T3 Goes Live: Impressions of T3 and the SQ Lounges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T3 Goes Live: Impressions of T3 and the SQ Lounges

I was on SQ 857 arriving at Gate A3 and the 777 would turn back to HK for the 3:30pm flight.

The T-3 is amazing, compared to T-2 and the high ceiling and increased natural light does miracle to it.

My first impression of the new Silver Kris Lounge... so far...

Overall:
    - High Ceiling and increased natural light make a dramatical different in the overall ambience.
    - The Marble floor with brown colored carpet adds elegance to the lounge.
    - Business Class section has the typical blue-ish and purpleish color scheme, but a warmer color.
    - First Class lounge uses a more beige colored tone (beige leather walls are visible).
    - As of now, no restroom facilities at the lounge... not sure when the shower facilities be ready... but be fore-warned! I will ask on my way out (if I remember)

First Class Lounge:
    - The Beige color leather theme and the brownish tone definitely adds more elegance to the product, which matches SQ's own brand new onboard products.
    - The furnitures are all designer type with a mix of Orientalism and Western modern style. There is a subtle Asian/Oriental theme, such as the chairs with the gold leaves design and the stools with the subtle Asian design. The bar has a Asian style pattern on top, and the Asian theme is definitely in the background, unlike CX, very Western design.
    - There are nice big armchairs.
    - Seating capacity - it does not look much larger than before, which concerns me for future references. As of now, the SKL F section is packed in the morning (well there are two different terminals now).
    - Only two computers - SONY VAIO...
    - Food area - I don't like it... It is too much like a canteen and the dining area lacks the exclusiveness of first class. It is still self-service with staffs assisting. The food selection is very disappointing - not much improved from the past. But I am here on the first day and on a non-traditional meal time.

Business Class lounge:
    - It is a large lounge with lots of space, so the concern of the lounge being packed does not apply for the J section.
    - The New Dining area is large and I honestly think the food selection in Business Class is better with at least three rows of various cold and hot food. (F only has a single row of food.) There is a also a long cafeteria design, which is not too fine by my book, but acceptable for Business Class.
    - New MAC computers dominate the new Business Center, but still no printing service.

In general, I think the new T-3 SKL is a major improvement from the past, and finally achieves a flagship lounge standard, but my top lounge is still Lufthansa's First Class Terminal and CX's "The WING" and "THE PIER" are still nicer.

Pictures will be posted on a separate post and later, as I arrived into KL.

Oh - no one stopped me from using the new T-3 lounge, even though my flight was departing from T-2.

Carfield

PS. Feel free to post questions here and I will try to answer it from memory.

Carfield, thanks!!!
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

So quick... Thanks for setting it up on a separate thread...

Pictures will be posted tonight once I arrived at KL...

Carfield

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        A little bird just told me that the SKL in T3 wouldn't be ready in time for the JAN09 opening... Hopefully my source was wrong, but otherwise I guess you'd have to slum it in the KFG lounge for a while.
        Seems like your bird was mostly wrong (right about the shower and toilet facilities, though).
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for such a quick review. I look forward to the pics!

P.S. - did you have a peek at what champers is served in the lounges?

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Seems like your bird was mostly wrong (right about the shower and toilet facilities, though).
          I'm glad the bird was wrong... phew. Amidst the chirping said bird did mention something about the lack of toilets... i think.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 January 2008, 04:54 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

visited terminal 3 landside a few weeks ago, must say it was the nicest terminal i'd ever had the chance to visit.
            zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
              visited terminal 3 landside a few weeks ago, must say it was the nicest terminal i'd ever had the chance to visit.
              Welcome to SQ Talk, zxcvbn!

I wanted to go see terminal 3 today but I had too many meetings scheduled and couldn't sneak away.

*When typing out your nick, I can guess how it was formed.

Comment

Carfield thanks for sharing so quickly

Got to say I think the F lounge in particular sounds very disappointing. Sounds like it is just a slightly updated version of the T2 SKL. Seems like SQ has decided that being average on the ground is OK as long as the onboard service is the best around. To be honest on the whole I think they are probably right, except that I think they will have a real problem convincing people that suites class is a class beyond first unless the whole experience is beyond first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  Carfield thanks for sharing so quickly

Got to say I think the F lounge in particular sounds very disappointing. Sounds like it is just a slightly updated version of the T2 SKL. Seems like SQ has decided that being average on the ground is OK as long as the onboard service is the best around. To be honest on the whole I think they are probably right, except that I think they will have a real problem convincing people that suites class is a class beyond first unless the whole experience is beyond first.

Stay tuned for reports from folks that have access to that part of SKL then

Comment

Food is important to me. There was a hint on here that the new SKL catering would be by a hotel (similar to the Peninsula doing the F&B for the CX HKG lounges) - if true, anyone know which one ?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Solitaire View Post
                      Stay tuned for reports from folks that have access to that part of SKL then
                      Is there a separate lounge for Suite Class?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Food is important to me. There was a hint on here that the new SKL catering would be by a hotel (similar to the Peninsula doing the F&B for the CX HKG lounges) - if true, anyone know which one ?
                        Maybe it is my SEA taste bud. To me the food selection and the food taste at CX Business Class lounges in Hongkong are poor - only some tasteless noodles from the stations that are closed at 11pm and some sandwiches.

The F side at the Pier and the Wing may have wonderful selection and food (I don't know since I have never been there) but the C sides in both lounges are poor.

I do hope that this new SKL will offer a much better food selection. However, it doesn't look like it is so. Also very strange is why the C section will have more selections (3 rows) than the F section. Is SQ hiding something from us? This is after all still the first day of operation.

Comment

Final version of my lounge report

Moderator - feel free to move the thread the appropriate forum...

