Boiled Eggs in F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Eggs in F

Throughout these years of flying multiple times on SQ F, I have never once ordered 'boiled eggs' when selecting egg dishes off the breakfast menu and always consider it worthless.

My mentality towards 'boiled eggs' is one that is the cheapest and among the easiest to prepare and find it "Why on earth should I pay for F and order something as cheap as boiled eggs when as long as I've got a stove and a boiling pan at home, I can make it myself with hardly any hassles?"

With scrambled or baked, at least they require more time for preparation and some skill involved in doing them thus I don't mind ordering them and have ordered so on several occassions off the F breakfast menu and quality also better. But c'mon with boiled eggs, why should I bother with it as a "Main BF Dish" when I paying $$$ for a F ticket?

So I am curious what others think of ordering boiled eggs of the BF menu in F? Have you ordered them before or do you do so regularly? Do you feel it is worth having ordered boiled eggs for a F BF?
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

I would definitely order boiled eggs if I knew that they're runny and come with toast soldiers!

Better any day than airline scrambled eggs made with powder or rubbery over poached eggs.

As for whether it's value for money to order a boiled egg in F, I don't think it's an issue. IMO, the luxury of F is eating what I want and if I happen to feel like a boiled egg then, that's what it'll be. Why force myself to choose my 2nd choice merely because that 2nd choice is dearer or more complicated than my 1st choice ?

Edit: it seems to perhaps be a peculiar English thing ?

http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/eggandsoldiers

Nevertheless, I certainly wouldn't complain if they served this in BA F for example.

Comment

If I like boiled eggs, I will order boiled eggs in F, whether I found it "worth it" or not. Obviously, if I didn't like boiled eggs, I would simply not order them. Plenty of people like it at breakfast even at home (when they could presumably make other egg dishes as they desired), so it is just another option that can cater for some people's preferences.

Just like the "Super Cheeseburger" on NH F, it's about having the choice, and if people want it they can order it. No need to only offer things that are "worthy" of F.

Comment

PS. Some of the best tasting dishes (to me, anyway) do not involve any expensive ingredients or elaborate preparation - sometimes, simple noodles from a street stand can be exactly what you want right then, even if you have more than enough money to go to a 3* restaurant for a 7-course meal.

Just like you can't have heavy and huge French dinners every day (well, you could, but you will balloon in size unrecognisably) and sometimes crave something very simple, I see nothing wrong with offering simply boiled egg in F because not everyone wants "F-style" food all the time.

Comment

I'm with Rejuvanted on this.

Same reason why when I go to coffee-shops or hawker and never order canned drinks. No value add.

But hey, there's no right/wrong, just personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
            Do you feel it is worth having ordered boiled eggs for a F BF?
            Absolutely. I love 'em - doesn't matter where or how. I prefer them (half-boiled) to say scrambled eggs, so no amount of $$$ paid for these tickets will change that preference

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              As for whether it's value for money to order a boiled egg in F, I don't think it's an issue. IMO, the luxury of F is eating what I want and if I happen to feel like a boiled egg then, that's what it'll be. Why force myself to choose my 2nd choice merely because that 2nd choice is dearer or more complicated than my 1st choice ?
              Just a postscript to this.

I flew NH longhaul F recently and had for breakfast ... out of the choice available on the amazingly wide ranging menu ... an orange juice, a bowl of cornflakes and a coffee.

Thinking about it now, I wonder why I didn't go for the famous NH Super Cheeseburger (washed down with Krug) but at the time, it just felt right.

Comment

Well if I had paid for F, I would have ALL the variety of eggs that is on OFFER.

Comment

Which brings to mind a 1980s Air Canada TV ad where the punchline was about being able to order coddled eggs in F. (Yes AC had F then...)

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    Edit: it seems to perhaps be a peculiar English thing ?
                    Well I'm English and the most memorable food experience I had on my only Suites flight was a sudden craving for ice cream being addressed with some choc ices brought up from economy. They really hit the spot.

Comment

Even in F I tend not to like scrambled eggs on a plane so would go for the boiled egg everytime.

The nicest scrambled eggs I have ever had on a plane was in BA economy. Now normally BA economy scrambled eggs is totally inedible to me. So I guess this was more along the lines of an infinite numbers of monkeys given an infinite amount of time will produce the complete works of shakespear. Then it is only logical that a airline catering company producing huge quantities of scrambled eggs over a long number of years will eventually produce one that it nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X