Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between CPL, MPL and ATPL and possible career paths

Hello SQTalk members,

I am an 18-year old aspiring pilot and have been looking at the different pilot training courses listed on the ST Aerospace Academy website. I see that there are four options an aspiring pilot can pursue - CASA CPL/IR (Commercial Pilot License/Instrument Rating), CAAS CPL/IR, CAAS ATPL (Air Transport Pilot License) Theory, Qatar Airways MPL (Multi-Crew Pilot License) Cadet Pilot Programme. From what I have read online regarding the MPL with Qatar, it involves an 18 month training period after which you are bound to the airline (in this case, Qatar) for a certain period of time. The airline also provides the type-rating (TR) for the specific aircraft. It also seems that the MPL is locked to a single airline, i.e. a pilot holding the MPL with Qatar Airways cannot join another airline (e.g. Singapore Airlines) after serving the bond period as each airline has different MPL programmes (if at all).

I also read that to be able to change airlines after serving the bond period, one needs an unfrozen ATPL. The 'frozen' ATPL is defined by Scoot on their cadet pilot programme page that it is equivalent to the CPL, and it seems that a combination of the CPL and 1500 flying hours are required to be able to move from an MPL to an ATPL, which then allows one to switch between airlines at will.

I would like clarifications regarding all the three licenses. My specific queries are as follows:
    1. What does each license entail? What are the specific differences between the CPL, MPL and ATPL (unfrozen and frozen)?
    2. If an individual opts for an MPL course (like the Qatar MPL course), what are the requirements one must fulfill to be able to get an unfrozen ATPL and switch airlines? Is it simply serving the bond period, or does it involve obtaining the CPL, as well as 1500 flying hours too?
    3. Are each country's aviation authorities having different levels of certification for the Class 1 unrestricted medical certification? If so, when having training that spans different countries (e.g. Singapore and Australia), do I have to pass both medical certifications? If yes, will I be able to give both medical certifications at one go before I sink capital into the training?
    4. If one opts for the CPL course, how does one go obtaining an unfrozen ATPL?

If anyone can help me answer these questions, or point me to a trusted source that can give me my answers, I'll be hugely grateful. Thank you!

Chanced upon this link and thought it might be relevant for you: http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ca...-appointments/

Comment

PPRUNE might be a better forum for this question.

Comment

Hi shikhargpt

I am currently a student pilot based in Perth who went through almost the same situation you're going through right now prior to starting my flight training and completely understand the confusion you and with all the different licences and flight training options. I am not a professional pilot at this point of time by any means, but I hope I can give you some helpful information through my experience.

Commercial Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating (CPL/IR) - The traditional ab-initio method of training pilots for the airlines. The CPL/IR are the bare necessities for anyone thinking of a career in the airlines. Trainees spend about 200 hours training on small general aviation aircraft. While in Singapore we think of commercial pilots only as those who helm the large jets taking off and landing at Changi, the term 'commercial pilot' technically means any pilot who flies for financial compensation (pay) for their services which can range from corporate jet charters to crop-dusting.

Anyway, to get to the airlines, CPL/IR holders must adapt from operating in a GA environment (single crew, piston engines) to an airline environment (multi-crew, turbine engine) by doing a Jet Orientation and Multi-Crew Coordination (JOC/MCC) and a type rating course (typically $20-50k on top of CPL/IR if not sponsored by airline). A type rating is like a special add-on to the licence allowing the holder to fly ONE specific aeroplane (eg: B737 TR allows you to fly only Boeing 737s.) To move on to another aircraft type, such as say, an A320, the pilot will have to get another type rating. After going through all this, the pilot starts off his/her airline career as a second officer (first on smaller airlines).

As far as the differences between the Singaporean (CAAS) and Australian (CASA) courses go, I think the Singaporean (CAAS) course comes with ATPL theory while the Australian (CASA) one does not, and on top of that, you need to do a conversion to use a CASA licence in Singapore.

Air-Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) - Is the pinnacle of pilot licencing. It essentially allows a holder to be in command of a scheduled air carrier's aircraft (in English: airline captain). A CPL holder receives a 'frozen ATPL' upon passing all required ATPL exams (yet still essentially holds a CPL holder on paper). After logging 1500 hours, he/she 'unfreezes' this and receives all unconditional privileges of the ATPL.

The ATPL (Air Transport Pilot License) Theory course you mentioned is essentially what it says it is - a theory course covering all the relavant ATPL theory. With that being said, I believe this course is part of the CAAS CPL/IR course.

Multi-Crew Pilot Licence (MPL) - Because of the anticipated rapid growth in global air travel, ICAO devised an alternative all-in flight-training method to streamline pilot hopefuls to the airlines to meet these demands. If the CPL/IR is a cheeseburger, think of the MPL as an Combo Meal, with the ATPL theory, core flight training, type rating and line training all rolled into one package. Essentially, an airline adhering to this scheme trains their cadets through their own flying college or in agreement with a flight training organization from zero hours where they are indoctrinated with the company's standard operating procedures, to being a first-officer at the end of this course.

Since GA flying is of little relevance to airline operations, the actual time spent flying is reduced to almost half at 100 hours. This in principle is enough to allow the MPL candidate to be familiar with fundamental flying principles, yet short enough so as not to to get him/her stuck with single-crew operation procedures and allowing an easier transition to a multi-crew environment. The rest of the training is then done in simulators replicating the feel of the big jets the will actually come to fly.

Like the CPL/IR, an MPL holder unlocks the ATPL after racking up the magic 1500 hours. However, as far as I am aware, I have never heard of a MPL-trained captain thus far.

The main flaw about MPL is that the holder's licence is tied to his/her respective airline, so as you mentioned the pilot can't change airline without unlocking the ATPL. In the worse-case scenario, if the airline goes bust, the MPL becomes invalid. MPL holders are also strictly prohibited to fly single-crew aircraft but if you don't plan to do GA work such as charter or hire a Cessna to take your friends or family on a weekend getaway, that doesn't really matter.

Whew! That was a lot of typing!
        Last edited by flyingwee; 8 August 2015, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X