X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA, US introduce checked baggage fee

.. in joining AA to raise more revenue amid surging oil costs

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/0...ags/index.html

Sorry, I'm new to the whole 'pay for checked baggage' idea.
    From reading the article, the charge only applies for passengers whos ticket is issued after today?

Would someone clarify please? Thank you
    zxcvbn

Comment

Sad news. But I guess with the oil price what they are today, they have to start exploring unconventional solutions.
      Hope I won't hear the same news coming form CX/SQ.

Comment

Yes, the fee applies on a going-forward basis only to tickets issued after the new fee was announced. Baggage charges form part of the contract between pax and airline, and the airline cannot unilaterally change the contract. All it can do it set new terms for future contracts.

Comment

Ok I'm behind the curve here.

So to clarify what's stated in the article, this new model does not involve F & J pax and those with status on the carrier or their alliance?

Comment

UA checked bag policy for "United Economy® travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada"
            http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

US checked bag policy
            http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...epolicies.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
              Sad news. But I guess with the oil price what they are today, they have to start exploring unconventional solutions.
              Agreed. As stated before in the forums, the American carriers did a bunch of surveys and focus groups to determine if the public here liked or disliked being nickeled and dimed. Though I completely disagree, the resounding answer was, "please bilk me throughout the entire process of flying."

They just completed a year long study of whether we will want to be charged for pop (I mean, "soda" [I'm from the Midwest]). I've heard it's not far behind this retarded move.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Agreed. As stated before in the forums, the American carriers did a bunch of surveys and focus groups to determine if the public here liked or disliked being nickeled and dimed. Though I completely disagree, the resounding answer was, "please bilk me throughout the entire process of flying."

They just completed a year long study of whether we will want to be charged for pop (I mean, "soda" [I'm from the Midwest]). I've heard it's not far behind this retarded move.
                you are right HugeAL, us airways just announced they will start charging passengers $2 for a can of soda or juice. just in case they really start getting stingy, make sure to bring your own toilet paper.

Comment

I love your terminology HUGE AL "pop" is what the older generation in the UK use to refer to fizzy drinks, as in "I'd love a tin of pop" (note, I'm not including myself in this broad sweeping generalisation! We've not quite graduated to "soda" yet (thankfully )

...just pulling your leg you understand Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                    Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle
                    Congratulations!
                    Your trip will be splendid and swell...
                    But just make sure that your reservation showing your newly minted RA status!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                      Congratulations!
                      Your trip will be splendid and swell...
                      But just make sure that your reservation showing your newly minted RA status!
                      Thanks,...it will indeed be "splendid and swell" hehe Yes, all ICs in the itinerary have been informed that a VIP will be staying

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                        I love your terminology HUGE AL "pop" is what the older generation in the UK use to refer to fizzy drinks, as in "I'd love a tin of pop" (note, I'm not including myself in this broad sweeping generalisation! We've not quite graduated to "soda" yet (thankfully )

...just pulling your leg you understand Finally got my RA through yesterday, so free minibars and as many fizzy drinks as I can handle
                        "Pop" causes many an argument here in the US.

As for your RA status, when are we meeting up and where? Wasn't there a thread on TOF regarding the best minibars?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

"Pop" causes many an argument here in the US.

As for your RA status, when are we meeting up and where? Wasn't there a thread on TOF regarding the best minibars?
                          Must check that thread out Current itinerary includes HKG, BKK and SIN ICs, but maybe a roll-out to other destinations - will keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
                          X