No announcement yet.

Silk Air to be merged into Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if SQ will continue running the 3 737-800s not transferred to TR as a mini fleet serving KUL (and maybe PEN) with the existing J class configuration until they are retired.

Comment

Silkair will still retain some 738s as it will be transfering only 14 738s to Scoot. However this would mean also that Scoot which have only the narrow body A320s will now have to integrate the 738s into its fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
        I don't think (and hope) SQ will deploy narrow body to Jakarta. If they can afford 9 daily flights now to Jakarta, I do not see the reason why they want to downgrade the flight to narrow body. Surely they can carry enough connecting passenger to/from Jakarta.
        I agree. Jakarta is a huge market source for SQ both in O&D and transfer traffic. I don't see problem with filling 9 widebody for SQ.

I suspect Surabaya will be downgraded to both narrow body removing the morning departure SQ flight which reinstated right after BR joined the *A. but now with BR pulled out of SUB and MI reintegration, I think the morning SUB flight will be replaced by narrow body.
        I beg to differ and I think the status quo will be maintained. SUB being the second biggest and richest city in Indonesia has a lot of premium O&D and transfer traffic demand. I think the reason BR pull out is probably because Taipei and Surabaya traffic is mainly for low yielding foreign workers from the small towns in East Java and thus lack the premium traffic. CI survived serving SUB because it combines SIN and SUB enabling it to have timing advantage (early departure out of SUB and SIN and late departure out of TPE ) compared to other carriers.

Likewise KUL. There is only 3 SQ flights to KUL on weekday and 1 on weekend, which clearly show that there is no demand on the weekend and hence SQ decides not to fly that 2 SQ flights on weekend. I think KUL will see all narrow body flight with probably increase of frequencies.
        Again I think status quo will prevail. The wide body operation has been scheduled based on years of statistics of premium and peak travel demand.

HAN may also suffer the same faith. I am guessing the reason why SQ still fly there in the morning is to have *A presence, otherwise, all the traffic will go to TG. Again, the morning flight will go to narrow body and I think it may increase the frequencies to 3x/day.
        There is a lack of morning frequency out of Singapore with many Vietnam based carrier flight only departing out of Singapore in mid afternoon. Thus I believe SQ will still be able to maintain this demand to serve HAN with widebody in the morning.

I don't think HKG will get narrow body, as SQ is risking losing the business to CX.
        Totally agree with you on this. Though I see disadvantage of SQ not offering red-eye flight to and from HK which CX does. Maybe a narrowbody red-eye flight to HK? With lie flat business product, SQ maybe quite competitive on this end.

Overall, I really hope, the narrow body biz will be something like regional biz on B787 and not siimply like premium economy seat.
        It has been stated that SQ narrow body biz will be consistent lie-flat product thus they are investing millions of dollars to refurbish MI planes before the merger.

Comment

100 staff to lose jobs as SilkAir shuts down regional offices

100 staff to lose jobs as SilkAir shuts down regional offices

About 100 staff members from SilkAir will lose their jobs over the next 20 months as the regional wing of Singapore Airlines (SIA) progressively shuts down its offices in 18 regional cities.

Those affected are based in Indonesia, India, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Laos and Myanmar.

Their jobs will become redundant when SilkAir transfers existing services to these markets to Scoot, the budget arm of SIA. The switch is part of a merger plan that will see SilkAir folded into SIA.

Comment

actual job losses in Silkair will be much more than the 100 staff who are basically from its regonal offices. There are economies when it merges with SIA in almost all areas of airline ops including from check-in, HR, accounts, etc - as all Silkair back and fromt offices will be integrated into one.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post

I beg to differ and I think the status quo will be maintained. SUB being the second biggest and richest city in Indonesia has a lot of premium O&D and transfer traffic demand. I think the reason BR pull out is probably because Taipei and Surabaya traffic is mainly for low yielding foreign workers from the small towns in East Java and thus lack the premium traffic. CI survived serving SUB because it combines SIN and SUB enabling it to have timing advantage (early departure out of SUB and SIN and late departure out of TPE ) compared to other carriers.
              I did not know that SUB is the richest city in Indonesia. But I think you may contradict yourself on the reason why BR pull out. If the premium traffic form SUB is very high, then BR should have no issue to fill the plane of course, may not be on O&D must mostly on North America connection.

