• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SQTalk Tumi thread

I'm backkkkkkkkkkkk from a weekend in New York
    Last edited by jjpb3; 30 May 2007, 06:49 AM. Reason: Start of a new thread

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
    I'm backkkkkkkkkkkk.
    Welcome back! What did you think of NYC? Did you end up buying your Tumi?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Welcome back! What did you think of NYC? Did you end up buying your Tumi?
      Fab! Very manic but a more crazier version of London. Nice to visit but if one stays there and does not belong to a certain economic level, it's gonna wear one down. Will post atrip report soon with pics.

Tumi? 50% off and I am a very proud owner of 2 Tumi items. Spent hrs admiring the products after I bought them.

Comment

Fab! Very manic but a more crazier version of London. Nice to visit but if one stays there and does not belong to a certain economic level, it's gonna wear one down. Will post atrip report soon with pics.
        Looking forward to that, especially on how you got run down. I love New York's energy. When I first arrived in London, I thought ... wow, how nice to be in a laid back city.
        Tumi? 50% off and I am a very proud owner of 2 Tumi items. Spent hrs admiring the products after I bought them.
        His Excellency (The Right Honourable StarG) will be most proud of your purchase decision ... and of your post-purchase behavior.

Comment

Spill the beans! How much and which kind you got? Which shop exactly? I need a new one. Smaller rollabag. My Delsey seems rattled now with all those heavy stuff inside.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            Spill the beans! How much and which kind you got? Which shop exactly? I need a new one.
            OK, ok, you twisted my arm...I went to the flagship store in NY. For reference, the new backpack (Ballistic nylon Gen4.4) cost £330 in UK. There, it was sold for US$395. Oops..that only 40% off.

In addition, for every $500 you spend, you get $100 off. So I bought a 22" roll on and received $200 voucher which I used on my backpack taking that price down to $195. Not bad at all.

Comment

OK, ok, you twisted my arm...I went to the flagship store in NY. For reference, the new backpack (Ballistic nylon Gen4.4) cost £330 in UK. There, it was sold for US$395. Oops..that only 40% off.

In addition, for every $500 you spend, you get $100 off. So I bought a 22" roll on and received $200 voucher which I used on my backpack taking that price down to $195. Not bad at all.
              You know the 22" can't fit into the LHR gauges, right? You need the 20" non-expandable rollaboard, in case the LHR goons pick on you.

Comment

You know the 22" can't fit into the LHR gauges, right? You need the 20" non-expandable rollaboard, in case the LHR goons pick on you.

Then I can just show them the printout from BAA website. We just have to be nice to the LHR goons.

When I came back, the new Tumi was hand luggage from LHR to back home domestic.

Comment

I have that 22" non-expandable. And had problem many time flying around Europe. That's why I get my Delsey 20". Now looking for Tumi 20"

Comment

Now looking for Tumi 20"
                    The 20" is in short supply in the US as that was my first choice. The Store manageress said that I can email them and wait for them to stock up before heading over to NY again.

Comment

I have that 22" non-expandable. And had problem many time flying around Europe.
                      Ooh, you have to tell me more....besides HKG (StarG told me about this), no problems elsewhere. What about ICN, NRT, BKK, SFO, LAX, FRA?

Comment

Then I can just show them the printout from BAA website. We just have to be nice to the LHR goons.

When I came back, the new Tumi was hand luggage from LHR to back home domestic.
                        The measurements shown on the website include wheels and handles. I've measured the 22" rollaboard (yes, I carry a tape measure with me when I shop for carryon luggage ) -- the wheels and handles make it just exceed the gauge limits. So if a goon decides to check for conformity, it will fail. (I take it you weren't asked to place it in the gauge? Visually, it would fall in the gray zone so a lazy goon wouldn't accost you.)

Comment

The measurements shown on the website include wheels and handles. I've measured the 22" rollaboard (yes, I carry a tape measure with me when I shop for carryon luggage ) -- the wheels and handles make it just exceed the gauge limits. So if a goon decides to check for conformity, it will fail. (I take it you weren't asked to place it in the gauge? Visually, it would fall in the gray zone so a lazy goon wouldn't accost you.)

Aaarghhhh...now you got me worried and deflated my enthusiasm. Indeed no LHR goon accosted me yet. Good idea abt the tape measure.... Maybe I need to give my 22" Tumi away and buy a 20" one?

Comment

Part of the pleasure of owning the 20" one, I have to admit, is watching the expression on the goon's face after he or she demands you place it in the gauge. "Oh oroit, that's fine then."

After the new rules, I gave my 22" to my brother and got the 20" one. I'm just risk-averse, so YMMV.

Comment

Now I remember what happened at T1 and T2. Yes, using my Tumi 22", and I am Asian .... (remember I am not that tall) so the guy just pulled me aside. And of course the caucasian with the same exact 22" bag got away with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X