Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for American food in Singapore

Bit of an odd one really...

I usually travel from MEL-LHR via HKG on CX but thanks to the sale a few months ago, I'll be going via Singapore this time. In HKG I usually take a trip to City Super and pick up some US cereal and chocolate for the other half who can't get enough of the stuff. I have plenty of time to get into Singapore on my layovers (8/9 hours) so does anyone know of anywhere that stocks US food imports? I don't know Singapore at all so idiot proof directions would be necessary assuming there is such a place.

Keeping my fingers crossed as it would help to assuage my guilt that he has to stay here this year while I get to swan off...

err.. isn't most of the things you find at the supermarkets in Singapore American? If you mean things like cereal, burger patties and microwave pasta dinners when you say American then yes, any supermarket.

The largest chains here are Fair Price, Cold Storage, Carrefour, Jayson's The Marketplace and Giant. There'll be some mall within every few streets and a major supermarket in each them. You wont have a problem, stores, supermarkets are restaurants are everywhere here and Singaporeans speak English as their primary language (albeit with that Singlish slang) so you wont have any problems getting around either.

Singapore is a heavily Americanised country. A lot more than Hong Kong. It was not till I went there that I realised the people of Hong Kong dont take English as their first language like we do in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
      err.. isn't most of the things you find at the supermarkets in Singapore American?
      err... no.

Singapore is a heavily Americanised country. A lot more than Hong Kong. It was not till I went there that I realised the people of Hong Kong dont take English as their first language like we do in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
        err... no.
        What American food dont you get here?

What here isn't American? As a young Singaporean I grew up like most people here on Hollywood movies, tv series (the local ones are crap and most Singaporeans would readily admit that), and American music to say the least.

Are you even local?

Comment

As a young Singaporean ...
          LOL. I think I'm gonna let you become an older Singaporean and figure this one out as you see fit. Nothing further to add here.

Comment

LOL. I think I'm gonna let you become an older Singaporean and figure this one out as you see fit. Nothing further to add here.
            I'm in my early 20s and my previous post I was describing what I grew up on when I was younger, not that I'm a kid now.

God some people on this forum just love rediculing everything that isn't in line with their believes like they're the damn voice of reason

Comment

err.. isn't most of the things you find at the supermarkets in Singapore American?
              What American food dont you get here?
              You do realise that the above two statements are not the same?

Comment

Stop bickering! Just answer the damned questions.
                It's clear that the poster asking about imported products from the US. Yes, cereals made in the US. And I am sure you guys can tell the poster the answer without any irrelevant arguments.
                Peace for all SQTalkers!

Comment

This United States Navy site mentions that "stores like Liberty Market at Plaza Singapura (near Dhoby Ghaut MRT), and Cold Storage Gourmet near Holland Village pride themselves on carrying American products."

Dhoby Ghaut is not the most convenient MRT station from Changi, so hopefully a more knowledgeable poster will decide to contribute as well.

Comment

Concept - I wouldn't have a clue whether most things in Singapore are American, hence the question.

SQ TPP and Coles thank you for your input, it is much appreciated. I am specifically looking for imported American cereal - Apple Jacks to be precise, and Froot (ouch) Loops - and chocolate - reese's pieces etc.

I'm quite happy to negotiate complicated MRT routes, I just have an inbuilt paranoia about missing flights so wouldn't want to travel too far afield.

Comment

If Apple Jacks and Fruit Loops are all that you're looking for, they are available in most supermarkets in town where expats shop.
                      Tanglin Mall and Paragon come to mind
                      Whether they are manufactured in the US is another matter.
                      They may be manufactured in subsidiaries globally...

As for Reese pieces, I've only seen them landside in Changi Airport, in confectionary shop on departure level of T3.

Comment

To say that most things in the supermarkets in Singapore are American made or carrying an American brand may be a bit of an exaggeration. We can definitely find some of the big American brand products here but not all. Also, you will find that most of the classic American food products are not manufactured in the US but in China, Indonesia, and Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by Almo View Post
                          Concept - I wouldn't have a clue whether most things in Singapore are American, hence the question.

SQ TPP and Coles thank you for your input, it is much appreciated. I am specifically looking for imported American cereal - Apple Jacks to be precise, and Froot (ouch) Loops - and chocolate - reese's pieces etc.

I'm quite happy to negotiate complicated MRT routes, I just have an inbuilt paranoia about missing flights so wouldn't want to travel too far afield.
                          Liberty Supermarket has been extinct since 2007.

Tanglin Marketplace @ Tanglin Mall
                          Paragon Market Place @ Paragon
                          Jasons Market Place @ Raffles City
                          Cold Storage @ King Albert Park (Bukit Timah)

IIRC, there's another outlet at ION Orchard as well.

Comment

God some people on this forum just love rediculing everything that isn't in line with their believes like they're the damn voice of reason
                            Don't know about that. As others have mentioned, answering the question might have been a better option for you. Adding that, "Singapore is a heavily Americanised country..." could have hit a nerve with some.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Almo, there are supermarkets in the basement of all 3 terminals where you can pick up food if you don't wish to leave the airport. Though, all 3 are beyond immigration and customs.
                              T1 has NTUC
                              T2 has Cold Storage
                              T3 has NTUC (open 24hrs)

You could also try to find your apple jacks and fruit loops in the airport shop "The Cocoa Tree". They sell Chocs and Candies

Comment

Working...
                              X