Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Rather than start a new thread...
    May others learn from utilizing the Google Search feature!

...I've just been tasked with the extended family's 2011 holiday planning.
    From not knowing how to get to VIE to planning extended family trips...my how our little boy has grown up!
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by KVS View Post
      If you are a '*A person', then there is absolutely no comparison between the two -- only the KVS Tool has 100% *A award/upgrade availability coverage and is the only Tool, which supports SQ/LH/US/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF.
      Thanks! Three quick questions:

1) Will it also show LX flights/award availability
      2) Will A award availability show on the 'Lite' tier
      3) What tier do I need to obtain entire *A award availability?

Comment

Thanks! Three quick questions:

1) Will it also show LX flights/award availability
        Yes.

2) Will A award availability show on the 'Lite' tier
        No.

3) What tier do I need to obtain entire *A award availability?
        Platinum (or higher) -- please see http://Levels.KVSTool.com/

Comment

Thank you, KVS - will try to familiarise myself more (now the Tool works fine unlike last year for me) before making the decision, cheers...

Comment

If only KVS was OSX friendly... (Native to OSX minus the need for emulators)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              If only KVS was OSX friendly... (Native to OSX minus the need for emulators)
              Are you using ExpertFlyer, Nick C?

Comment

Hello everyone! As a new member to the SQTalk board we're happy to be here and offer any assistance we can. Regarding the whole EF vs KVS debate, I wanted to give a little background on how EF works:

ExpertFlyer is a web based tool that uses direct connections to multiple GDSs to get real-time availability, fare, seat map, award/upgrade and other air data. This has a cost, every time we perform a search on our users behalf the GDSs charge us a small amount. This is why we have the subscription plans we do. The benefit of this, is that we can access data that isn't available elsewhere, not even on an airline website, and in a way that's user friendly (like graphical seat maps) to our subscribers. It also means that we can choose for the user the best source for a given query for a given airline. It’s all transparent and seamless, our users don’t have to worry about “methods” or how we access the data. It just works.

That being said, how are we different then KVS?

The fundamental difference is that ExpertFlyer is a full suite of web based tools that go above and beyond any service you can find on any other website. KVS on the other hand, is just a web browser that screen scrapes publicly available and free data that can be easily found on various airline and other websites. For example:

There is no "exclusive" data in KVS as it is all available elsewhere, for free. So buying a subscription to KVS is buying a subscription to a web browser. Some people know how KVS works, however many don't (we've been asked). If you feel that a custom web browser has value to you, then buy it, however it should be out in the open that you don’t have to do so based on the expectation of access to "exclusive" data.

That aside, here’s what is unique to ExpertFlyer:
                • Seat Alerts – be notified when the seat(s) you want to sit in become available, and/or any aisle/window seat if you’re stuck in the middle seat.
                • Flight Alerts – be notified when the class bucket availability you want becomes available. Either fare class or any award/upgrade class that we support
                • Graphical Seat Maps – for about 90 airlines now, soon to be over 100. (List Here)
                • Mobile version – mobile.expertflyer.com works on any WAP enabled phone and has the full functionality of the regular website. Available to Premium subscribers.
                • +/- 3 day searches – Search for flight availability or award/upgrades for up to 7 days in each direction (14 days total for a R/T) in one search on one page (either list or tab separated). Available to Premium subscribers.
                • 5 Day Free trial – ExpertFlyer has a no credit card required 5-day free trial to try out our service. Give us a spin, also a good way to be notified of future updates.

FYI, the *A airlines we support for award and/or upgrade searches are: AC, CA, NZ, BD, SN, FM, LX, UA, & just added A3 (31 airlines in total, list here)

We’re always working on improving our service, and we have many more updates coming over the next few months as well.

Any questions feel free to PM me or email customercare@expertflyer.com

-EFV

Comment

EF Voice, any plans in the pipeline to release an iPhone App for ExpertFlyer?
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Thanks ExpertFlyer Voice, I didn't realise LH or SQ (two airlines in particular that I do have interest in checking award availabilities on) are not covered.

Will take that into consideration before deciding which way to go. I'm aware SQ availability can be checked elsewhere and LH probably with a M&M account, which is tedious...

Comment

Are you using ExpertFlyer, Nick C?
                      I just noticed this post. Sorry Kyo

I do use EF mainly for my domestic QF flights.

Comment

Originally posted by ExpertFlyer Voice View Post
                        ....[*]Flight Alerts – be notified when the class bucket availability you want becomes available. Either fare class or any award/upgrade class that we support...
                        Good to see EF here on SQTalk.

I like EF, however I found Flight Alert to be of limited use. It checks individual flight availabilities only. It doesn't work when you have married segments. Is there a way to improve this?

Comment

Indeed, welcome to SQTalk, EFV.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                            Good to see EF here on SQTalk.

I like EF, however I found Flight Alert to be of limited use. It checks individual flight availabilities only. It doesn't work when you have married segments. Is there a way to improve this?
                            Allowing for married segment Flight Alerts is something we're going to work on later this year (after we implement all the data improvements).

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                            EF Voice, any plans in the pipeline to release an iPhone App for ExpertFlyer?
                            Maybe, we have many more important things to do first (see above) we already have 2 versions that work on the iphone so we're in no rush. We're looking at re-skinning the mobile site as an option as well.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, Expertflyer Voice. And also to KVS of course.

No hair pulling and scratching please folks.

Comment

Can I resurrect this thread to ask for expert opinions on whether KVS or EF is better for someone who travels mainly on *A for both commercial and redemption basis? I don't travel enough to justify both. There are opinions elsewhere, just like an update on both if there're any.

I would like to access them while traveling, which means mostly through the iPad. I see that KVS does have web-access now instead of just thin-client. Is that as comprehensive?

Thanks for info.

Comment

Working...
                                X