sectors, but it is closing based purely on the numbers (make of that what you will).

Comment

• I am based near MAN and locally there has been advertising for the MAN > IAH sector. I caught it on the radio the other day.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                I am based near MAN and locally there has been advertising for the MAN > IAH sector. I caught it on the radio the other day.
                Hmmm ... unless you're in the oil/energy or related business, I can't think of any reason why anyone else would want to go to Houston. There's really only one tourist attraction - the NASA Space Control and Training Centre. Transit?

Comment

• I gather this has a good chunk of business traffic - medical and shipping are also large industry sectors on either end of the MAN-IAH sector.

High premium traffic is a possible explanation for why SQ persist with IAH, albeit anecdotal evidence suggests (see MANFlyer post earlier in this thread) that loads and fares in the pointy end are a mixed bag.

Comment

• Trend continues into April (below figures do not include SIN-IAH traffic):

MAN-SIN - average load 174
                    MAN-IAH - average load 119

Starting to even out but still a sector disparity, overall encouraging for MAN but SIN-IAH traffic must be very small.

Comment

Trend continues into April (below figures do not include SIN-IAH traffic):

MAN-SIN - average load 174
                      MAN-IAH - average load 119

Starting to even out but still a sector disparity, overall encouraging for MAN but SIN-IAH traffic must be very small.
                      Let me help you combine all figures so it is easier to do a comparison

Dec
                      MAN/SIN -
                      MAN/IAH - 71

Jan
                      MAN/SIN -
                      MAN/IAH - 77

Feb
                      MAN/SIN -
                      MAN/IAH - 89

Mar
                      MAN/SIN - 165
                      MAN/IAH - 107

Apr
                      MAN/SIN - 174
                      MAN/IAH - 119

================
                      Honestly, I'm quite surprised by the load on MAN/IAH sector. To me, it seems like just a flight between two random cities around the globe but it can attract more than 100 pax per day! Can someone remind me if SQ still codeshares with UA for any flights beyond IAH?

Comment

• Thanks happyflyer I think Jan/Feb SIN-MAN numbers were broadly equal to March (165), and December down slightly.

Manchester (and the north of the UK) have some pretty strong connections to Houston in medical, shipping and oil. I assume there are also connecting passengers at IAH but honestly don't know.

It's interesting that LH are starting MUC-SIN again as a night departure from MUC. Makes one wonder if/when capacity will be added to SQ51/52...

Comment

• To update May/June - MAN-SIN slightly down, but the headline is that the MAN-SIN and MAN-IAH sectors have almost evened out. Good work SQ!

May
                          SIN-MAN / 5,871 / A/L 133
                          IAH-MAN / 4,496 / A/L 102

June
                          SIN-MAN / 6,632 / A/L 158
                          IAH-MAN / 6,119 / A/L 146

Note: the above do not account for SIN-IAH traffic. The route is flown by the A350 with 253 seats.

Comment

• Where do you get all the traffic and load factor? I'm curious on some routes and would like to do some research on how sold out they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
                              Where do you get all the traffic and load factor? I'm curious on some routes and would like to do some research on how sold out they are.
                              Hi SQ002

It's from the UK Civil Aviation Authority statistics. It captures (UK originating/terminating) point to point traffic and doesn't set out ultimate O&D or connecting traffic. It also does not distinguish between airlines.

For example SQ51/52 is the only service MAN-SIN and MAN-IAH. The stats capture those passenger flows but not SIN-IAH. If another carrier came on either route it would become impossible to work out loads by carrier.

I think the US has an equivalent publishing authority for aviation stats, but they are several months behind and the data isn't clear.

For comparison, SQ's Q1 report said something like mid to high 70% load was their network average.

Comment

I think the US has an equivalent publishing authority for aviation stats, but they are several months behind and the data isn't clear.
                                Actually, some US airports including IAH report very good statistics on a monthly basis. According to their May numbers, this is how SQ performed. 22 flights each way. 253 seats on the A359.

Enplaned
                                IAH-MAN 114 pax
                                IAH-SIN 98 pax
                                Average load 84%

Deplaned
                                MAN-IAH 84 pax
                                SIN-IAH 54 pax
                                Average load 54%

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/...nd-statistics/

Comment

Working...
                                X