Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines Wins OAG's Airline Of The Year 2008 Award !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Wins OAG's Airline Of The Year 2008 Award !

The OAG Airline of the Year Awards, an award among some that is <i>actually</i> respected in the industry, have been announced for the year 2008.

Singapore Airlines Limited (SIA) have won the main award for the sixth time in the award's history - more than any other airline.
    The Airline also won Best International First Class and Best Airline Based in Asia.

Singapore Changi Airport won Best Airport.

Winning the award is a sign of recognition by air travellers of the extremely hard work that all SIA Group employees put in every day to achieve operational and service excellence. Long may it continue and I offer the Airline kudos.

“This is a very special night for Singapore,” says Alan Glass, CEO of OAG. “Our congratulations go to the airline, the airport, the Government and the people of Singapore. The level of service and innovation that Singapore Airlines and Singapore Changi have consistently offered the travelling public is reflected by the way OAG subscribers, the world’s frequent fliers, have voted. The slogan for Singapore Changi is ‘Enjoy the experience’. Travellers who use the airport and the airline clearly do.”

The recipient of the Outstanding Service Award was the Air Canada Customer Service team based at Heathrow Airport. The team of five people were honoured for their personal generosity and effort in making a real difference to the lives of young children in South Africa.

Latter two paragraphs quoted from OAG

SQ has worked hard for the awards and that includes the staff that makes many of our flights a pleasant one.

Hope it translates into good bonuses for the deserving staff and improved benefits for her loyal customers instead of translating into swell-headedness and complacency with more cuts in the offings.

Comment

Well alas staff can only get bonuses if the company performs well and there will need to be sacrifices.

Nevertheless, I think staff got 5.9 months bonus this year. I'd like 7* months bonus for working just 12 months in a year!

* For non-Singaporeans, some Singaporean companies give an extra month because of the 13th month rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
        Well alas staff can only get bonuses if the company performs well and there will need to be sacrifices.

Nevertheless, I think staff got 5.9 months bonus this year. I'd like 7* months bonus for working just 12 months in a year!

* For non-Singaporeans, some Singaporean companies give an extra month because of the 13th month rule.
        Bonuses exclude allowances and many SQ Staff have a sizeable portion of their pay in allowances. Basic pay for cabin crew is not fantastic. The hardwork of the SQ staff makes it one of the lowest (if not the lowest) expense per Km of the premier airlines and it will be a pity if the staff will have to make sacrifices again.

I remembered when I was a kid many of my friends talk about working for SQ. Sadly, I don't hear of such talk anymore. I suspected there is a shortage of cabin crew and often the good ones don't stayed long enough.

The KF Members are already making their sacrifices too. No more PPS birthday gifts, higher qualification hurdle rate, no more miles on Krisshop sales, no more premium drinks in first class lounge, double mileage on new aircraft type etc..Kudos to members to put up with these cost cutting for our favourite airline.

Comment

Well you know, it's a terrible industry if you want to make any money. Better off working for an oil company!

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
            Well you know, it's a terrible industry if you want to make any money. Better off working for an oil company!
            Agreed. I read in the newspaper even SQ is looking at the routes and they have taken out the TAIPEI - LAX and Osaka - Bangkok runs, which were loss making. SQ was asked if have miscalculated on the Full biz class to NYC and SQ mentioned that for the first couple of weeks, the load factor have been close to full on most flights. But SQ added that they are not taking the US downturn lightly.

I have been in the oil industry during the oil industry downturn to be honest it was ready very hard. Things like this do come in cycle. Only certain...no up forever!

Comment

Working...
            X