Do You Use Compatible Battery Packs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Use Compatible Battery Packs?

I bought a brand-new Canon Digital IXUS 950IS a couple of months back, and since I had the misfortune of having a battery die on me twice in the middle of events, I decided to get a spare.

Now, a genuine Canon NB-5L Battery Pack costs S$89. There was no way I would pay that sort of price for a simple, made-in-China battery. If anything, the components are simple and Canon charges a premium for the brand name.

In the absence of a sale during which genuine batteries went for much less, I opted for a compatible. I am aware of the risks, however, I'm hoping that this battery would work as well, if not better than, the original. For the record, I paid a hefty S$55 for it -- Yes, now I realise I have been conned.

What are your experiences with compatible products?
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Use Olympus

I don't know about the batteries though. If the non-canon batteries are as well as the canon-ones, they might one day let go of their fluid and canon won't repair the camera if they realise the battery you used isn't the original one... happened to my parents one time with a camcorder. Not so good...
    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

I used a compatible battery pack for my Canon Ixus for part of my trip to Sydney and KL this summer. It lasted from the LHR SKL to the BKK TG Lounge. The real battery lasted from that point all the way back to LHR, spanning several flights and multi-day stays in SYD and KUL.

After that, I'd pay extra for the Canon battery.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Tried a compatible Nokia battery once. Charge did not hold as long as the original Nokia. Since then, have not purchased another

Comment

Compatible batteries worked for my IXUS last time, before they all died (they do not have a long life). I got mine for less than $30, so not too bad. For phones and DSLRs, no, always original batteries.

Comment

Well then, use olympus
            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
            X