How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many DSLR users here?

Just curious. I'm still learning, and the pics aren't quite up to the standard I would like - so maybe we could use this thread to share tips?

I'm a Canon 450D user BTW

Nikon D80 user here.

Comment

Nikon D60 user here!
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Nikon D40 here..

Comment

When is the damn 5D MKII coming out here... been salivating for agessss. Not to mention the 'official' launch was quite awhile ago!

Hmm, then again, I'm expecting the Aussie prices to be very decent. US prices also should be decent (pity about the exchange rate).

Aiming to get one as soon as Sim Lim Square has one..

(Still like my Ixus though)

Comment

Argh! Outnumbered by darksiders

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Argh! Outnumbered by darksiders
              1 Dee to the rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                1 Dee to the rescue
                Mark 1,2,3, S or N?

Comment

Mark 1,2,3, S or N?
                  Just a mk2. The mk4 is coming out next year so I will be skipping the mk3.

Comment

Olympus E-1
                    Canon 40D
                    Canon 1D MkII N

Currently debating whether to get the 5D II in HKG early January '09 (if I find any left, of course...) or postpone it for Nov '09 in the U.S.

And if anyone wants tips, just ask. Will post if I know the answer or if I can redirect you where you may be able to find it.

Most important tip: shut off your pc, take your camera, get out and keep shooting, keep experimenting.

Last edited by N_Architect; 11 November 2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

N_Architect: Some serious (and very nice) equipment you've got there... interesting to see you are gonna get the 5D when you use a 1D already, though.

(but yes, I have read and there are instances where both will have different advantages - keep on taking those great photos!)

Comment

OMG.... look at all those red lined cylindrical objects! A tilt shift too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Hmm, then again, I'm expecting the Aussie prices to be very decent. US prices also should be decent (pity about the exchange rate).

(Still like my Ixus though)
                          Kyo, at the moment with the exchange rate, Australian prices for DSLRs are indeed very cheap compared to Singapore. If you refer here to Canon price list of a shop in Melbourne city, you can see 5D Mk II's pre-order price is only AUD$3,999! Add the GST refund benefit and you will end up paying only AUD$3,635! Considering that Singapore price is expected to be near S$5,000. Especially with the recent price adjustement by Canon USA due to strong Yen, the Australian price is indeed very cheap! Models like 1000D and 450D are a few hundred cheaper than available in Singapore at the moment, not even accounting for the GST benefit.

However the problem with buying DSLR bodies is they do not have international warranty, unlike lenses which do (not the get market ones). So even if the cost saving is more than a couple of hundred dollars, if there is any problem then all the cost saving will be wiped out by one visit to the service centre.

Also agreed with carrying a small camera wherever you go, sometimes just not convenient to carry around a DSLR when you go walking around. I often use my A710IS for snap shots when I am walking around the city.

To add some support to Team Canon in SQTalk, I am using the first generation EOS 1D, and considering upgrading to either 5D Mk II, or to get a EOS 1000D + the new Tamron 18-270mm all in one combination for an upcoming long trip I have planned. The new generation of cameras have very superior ISO control, and I think shooting ISO400 is "the norm" now, something I cannot get away with on my 1D.

Will also be more than happy to share any photography tips.

Comment

I'm a Canon 450D user BTW
                            We're camera twins!!!!!!

Got mine last year shortly after launch, friend of mine picked it up in SG and hand-delivered it so that I needn't pay exorbitant EU prices. I've since then bought a 50mm f1.4 prime lens, and the 10-22mm UWA.

Not sure yet if I should get the 55-200 or 14-70L next. And I still need to get filters... the shopping list is long for my next trip to SG.

Comment

Over the years, phaleesy and I have ended up with the following:

Cameras:

Canon 5QD (pre-digital)
                              Canon 5D
                              Canon 400D

Lenses (some cr*p and others not too bad):

Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
                              Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6

Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L
                              Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L
                              Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5
                              Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
                              Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS
                              Canon EF 100-300 f/5.6 L

When travelling generally, we tend to take just the following:

Canon 5D
                              Canon 400D

Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L
                              Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
                              Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS

but find a couple of Canon compact cameras indispensable for food/plane shots.

What do others take when out and about generally ?
                              Last edited by jhm; 11 November 2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X