Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UA2 SIN-SFO 787-9 Polaris Business to San Francisco, Baseball and Yo-Yo Ma in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two hours prior to arrival, lights came on and a second meal was served...

By then we are off the coast of East Malaysia, just west of Kota Kinabalu, cruising at an altitude of 40,000 feet...

My meal was chicken and orzo in a four cheese sauce (I don't recall if there was a choice for this 2nd meal...)...

This didn't look that impressive, but tasted really good...

...with generous slices of chicken, along with orzo pasta (Which had grains shaped a little like rice) in a delicious creamy sauce...

Comment

A look out the window...

Windows were centrally undimmed...the 787 Y cabin had great overall ambience, with large windows, and a very bright cabin. Too bad about the 3-3-3 seating which detracted just a little from overall comfort, compared to a 9-abreast 777, A350 or even a 10-abreast A380.

Final approach and landing from the north, overflying Eastern Johor as made a long left turn to line up for landing on Runway 20R.

We were on the ground at 6.16pm, almost 30 minutes early.

Overall, this was a comfortable flight.

Cabin service, catering and IFE were all decent, and having an aisle seat made all the difference in this 3-3-3 cabin. As stated at the start of the TR, SFO-SIN direct is preferable in almost all respects to a one-stop journey.

Comment

Final reflections...

I have travelled to San Francisco very frequently, and have always enjoyed this city, whether it was for the weather, scenery, running routes or F&B. A run across the Golden Gate Bridge has always been a highlight for me, and something I do on every trip.

Chicago was fairly new to me -- while I have visited Chicago on several occasions before, my previous trips were fly-in, fly-out affairs, where I saw almost nothing. On this trip, I had a little more time to discover what Chicago had to offer, and I loved what I saw and experienced, whether it was Millenium Park, the Chicago Riverwalk, or the running route along Lake Michigan, or the sights and sounds of Michigan Avenue, and the amazing atmosphere at Wrigley Field. This city has a lot to offer, and I hope to head there again to see more of it.

What stood out on United?

On my outbound sector I liked the bedding and amenities in United Polaris Business Class (Pyjamas!). For some reason, something as simple as the hot fudge sundae for dessert, also stands out in my memory.

I also had the pleasure of flying with some really good cabin crew, such as the crew member on my ORD-SFO Y sector. The cabin crew on the SIN-SFO J sector took good care of pax too.

I was also very impressed with United's IT systems, whether it was their website, or their online app, which had amazing functionality, including the ability to upgrade your seat from the check-in screen, rebooking of flights in case of delays, as well as good integration with inflight entertainment when onboard.

What didn't I like about United?

They should really do something about their United Club in SFO International. Perhaps their priority there was the Polaris Lounge at SFO, which I have not visited, but which I have heard is superb. But that's no excuse for such as mediocre facility for Star Gold passengers at SFO, considering how good the United Clubs are at other international airports.

And I probably sound like a broken record now, but I still don't like flying Y in a 3-3-3 Dreamliner. The seats are still narrow, whereas as the years wear on, I am probably getter fatter...

Overall, on this trip, I was quite impressed with United Airlines.

While not an airline with the most wow-factor, my impression from outside in, from a customer perspective, is that they do a good job of getting you from A to B, and overall my perception is that United have high operating standards, whether it is the aircraft, the lounges, or the onboard product in Y or J.

The way they handled my misconnect was fine as well. I flew home a day later than expected, but an extra 24 hours in a beautiful city like San Francisco was no great hardship.

I got back to Singapore safe and sound, and the next day I flew off to Ho Chi Minh city to join Mrs yflyer and the kids, who had already begun their family vacation a day earlier. But that's a story for another TR...

Thanks for reading!

