Seatback cameras in SQ's new Y cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatback cameras in SQ's new Y cabin

Very interesting observation made on Twitter has gotten a response from SQ's official account:

Originally posted by Vitaly Kamluk
    Just found this interesting sensor looking at me from the seat back on board of Singapore Airlines. Any expert opinion of whether this a camera? Perhaps @SingaporeAir could clarify how it is used?
    Originally posted by Singapore Airlines
    These cameras have been disabled on our aircraft, and there are no plans to develop any features using the cameras. Thank you.
    https://twitter.com/SingaporeAir/sta...24432848527361

SQ usually has the newest tech, and this is consistent with that. I take them at their word on the cameras being deactivated, but this is eye-opening to say the least! Note: searched for 'camera' in this forum did not find direct references to this.
    Last edited by Stratoliner777; 19 February 2019, 10:43 AM. Reason: add detail

I'm guessing this is there for some kind of "FaceTime" facility once wifi in the air is much cheaper, but I really don't care to know it's there. Well spotted! I didn't notice it on my recent flight with the new product.

I used to really like the fact that on a flight things were all closed circuit. A few hours where I had an excuse not to be available electronically. I'm not looking forward to future flights where the person sitting behind me talks loudly at their screen to someone on the ground.

Comment

It was during my last flight on SQ A350 plane in early February that I learnt that the part which is now supposed to be the camera also act as a sensor switch to prompt some settings window to appear on screen. One of the function on the pop-up on screen includes turning on and off the reading light below the screen. This LED reading lights below the screen, I got to know, is a SQ-patented design which has appeared since 2006 SQ economy seat design and which I find very useful and I had not been able to verify that this light is available on the new seat design until recently. I don’t reckon other airlines having such reading lights, usually only the one on the overhead panel.

Comment

I noticed them on the A380 PEY screens the first time I flew SQ PEY in Jan 2017 and snapped a photo:

There are other sensors as well next to the camera. The longer one in the middle pulls up the pop-up menu (as alluded by davidfusq) with options such as turning the screen off.

I did wonder if the cameras came with the screens but were without functionality. Thanks for bringing it to attention through this thread, Stratoliner777.

Comment

hmmm if activated, to make sure people domt steal the life jacket or menu card or safety card ha ha.........

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            I did wonder if the cameras came with the screens but were without functionality. Thanks for bringing it to attention through this thread, Stratoliner777.
            Thanks for the photos!

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            hmmm if activated, to make sure people domt steal the life jacket or menu card or safety card ha ha.........
            Ah, the real reason!

Comment

I think it is a camera embedded with Panasonic - I think I have seen it too on CX aircraft before too

Comment

Working...
              X