I suspect why SQ transferred back the morning flight to SQ from MI, because SQ "afraid" to lose the *A traffic, as BR may take the traffic.

Now with BR is out of equation and "MI" will be part of SQ, SQ can deploy narrow body plane to SUB, probably with increase frequencies from 2 to 3?

Personally the state of SUB as the second biggest cities in quite pathetic in term of international flight.

There are only flight to SIN, BKK, PEN KUL, HKG, BWN and TPE (via SIN) from SUB and some of these flights are served by budget carrier.

Of course this may mean opportunity for SQ and this is why I am betting that SQ will rather increase the frequencies with narrow body instead of deploying wide body.

Again I think status quo will prevail. The wide body operation has been scheduled based on years of statistics of premium and peak travel demand.
              Not disagreeing with you that those wide body operation have been scheduled based on the statistic. But I will bet that one of the reason is to maintain the *A presence in KUL. If all the flights are given to MI, then SQ may lose some significant connection from Europe to KUL to may be TG.

There is a lack of morning frequency out of Singapore with many Vietnam based carrier flight only departing out of Singapore in mid afternoon. Thus I believe SQ will still be able to maintain this demand to serve HAN with wide body in the morning.
              The lacking of morning flight to HAN specifically does mean it justify to fly wide-body there. I am not very familiar with this route, as I only flew it once, but it seems HAN is not as popular as SGN.

You may be right as it seems now even the afternoon flight to HAN is back as SQ flight on certain date. May be this will be as it is.

Totally agree with you on this. Though I see disadvantage of SQ not offering red-eye flight to and from HK which CX does. Maybe a narrowbody red-eye flight to HK? With lie flat business product, SQ maybe quite competitive on this end.
              Why SQ needs to do red eye flight to HKG?

CX has a valid reason to do red eye flight from SIN to HKG. This is to connect to early morning departure to North Asia (especially China?). If there is no red eye flight between SIN and HKG, it will be challenging for you to reach the destination by midnight, even to Taipei, as 6am flight from SIN will only get to you to HKG by noon.

Same as the HKG-SIN red eye, this is to accommodate "late" connection, as the "last" flight to SIN at 8pm may be too tight.

I do not see the strong reason why SQ needs to offer red eye connection from HKG. Also 3.5-4 hours flight and no time difference make it "difficult" flight to operate in my opinion. So if SQ operate this flight to arrive HKG around 5-6 am in the morning, the return flight will be very close to SQ 1. Unless, SQ will eliminate the SQ1/2, then this may make more sense.

It has been stated that SQ narrow body biz will be consistent lie-flat product thus they are investing millions of dollars to refurbish MI planes before the merger.
              Good to hear that. Let's see what they will come out.
              visit my blog

Comment

I agree. Jakarta is a huge market source for SQ both in O&D and transfer traffic. I don't see problem with filling 9 widebody for SQ.

There is a lack of morning frequency out of Singapore with many Vietnam based carrier flight only departing out of Singapore in mid afternoon. Thus I believe SQ will still be able to maintain this demand to serve HAN with widebody in the morning.

FYI.... most rich Indonesians flies LCC

Comment

I agree. A lot of the CGK-SIN sectors I have flown in have full or nearly full J class cabins. Even then, 63 weekly might not be enough - in 2016 SQ almost increased SIN-CGK to 74 weekly before receiving resistance from local authorities.
                  Last edited by SQ957; 28 November 2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
                    FYI.... most rich Indonesians flies LCC
                    Yeah, many rich Indonesians flies LCC, especially on shorthaul holiday trips, but the thing is CGK market is mostly for business and corporate travels during the business day and during the high season it's full of Indonesians either going to Singapore(who are willing to pay more for a full service carrier) or those connecting into a medium or longhaul flight within SQ group, so they definitely won't send any narrowbodies to CGK.