Comment

As someone who frequently travels between Singapore and USA, I haven't been brave enough to fly United long-haul all the way, so kudos to you! 9-abreast in Y on the 787 is the main reason. Their current 787-9 Business Class is also uncompetitive (I hate to call it 'Polaris' because it's really 'BusinessFirst' from Continental days), not that I can afford it though. Almost always when speaking to United representatives promoting their airline at roadshows and events, I always ask when the 787-9s will be refitted with their true Polaris seat because only then will I consider flying United between Singapore and the US (using miles). I just saw somewhere that the first refitted 787s will begin entering service end 2019/early 2020, hopefully it won't be long before they find their way to SIN.

I must say that United has made strides in the past 5 years in an attempt to become a world-class global carrier of choice. Like you mentioned, their new United Clubs are nice places to hang out. Unlike the case with some other Star carrier, I've never been to a United Club without a toilet inside the lounge. And as a Star Gold member, I appreciate being able to approach the United Club front desk for rebooking when there's a delay as the outside Customer Service desks can have more than 20x as many passengers in line waiting to be served.

Always a pleasure to read your thorough trip report, yflyer. Thanks for taking the time to produce another excellent one!

Comment

Been reading your TRs for quite a while now.

I salute you for flying Y for such long hauls.

I've flying SIN-USA specifically MIA and NYC very frequently.

Recently I started doing SIN-EWR direct with SQ on J then either uber to manhattan or EWR-MIA/FLL.

Honestly even in J I started getting restless at the 12 hrs mark and I am the sort who can sleep alot on planes. Recently I found abrasion on my ass. I will most probably revert back to doing CX or QR. I somewhat find that its more bearable with stop or stops in between even though it means more travelling time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
              Almost always when speaking to United representatives promoting their airline at roadshows and events, I always ask when the 787-9s will be refitted with their true Polaris seat because only then will I consider flying United between Singapore and the US (using miles). I just saw somewhere that the first refitted 787s will begin entering service end 2019/early 2020, hopefully it won't be long before they find their way to SIN.
              Yes, also looking forward to the newest Polaris business class seats, when they are eventually refitted on their 787-9's. I am hopeful that UA1/2 will be one of the first to get the new cabins.

And as a Star Gold member, I appreciate being able to approach the United Club front desk for rebooking when there's a delay as the outside Customer Service desks can have more than 20x as many passengers in line waiting to be served
              Being able, as Star Gold, to head inside United Club for customer service made a huge difference! The queues at customer service in the terminal itself were quite long.

Always a pleasure to read your thorough trip report, yflyer. Thanks for taking the time to produce another excellent one!
              Thanks for reading, Jumbojet Lover! Appreciate your comments too!
              Last edited by yflyer; 23 July 2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lennyberg View Post
                Been reading your TRs for quite a while now
                Thanks for reading them, Lennyberg!

I've flying SIN-USA specifically MIA and NYC very frequently.

Recently I started doing SIN-EWR direct with SQ on J then either uber to manhattan or EWR-MIA/FLL.
                Wow those are really long sectors to be flying on a regular basis!

I haven't yet formed a firm opinion on nonstop to the East Coast vs one-stop. Agree these are exceedingly long flights.

I only did the nonstop SIN-EWR once, in the old days of Exec Economy and the A345 (A one min video from 2006 here). After that it was mostly one-stops to the East Coast, for example BA or SQ/VS to BOS via LHR, or SIN-HEL-JFK on Finnair.

Hope to try either SIN-EWR on SQ's long range A359, or QF's PER-LHR marathon 787-9 flights at some point in future.

I will most probably revert back to doing CX or QR. I somewhat find that its more bearable with stop or stops in between even though it means more travelling time.
                QR is an airline I would love to fly, especially in J on their new A350-1000's. I've found CX pretty good as well, overall, although they appear to be going through a rough patch recently (I've noticed some cost cutting in Y catering over the years, for example). The CX experience is better for Oneworld high tier FF's or their own Marco Polo Club members. The CX Lounges in HKG put the SQ lounges in both HKG and SIN to shame as well.
                Last edited by yflyer; 23 July 2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I really love reading your TRs and this was no exception.

Insightful thoughts on the food, culture, people, architecture, and of course - the flight itself.

