Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonably priced hotels during the Singapore Grand Prix? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonably priced hotels during the Singapore Grand Prix? (merged)

I plan to arrive in Singapore the night before the race, and plan to depart the next morning (before the race) , but unfortunately, there are some ridiculously high prices throughout Singapore during that time frame.

Anyone know of a better way to get something reasonably priced (I'm sure I'll pay a premium, but those rates on the net are eye-popping)?

Can you force availability on any of your hotel programmes ? The rack rate at one of the lowest category properties may be bearable. (I had the same problem trying to book a few weeks prior to New Year's Eve last year in HKG and ended up with the rack rate somewhere for a price which wasn't as eye watering as I thought it would be.)

A friend's spare bedroom perhaps or even a hotel in JB ?

Availability may free up nearer the time ?

I don't supose there are any Malaysian travel agents offering packages of travel and a hotel for the Singapore Grand Prix ? Get one of those and ditch the travel.

Comment

When is the Grand Prix?

Comment

I think SQfg is looking at the night of 27 Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          I think SQfg is looking at the night of 27 Sept.
          Oh thank you. Will not be in that part of the world end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            or even a hotel in JB ?
            If I make it that far, I really just ought to go straight on home. I'm only stuck because of the late arrival of my flight into SIN and no possible connections home

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              If I make it that far, I really just ought to go straight on home. I'm only stuck because of the late arrival of my flight into SIN and no possible connections home
              sleep in the F lounge? or get one of the SQtalkers to bump in in for a night

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

Hotels for Singapore Grand Prix

I'm planning on going to Singapore Grand Prix at the end of September.
                  I've been trying to secure a hotel, but I just can't seem to find any availability.

As I'm IC Royal Ambassador, I can force a reservation at SGD1,800++ for club room.
                  This really seems too high (but then, I'll be using BOGO cert, so it's actually going to be SGD900++ / day).

Is there any other way to book a room at good hotels for around SGD$1,000?
                  By good hotels, I don't mean Raffles or Fullerton, but something like Conrad or Grand Hyatt?

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
                    I'm planning on going to Singapore Grand Prix at the end of September.
                    I've been trying to secure a hotel, but I just can't seem to find any availability.

As I'm IC Royal Ambassador, I can force a reservation at SGD1,800++ for club room.
                    This really seems too high (but then, I'll be using BOGO cert, so it's actually going to be SGD900++ / day).

Is there any other way to book a room at good hotels for around SGD$1,000?
                    By good hotels, I don't mean Raffles or Fullerton, but something like Conrad or Grand Hyatt?
                    Maybe Accorr properties just below your expectation.
                    But they still have room for 26-29 Sept.
                    Grand Mercure at rate SGD491
                    Novotel Clark Quay at rate SGD816
                    All are Accor Advantage Plus member's rate.
                    Just for a second thought....

Comment

I stay at the Conrad a lot and know them well, but they quoted me something like SGD 1010 per night, and minimum 3 or 4 night stay for the Grand Prix. Add the ridiculous 30% 'F1 tax' as well and they can Foxtrot Oscar . I'll watch it on TV instead.

I was delighted to read this week that as a result of this greedy tripling and quadrupling of prices, most Hotels are nowhere near fully booked. Some are only 50% full and some as low as 20%. Good. I hope it stays that way and they have to come back down to planet earth. Maybe they'll learn that instead of using this as a wonderful opportunity to showcase Singapore, they have arrogantly just used it as on opportunity to rip people off, and this had definitely caused a fair deal of resentment.

I spoke to an Aussie guy I know in Saigon this week. He takes his wife and two kids to Singapore every 3 months or so for a long weekend, and he is an avid F1 fan. He was made up when the GP was announced but is absolutely livid at the prices they want for Hotels. As a result he is refusing to go and is that annoyed he has booked his next two long weekends to KL and Bangkok instead of Singapore.

A Brit here is going with a group of 10 but they are staying in Malaysia and will drive over for the GP and straight back, again fuming at the prices as they were looking forward to a few days in Singapore. Now he says they won't spend a minute or a penny more than they have to in Singapore. I also believe the press and corporates have complained about the prices, for the first time ever !!.

Way to go....
                      Last edited by MAN Flyer; 26 April 2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I Thought There Was Another Similar Thread...

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4078

(took me a while to find it, though...do quotes not work in the search phrases?)
                        HUGE AL

Comment

reminds me of when i went to Turin for the olympics. 2500 euro for a 1-br apt for 5 days. but i had an amazing time, so it made up for it.

Comment

It all sounds to me like a bit of greed.

I've been fortunate enough over the years to time my work trips with some major sporting or cultural events - a few Aussie Tennis Open, F1 GP's come to mind, and I've never had to pay triple or quadruple prices. Granted, I paid more, and that's to be expected, but not by the quantum those singapore hotels want.

Even during Formula 1 in Malaysia you don't have prices going up like that.

Comment

I've beent rying to get flights via a family contact who's in the travel business.
                              They've pulled out all the stops and the best they can do for me is a 3* hotel on the outskirts of the centre at a rate of almost £1200 (GBP) for four nights.
                              My agent tells me the buzz in the trade is that one of the F1 drivers has had to fork out £17,000 for a five night stay at one of the good hotels near the track. Now that's really

Compared to the last time I stayed in Singapore (2005) when I was put up at the Ritz Carlton Millenia for £120 per night......

Rampant profiteering - while it is to be expected when a big sporting event comes to town, a 300%-400% increase in rates across the board is extortion.
                              AS it stands, my accomodation choices are:
                              1. Park Bench near City Hall.....with subsequent free board (and possible flogging/criminal record)

2. Sleep on the floor at someone's house. Any volunteers?

3. Flush my plane tickets down the loo and watch the race on TV back home in Blightly.....
                              If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Working...
                              X