Long haul domestic flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long haul domestic flights

Well it didn't occur to me how big America was until I booked a couple of flights over the weekend.

HNL-DFW - 7 hrs 20 mins. That;s the same length as my transatlantic flight later in the itinerary JFK-LHR.

I also saw another flight that was about 500 miles longer HNL-ORD.

And I thought the transcons were sufficiently lenghty. It now makes SIN-MEL/SYD flights feel decidedly regional.

I do hope the airlines treat Hawaii flights as somewhat international, ie flights that merit better service than regular domestic flights - but I'm not holding my breath.

Other than transcons in the US, has anyone experienced these long haul domestic flights? I'd assume Russia or Canada would also have such flights, given their sheer mass.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 3 November 2007, 08:05 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

does Kota Kinabalu - K.L count ? haha I've done it on MH066 though the flight originated from Seoul.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
      does Kota Kinabalu - K.L count ? haha I've done it on MH066 though the flight originated from Seoul.
      Not at just 2.5 hours it doesn't!.

I've done that flight on a 734, A330, 772 and 744. Last time was a 772 that came from NRT.

Comment

Reminds me of a DL flight I took once from ATL-LAX. Prior to take off the captain told us that "sometime" during the journey, we'd cross the grand canyon and that weather was expected to be fine, and that we'd have a great view of it.

My colleague sitting next to me was needless to say, very excited about the prospect. So I let him have the window seat. Unfortunately, he was also having some trouble with his stomach - but he valiantly held it all in and refused to budge fearing he'd miss the event.

He kept it in until he couldn't anymore, and finally HAD TO make a dash for the loo. As luck would have had it...... turns out the ONLY 5 minutes he was gone from his seat the entire flight was the 5 minutes we took to overfly the grand canyon. .

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          luck would have had it...... turns out the ONLY 5 minutes he was gone from his seat the entire flight was the 5 minutes we took to overfly the grand canyon. .
          Maybe this is why plane toilets come with windows these days.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Maybe this is why plane toilets come with windows these days.
            But if you are doing a big business, it won't be that easy to turn your head to look out the window (-_-)

Comment

Other than transcons in the US, has anyone experienced these long haul domestic flights? I'd assume Russia or Canada would also have such flights, given their sheer mass.
              Well, I haven't yet flown any of those long domestic flights, but Russia still has some 8-houers-domestic flights.
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Hi Keithmel if you fly through Air Canada and get lucky you will get one of the newer aircrafts with AVOD's on a trans-Canada flight but if its through the US all you will get is those TV screens that fold down just for the safety video and the radio to entertain yourself. So in conclusion you'll be lucky to even get a movie on the flight.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
                  But if you are doing a big business, it won't be that easy to turn your head to look out the window (-_-)
                  One could always sit the other way

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    One could always sit the other way
                    Ouch.......

Comment

I do hope the airlines treat Hawaii flights as somewhat international, ie flights that merit better service than regular domestic flights - but I'm not holding my breath.
                      The only USA carrier that does this is NW's HNL=>MSP flight (one per day I think) where they use their internationally configured A330 -- though I have never flown the routing.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

The longest one I believe domestic wise for USA is HNL-EWR on CO...IIRC it's close to 10 hours one way....it's almost like flying westcoast to Japan

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                          HNL-EWR on CO...IIRC it's close to 10 hours one way....
                          That's almost the same time as flying from Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei (TPE)
                          Last edited by AndrewSQ011; 11 November 2007, 01:57 PM.
                          "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
                            That's almost the same time as flying from Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei (TPE)
                            I've flown that route 8 times. Its never been that short. What airline/plane does that route that short?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              I've flown that route 8 times. Its never been that short. What airline/plane does that route that short?
                              I traveled with Malaysia Airlines on MH095 last year and it reached Taipei from Los Angeles in 10 hours, even my parents didn't believe that the plane would arrive so quick, but I found out that it was making up the time lost at LAX because the plane (9M-MPB) was delayed for almost 2 hours
                              Last edited by AndrewSQ011; 12 November 2007, 03:22 PM.
                              "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Working...
                              X