Riveting read especially on the misconnection - I was almost expecting the plot twist to be a re-booking on SQ31 / SQ33. Nonetheless, your "misfortune" is our to our benefit since it means your fantastic TR would only get longer.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                    I really love reading your TRs and this was no exception.
                    Thanks very much for reading them, 9V-SML! Appreciate the feedback!

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                    Riveting read especially on the misconnection - I was almost expecting the plot twist to be a re-booking on SQ31 / SQ33.
                    I was kinda wishing that as well! But nope, that wasn't an option I was offered!

Comment

yflyer, somehow your TRs just keep getting better and better. This one was so riveting i actually went late to lunch just to finish reading it. And i was pretty hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                        yflyer, somehow your TRs just keep getting better and better. This one was so riveting i actually went late to lunch just to finish reading it. And i was pretty hungry!
                        Thanks for reading, loldude333! Nice to know you enjoyed it! Forgot to add the usual disclaimer about not reading these TRs on an empty stomach!

Comment

Another informative and engaging TR from our resident UAFlyer .
                          How do you survive 17 hours in a tube? I do SFO with the one stop via HKG on CX and find it already hard to bear the TransPac sector (legs and body will scream to get off) the moment the plane hits ground on SFO.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                            Thanks for reading them, Lennyberg!

Wow those are really long sectors to be flying on a regular basis!

I haven't yet formed a firm opinion on nonstop to the East Coast vs one-stop. Agree these are exceedingly long flights.

I only did the nonstop SIN-EWR once, in the old days of Exec Economy and the A345 (A one min video from 2006 here). After that it was mostly one-stops to the East Coast, for example BA or SQ/VS to BOS via LHR, or SIN-HEL-JFK on Finnair.

Hope to try either SIN-EWR on SQ's long range A359, or QF's PER-LHR marathon 787-9 flights at some point in future.

QR is an airline I would love to fly, especially in J on their new A350-1000's. I've found CX pretty good as well, overall, although they appear to be going through a rough patch recently (I've noticed some cost cutting in Y catering over the years, for example). The CX experience is better for Oneworld high tier FF's or their own Marco Polo Club members. The CX Lounges in HKG put the SQ lounges in both HKG and SIN to shame as well.
                            Tell me about it.. I've doing SIN - USA every other month.. In between I go to other places too.

QR's Qsuites are really a joy to fly in. Very good privacy. I only wish that their seats can be as wide as SQ's J. I however find QR's service inconsistent unlike our own national airline.

CX is mostly good in the air and I agree with you totally on the lounge. Their F lounge is the best of the best! I always make it a point to shower when I make a stop in HKG.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                              Another informative and engaging TR from our resident UAFlyer .
                              Thanks, SINFJ! Not only UA...my loyalty (Or perhaps disloyalty...) is to both Star Alliance and Oneworld carriers

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                              How do you survive 17 hours in a tube? I do SFO with the one stop via HKG on CX and find it already hard to bear the TransPac sector (legs and body will scream to get off) the moment the plane hits ground on SFO.
                              Actually the SIN to West Coast USA sectors are often 15-16 hours. Practically speaking not too different from a 13 hour SIN-LHR hop. For me personally, sleeping onboard and getting up from my aisle seat to stretch makes a ton of difference! I would find it much harder in a middle seat (On sectors of any length!).

As for an 18 hour sector like SIN-EWR, I think I would get bored too...

Comment

CX is mostly good in the air and I agree with you totally on the lounge. Their F lounge is the best of the best! I always make it a point to shower when I make a stop in HKG.
                                I've only been to the F section of CX Lounge "The Wing" in HKG once, during that short, wonderful period when I was OW Emerald. Yes, a very impressive place! These days I am a level down, OW Sapphire, which only gets me into the J Lounges when I travel OW.

Spent some time in the past week in various CX J Lounges in HKG, SIN and BKK. All wonderful! I even prefer the CX Lounge in Changi T4 to any of the SilverKris J lounges in SIN!

Comment

Working...
                                X