SQ new Terminal Three report January 9, 2008:

Photo link:
                          Changi Airport Terminal Three:
                          http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqJ6Y

SQ Lounge:
                          http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqJ4Q

I have the fortune to be able to travel to Kuala Lumpur from Hong Kong via Singapore on January 9. The ticket was a redemption ticket on Singapore Airlines’ First Class, which allowed me access to the brand new SKL lounge at Terminal Three. Since all flights from Hong Kong (North Asia) will arrive at T-3 from now on, I have the fortune to arrive at T-3 on the first day of operation. I am not going to do a report on the flights, but menus will be posted at sqtalk and flyertalk’s related threads.

The new terminal three was simply amazing, and way better than the slightly older terminal two and way ahead of Terminal one. High ceiling, natural lights, interesting designs, a giant shopping mall and food court, a very soothing relaxing area, including a water pond, an indoor garden, a water fall, scents of flowers, and artwork make the new terminal three a new concept for airport architecture. The new Skytrain is easily located throughout the terminals, Pier A and B on T-3, and now towards C and D at Terminal One, and E and F at Terminal Two. I don’t think I need to say much and the photo album will convey my impression (and indeed how impress I am with the new Terminal three).

Since my flight arrived around 2pm, most of the inaugural ceremonies were over, except the live entertainment all day on January 9 at the garden area and staffs passing out special T-3 caps. But much staffs were touring the terminal three throughout the day and everyone was simply amazed.

The other highlight of this three-hour layover is the access towards the brand new Silver Kris Lounge. There is no doubt that the brand new Silver Kris Lounge at Terminal three is dramatically different from terminal one and the lounge is beautiful. Finally the SKL at SIN looks like a proper flagship lounge. The high ceiling and natural flights and new mood lighting are welcomed and the first class section still lacks a wide window overseeing the tarmac, but better than before. I am not going to add much to my earlier comment. So I will keep it here. The bathrooms are not yet available yet, so I am not sure if you can take a shower at T-3 now. I am sure it will be fixed soon. But I don’t have any details about the new bathroom facilities. About a separate Suite Class section, I am sorry to report that none is available, or at least for now. (But sincerely I think the suite class is just a gimmick for now and once other airlines get their A380s, the suite class will slowly becoming first again.) Marble also makes another prominent characteristic at the lounge.

Overall Impression:
                          - High Ceiling and increased natural light make a dramatical different in the overall ambience.
                          - The Marble floor with brown colored carpet adds elegance to the lounge.
                          - Business Class section also uses black leather armchairs and warmer shade of blue colors…
                          - First Class lounge uses a more beige colored tone (beige leather walls are visible), and large brown leather armchairs.

Highlights about the First Class Lounge:
                          - The Beige color leather theme and the brownish tone definitely add more elegance to the product, which matches SQ's own brand new onboard products and the new first class seats. Marble is also another theme in both first and business class lounges.
                          - The furniture pieces are all designer type with a mix of Orientalism and Western modern style. There is a subtle Asian/Oriental theme, such as the chairs with the gold leaves design and the stools with the subtle Asian design. The bar has an Asian style pattern on top, and the Asian theme is definitely in the background, unlike CX, very Western design.
                          - Seating capacity - it does not look much larger than before, which concerns me for future references. As of now, the SKL F section during the pre-Jan 9 days was often packed in the morning and late evening rush hours. It is interesting to see how the number will work in the near future, since there are two separate terminals.
                          - Only two computers - SONY VAIO...
                          - Food area - I don't like it... It is too much like a canteen and the dining area lacks the exclusiveness of first class. It is still self-service with staffs assisting. The food selection is very disappointing - not much improved from the past. But I am here on the first day and on non-traditional meal times. Red armchairs and brown tables are used here, but I think first class should be more restaurant style, like CX and LH.
                          - There is still no personal waiter/waitress service like CX, but the staffs are more on hand to help you out with food and beverage selections.

Business Class lounge:
                          - It is a large lounge with lots of space, so the concern of the lounge being packed does not apply for the J section. Visually, the lounge is so much larger now because of the high ceiling and bright lights and some view of the tarmac. Natural light is definitely nice, and capacity should not be a big problem now.
                          - The New Dining area is large and I honestly think the food selection in Business Class is better with at least three rows of various cold and hot food. (F only has a single row of food.) There is a also a long cafeteria table on the side… marble table, but I just don’t like that feeling of a dining hall, no matter how high class it is.
                          - New MAC computers dominate the new Business Center, but still no printing service.

In general, I think the new T-3 SKL is a major improvement from the past, and finally achieves a flagship lounge standard, but my top lounge is still Lufthansa's First Class Terminal and CX's "The WING" and "THE PIER" are still nicer. The design is amazing, but first class section still lacks a personal element and the business facility is still lacking, and the dining area is still a let down. Much can be done here!

Oh - no one stopped me from using the new T-3 lounge, even though my flight was departing from T-2. I am sure some people will venture over here just to use a newer lounge facility.

I know not all people will agree with me, but I hope you will respect my comment. I am sure the pictures will give you a good idea on what it looks like and maybe you can come up with your own conclusion.

Hope someone can keep us updated on the SKL development and hopefully food will be better.

Carfield

Comment

Thanks for sharing - great pics!

Hmm... I'm not so sure about the 'stained' marble look. I'd prefer plain marble, and perhaps a darker colour. But on the whole it looks like they did well with the lounges. They rate a respectable from me and represent an improvement on the T2 offerings, even though I think they could've done more.

I look forward to hearing about the champagne selection in the coming days.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 January 2008, 12:41 AM.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Great pictures. I look forward to being able to use it (if someone guests me in)

Comment

Working...
                              X