For Surabaya market, don't think much will change as SQ already deployed their A330 for some time, so it's most likely to be replaced by 787-10, and maybe make it 3 daily. As there aren't a lot of full service carrier which provides connection to many destinations that serves SUB, SQ will definitely take full advantage of this, with more frequency combined they served as of now compared to CX

Comment

• Indonesia has a population of 240 Mio. No home carrier which has a significant international network. The majority of Indonesians will need to transfer anyway somewhere on the way to Europe or North America.

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
                        Bengaluru gets the regional 777 daily, the daily scoot A320 and 5 times weekly silkair flight. The 777 has 38 J and 228 Y for a total of 263. This would be a weekly seat count of 1,841 for the flight.

The regional 350s would have 40J and 263Y for a total of 303 seats a flight and a weekly seat count of 2,121. The 787 would have 36 J and 301 Y for a total of 337 seats a flight and a weekly seat count of 2,359.

The end of the scoot flight will provide 1,260 additional seats allowing the swap to either the A350 or the 787. The additional seats could also allow silkair to increase its flight to daily giving SQ a day and a night departure from the city.
                        Looks like the daily Scoot flights will be replaced by 3 weekly SQ flights operated by the A350R, resulting in a reduction of 351 seats a week. i.e.
                        - SQ: 7 weekly 772 + 3 weekly A350R
                        - MI: 5 weekly 73M

New BLR flights:
                        SQ504 SIN 2220 0005 (+1) BLR
                        SQ505 BLR 0120 0825 SIN

Operates Fri/Sat/Sun effective May 17.

Comment

• You know so far, it seems like silkair is merging with scoot rather than SIA

Hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by CheapoFlyer View Post
                            You know so far, it seems like silkair is merging with scoot rather than SIA

Hahaha
                            I was reading the article and it seems that TRV will be transferred to Scoot anytime between May and October 2019. If this is the case, I guess TRV will not get any IFE like SQ would. When I kept lurking and reading through this thread, I thought that when Silk Air is going to be merged to Singapore Airlines, all the routes by Silk Air would be served by SQ, even if it's a narrow body.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                              I have no opposition towards charging for seat selections, lounge access, inflight wifi... etc, in fact I would prefer if SIA Group can charge economy and premium economy passengers lounge access to SilverKris so that those who cannot afford to pay Business/First can still enjoy premium perks whilst increasing revenue for SIA. I believe S$100 is a good price for SilverKris and S$250 is good for The Private Room.

I also have no opposition towards charging for seat selections because this enables me to select the best seat on the plane without worrying they are taken by others.

I also believe WiFi access inflight is a privilege and I think charging for it is fair enough.

What I do not agree is that when Silkair is replaced by Scoot without other direct full service alternative we will have no access to these privilege anymore, even if you can afford them.

Please have a close look at what kind of rubbish Scoot and other LCCs are offering:

- No Priority Baggage, even you pay $ for it.
                              - No Lounge Access for SilverKris or KrisFlyer Gold Lounge
                              - No options for a 3 course meal, even you pay for it
                              - No options to have a table cloth placed underneath your meal
                              - No options to have a middle seat empty, creating your own European Business Class seat
                              - No inflight WiFi, even you can afford one
                              - No inflight entertainment, even you can afford
                              - No inflight maps, risking ourselves to be on another MH370

I am a youngster as well and I need all things mentioned above. I think if people don't want those things, then they can catch a bus, ferry or train to their destinations, and need not flying.

Aircraft are like cruise ships, itself is a tourist feature. Therefore as I cannot imagine how you can survive in a cruise ship without inclusive of food, bedding and entertainment, so I cannot imagine how flying can be done without checked luggage, inflight entertainment (at least a live flight map), and a meal included as a bare minimum.
                              I was thinking the same way when I was reading the article, especially on many MI routes being transferred to Scoot when I thought MI would be fully SQ even with narrow bodies.

Comment

• What is this? There is a possibility I may travel in the Summer again to India between June and August and when you put SFO-TRV for a dummy booking, you get nothing as opposed to when you have MI operating?

You mean Scoot flights have to be booked separately? I'm not understanding what's happening with the merger on the MI routes being transferred to TR?

Comment

Working...
                                X