Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics as checked in baggage

Hi everyone.
    I'm gonna be flying from KCH-SG-MUC-MAN in about 2 weeks time. Will be studying in the UK.

I'm planning to bring some computer parts into the UK. With that in mind, i will put the more fragile/sensitive parts in my cabin baggage and the rest in the check in baggage. I'm also planning to bring my 27" monitor with me. (still in original packaging - DELL)

Is it safe to do so?
    Can anyone suggest what i could/should be doing to avoid any unnecessary hiccups?
    Are there going to be taxes charged in bringing electronics into the UK?

Any experience and opinion are greatly appreciated. thanks.

All I can say is, having a Dell 27" myself (a few, actually). Dell 'original packaging' boxes are HUGE, good luck checking those in from KCH! You'll probably be redirected to pay for it separately imo...

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, Kiwiboy.

Is it really worth dragging a 27" monitor all the way from Sarawak?. Are those things that much more expensive over here ?

Comment

If you see the number of 40-50" TV's wheeled through Changi on their way back to the Indian sub-continent then I would say, yes, technically possible but I don't know if they charge you more than it is worth bearing in mind you'll still be held to your weight allowance.

The UK is pretty cheap these days so buying a new one should not be an effort. Expect to pay anywhere over GBP130 depending on specifications though the average is probably closer to GBP200.

PC Hard Disks etc. should be in your hand carry......everything else can be fixed.

Comment

Thank you for the inputs guys.

The monitor that i have is PRETTY new and i thought i could save up some money if i were to bring it and not get a new one there.

I have been given a 40 kg check in baggage because i am a student (asked for student fare). In order to fully utilize the 40 kg allowance i have, i thought of bringing my monitor.

Are they going to handle the monitor with care? (Sometimes even with the FRAGILE sign pasted, baggages are not properly handled) It should be part of the check in baggage allowance right? I don't mind paying a little extra though.

Are TVs, monitors, musical instruments, etc. put in a separate section in the plane? (not together with other bags)

Comment

Don't think you will be allowed.

1) It is over the allowed size for cabin luggage.
            2) Don't think it really fit cabin storage. If my knowledge are right, your KCH-SIN will be serve by Silkair on A320.
            3) Hopefully you are not doing that as i assume beside the monitor you will be carrying with other hand carry. Pity on those who only got a 20' luggage but cannot stack on your monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by yauee View Post
              Don't think you will be allowed.

1) It is over the allowed size for cabin luggage.
              2) Don't think it really fit cabin storage. If my knowledge are right, your KCH-SIN will be serve by Silkair on A320.
              3) Hopefully you are not doing that as i assume beside the monitor you will be carrying with other hand carry. Pity on those who only got a 20' luggage but cannot stack on your monitor.
              Planning to check my monitor in, not hand carrying it with me.

Comment

Are you planning to go through the Red Channel at customs to declare this when you arrive in the UK? Doing so may result in the payment of VAT or other taxes. Also, going through the Green Channel with such a large box may result in your being stopped and questioned (and if VAT is assessable on the monitor, a penalty payment on top of VAT payable for not going through the Red Channel). So, you may not actually save anything. Just something for you to bear in mind.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-SIN View Post
                  Are you planning to go through the Red Channel at customs to declare this when you arrive in the UK? Doing so may result in the payment of VAT or other taxes. Also, going through the Green Channel with such a large box may result in your being stopped and questioned (and if VAT is assessable on the monitor, a penalty payment on top of VAT payable for not going through the Red Channel). So, you may not actually save anything. Just something for you to bear in mind.......

Not sure that applies to personal items. Taking the receipt and student relocation papers (Uni) etc. will clearly show it is for own use and taxes had been paid already in the country of purchase.

Also, given it is 'only' a monitor the value would likely be low enough and deemed undutiable.

Do prepare to be stopped, though, and do have all your paperwork in order.

Comment

during my student days many years ago, i did attempt this and can i say that the monitor will likely be at least 10 to 20kg. If you add in your winter outfits etc... you'll probably think its better to get a laptop instead. Amazon.co.uk is your friend.

Comment

I have check-in on many occassion electronics items and had no issues. Especially if packed in original boxes, there should be no problem when you did not exceed the allowance baggage weight.

I had carried (checked in) three 24" monitors from Singapore to Hong Kong with them tightly wrapped in bubble bags, (could not find the original boxes) no issues at all.

(Audio)

Comment

Thanks for the sharing of information/experience.

Can i safely assume that as long as i have my paper work in hand (CAS, Accommodation letter, receipt in this case, financial report, etc.), i should be fine?

Checking in the monitor in its original box is safe enough i assume? With all the Styrofoam protecting it? (Keeping in mind that it is going to go from Kuching - Singapore - Munich - Manchester) It is quite an adventure for the monitor since it is definitely going to be moved a lot more times than a single journey flight.

The reason why i am not considering a laptop (i am bringing one. lol) is because of the rendering/photoshop that i would most likely be doing. A 13-15" laptop doesn't seem to be able to offer me the clear colour gamut that a dell 27" would do.

I did think about getting all my computer parts (including a monitor) in the UK but after a thorough research on prices, they are so much more expensive in the UK.

That is why i thought i should make use of my check in baggage allowance.
                        I really hope everything will go smoothly. I can't imagine turning my monitor on and find it dead.

Comment

It's not just the weight. It's the bulk, my friend. There are limits to the bulk that you can carry on board also!

And I KNOW the Dell 27"-ers come in HUGE boxes (comparable to the size of some Sharp 37" LCD TVs). Dell overpacks their monitors something crazy... the amount of styrofoam is ridiculous!! (great for transportation, not so great when it exceeds your bulk dimensions allowance)

I was looking at bringing back LoveSacs from the States once, and The Big One exceeded the dimensions. Would have had to go as cargo, so I scrapped that plan. And that was in R. And that's basically durafoam (light).

Comment

I guess you are right. I will have to think twice about bringing it over then :/

Comment

I have a 27" Dell and have the original box and frequently move it around when I take it to friends' places and the styrofoam is really well designed to support it I think.

I've never had anything broken in any of my transits through SIN. I always place my laptop inside its bag then inside my checked-in case every time I fly from AUS to Europe and then I always bring back either crockery or glassware on my return, again inside my checked suitcase. Always arrives home intact.

Comment

Working...
                              X