I've had it... looking outside SPG for hotel stays in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it... looking outside SPG for hotel stays in Singapore

Well after 1 too many disappointments at the Le Meridien Singapore, and not wanting to stay in Newton, I was looking forward to the St Regis Singapore. Now I'm not normally a St Regis person but it'd seem that this new property was to be the last salvation for my loyalty to SPG in Singapore. They're supposed to be decent hotels for what they are hey.

S$600 for a deluxe room?!?!?!
    Well ok, no surprise since it's a St Regis but this is Singapore, filled with gleaming hotels, and surely the St Regis can't be that much better than the other nice hotels around.

Sure I might get some upgrades at the LM as in the not too distant future as PLT, but it's still paying almost $250 for a hotel, with 2-3 star rooms and rather ho-hum public areas.

My immediate reaction was to check out the Swissotel Stamford. For S$260 it fits my budget and assuming the quality has been maintained or improved since its days as a Westin - it does look like it'd be my hotel of choice. Plus my favourite bar in Singapore is just upstairs. The only problem is its loyalty program, Club Swiss Gold does not seem to offer as much benefits as, say, SPG or HH. But hopefully someone who actually deals with Swissotels can prove me wrong?

So I was wondering if someone can suggest a hotel I should check out for future stays. I'd like to remain in the Orchard Rd/Clark Quay/Raffles City area. And y'all know my taste - chic and modern. My budget would be S$300 or less. I'd also like a hotel that recognises loyalty to a reasonable degree, whether in the form of published benefits or informal benefits. Go with Swissotel Stamford? Forget about loyalty programs altogether and try out the MO? Find a nice boutique hotel? Stick with the familiarity of the Hilton/Conrad? C'mon surprise me.

Thanks.

(And cheers to those who've knocked some sense into me and enabled me to see the light...)
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 30 September 2007, 02:37 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

The last time I stayed in Swissotel Stamford was 4 years ago in June 2003. The room is certainly very spacious, but, the decor was quite outdated. I am not sure if they have renovated the rooms. Pricewise, it is within your budget (< S$300).

Comment

I always stay at the Grand Hyatt. Location and hotel decor are great!

Comment

I was completely unimpressed by the Swissotel Stamford -- I didn't like the public spaces (noisy lobby and inadequate airconditioning in the hallway on the guest floors); the room was unremarkable; and the furnishings and toiletries in the room were below those of the hotels within walking distance (e.g., the Pan Pacific).

I recommend staying in a hotel nearby if you really want to be in staggering distance of your favorite bar.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I agree with those comments above. Swissotel's lobby is rather crowded and too open, there's not much exclusivity for a 5 stars hotel. In city hall areas, I usually like to stay in Conrad or Pan Pacific. Conrad is much better if you need a loyalty program. I used to be a regular guests in Pan Pac and I knew a number of people who work there. In Orchard, Grand Hyatt is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            I was completely unimpressed by the Swissotel Stamford -- I didn't like the public spaces (noisy lobby and inadequate airconditioning in the hallway on the guest floors); the room was unremarkable; and the furnishings and toiletries in the room were below those of the hotels within walking distance (e.g., the Pan Pacific).
            Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
            I agree with those comments above. Swissotel's lobby is rather crowded and too open, there's not much exclusivity for a 5 stars hotel.
            Thanks for the warning. Listening to others' experiences is definitely much better than looking at deceptively nice pics on the net.

I don't have to be within staggering distance of the bar, just staggering distance of an affordable taxi fare.

Thanks for the tips RE Conrad, Grand Hyatt and Pan Pacific. I was also recommended the Royal Plaza Scotts by StarG over msn, and I know that quite a number of people here like the MO. I shall proceed to create a list and tick them off after every SIN visit. But in case I fall into the loyalty program spell yet again, I'm comforted by the thought that I could run to the Conrad.

Anyone has any experience with the New Majestic? It looks very interesting. But I'm just concerned about the service, as with a lot of small boutique hotels. I've stayed at 1929 which suffered from understaffing and amateurish staff.

Am now kicking myself over the misspent nights at the LM SIN when the other hotels look a whole lot nicer and cost almost the same. Ah well.... better late than never.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 30 September 2007, 08:01 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I have stayed at the Pan Pac, Marina Mandarin and the Oriental, all of which are in the vicinity of Raffles City. They are all excellent hotels.

For hotels in Orchard Road, Grand Hyatt is definitely one of the better ones. The Meritus Mandarin is also quite recommended with its famous Chatterbox cafe and the Chicken Rice.

Comment

Well, I believe that whether a hotel is good or not, also has something to do with your luck. You might be staying at the Ritz, but your experience might be woeful as compared to another.
                We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                  Well, I believe that whether a hotel is good or not, also has something to do with your luck. You might be staying at the Ritz, but your experience might be woeful as compared to another.
                  I try to give more than one chance to a hotel, but occasionally, the disappointment occurs along so many dimensions that I'm reluctant to provide another chance. In Singapore, I've experienced this kind of disappointment only at the Stamford and the Le Meridien.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    I don't have to be within staggering distance of the bar, just staggering distance of an affordable taxi fare.
                    That doesn't really narrow options down in Singapore, does it? Won't drinks on a good night out cost more than the one-way fare from most centrally-located hotels to Changi?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      That doesn't really narrow options down in Singapore, does it? Won't drinks on a good night out cost more than the one-way fare from most centrally-located hotels to Changi?
                      I thought that when I read it! About the only hotel Keith's comment rules out is this resort on Pulau Ubin.

Comment

Look I was making a really good point until the 2 of you started to muddle it up with facts....

Comment

Am I too conservative by always staying at Meritus Mandarin? I somehow cannot imagine living somewhere else as Meritus Mandarin reminds me of my childhood somehow.
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                            Am I too conservative by always staying at Meritus Mandarin? I somehow cannot imagine living somewhere else as Meritus Mandarin reminds me of my childhood somehow.
                            IMHO, you're being too conservative. Sometimes it's good to break free from the shackles of nostalgia and test the world outside the familiar ... particularly in a dynamic city like Singapore.

Comment

Hip Hotels I know..........

http://www.galleryhotel.com.sg/html/index.html
                              http://www.hotel1929.com/ ....has a fab restaurant!
                              http://www.thescarlethotel.com/

I've never stayed at any of them........for obvious reasons......

Comment

Working...
                              X